Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, I need some help here with understanding this PT145 stuff. I've decided to buy one for my birthday next week, and I want to make sure I get the one I want. I want a freshly NEW PT145 with a stainless slide. I've been reading posts and everything about generations and not being a Mil Pro and whatnot has my head literally spinning. I understand the generations of guns, it's like a generation of anything. Same model, but made years apart, usually getting better each "evolution".

What I don't understand is the Millennium vs. the Millennium Pro, and how to tell one generation from another. Which years were they made? Can I buy a gun that was made in 2007? Or were the ones on the market now machined in 2004?

So many questions...headache....ugh...hope someone can help!

·
Registered
126 Posts
It's highly unlikely that if you buy a new one it would not be a "3rd Gen MilPro", I guess one easy way to tell is that the Millenniums just said that on the slide and the Pro's say Millennium Pro.

·
32,813 Posts
gjk5 is right. A lot of times I will ask that a gun be ordered and not take the gun on display. Too many others have looked at and tried it out already. May not always be a problem, but some places have a gun for quite a while. Ordered guns should be the 3rd generation type.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
How long does it usually take for delivery, and does it cost any extra? That sounds like what I should do. I don't like other people touchin' my goodies. ;D

Also, do you usually have to have the cash up front? I won't have the funds until next week, but if it takes a while I could order it now...so I have to wait less.

·
32,813 Posts
Several days for delivery depending on how close to the store the distributor is. Stores are real tight with the distributors and can tell you that. It may be approximate time for delivery. Depends if the distributor has it on hand at the wharehouse and if not how soon they can get a hold of it.

From personal experience 2 to 3 days, if the gun was on hand and a week or two if not.

And no. There should not be an extra charge for ordering the gun. If the store says yes there is walk away from them and find another store that you can trust.

Just for gee whiz info. Some stores let you buy on a lay-away plan. Gander Mountain and local stores may do this. 30 days or less for full payment may be the rule . Might be longer, but most stores want to see the profit sooner than later. They have bills to pay like everyone else. Some money down know and the rest later. Ask for details and if your store will do that if you decide to go that way.

The gun obviously will be delivered to the store. Background checks have to be done and delivery has to be done by local,state, and federal law.

This may be obvious, but I am going to include that anyway.

And yes. A lot of stores like the cash up front rather than lay away.

Paperwork can be started when it is ordered and then completed once the gun comes in and you go to pick it up.

Oh, Drewbacca. Say hello to and give my regards to Lowbacca and Chewy for me. ;D Something tells me that you here that one way too much. :D

·
Registered
126 Posts
I agree with Qwiks on that too, walk away quickly if they want extra to order it, if it's not even going into their inventory and it's presold why would they want more? Some will ask for a deposit just to guarantee that you actually buy it but with a relatively brisk seller like the PT145 that shouldn't even be the case.

Layaway is a great thing too!

Oh yeah, another good way to see the appox manuf. date of a gun is to look at the test fire casing envelope in the box, it'll be signed and dated (can't remember if my 145 came with one though).

Good luck and safe shooting!

·
32,813 Posts
Some will ask for a deposit just to guarantee that you actually buy it but with a relatively brisk seller like the PT145

This is a quote from gjk 5. The above stated is anyway.

Very good point.

·
Administrator
40,859 Posts
The third letter is the month m=January, n=February etc.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Let's see... I don't think anyone mentioned the clue to generation is where the PRO appears...

Millennium PT145 = first generation
Millennium PRO PT145 = second generation
Millennium PT145 PRO = third generation

·
Registered
8 Posts
Simple

Taurus does not help with this by showing the Generation 2 models both on their website and in their 2007 catalog. From everything I can find on it there is a simple way to tell the difference.

Generation 1 - Does not have Pro anywhere on it DOA
Generation 2 - Has Pro on the left side and DOA. Also has screw on sights.
Generation 3 - Pro has been moved to right side of slide Has Dovetali sights and is straight 8, SA/DA.

Simply look for the dovetail sights. If it has them it is generation 3. If it has screw on sights and says Pro then Generation 2.

Stay away from the Generation 1 models. Generation 2 & 3 are the same except for the sights and trigger. There is a diffference in size and certain holsters for Gen 1 will not work for Gen 2 or 3.

http://www.taurusarmed.net/forums/index.php?topic=830.0

1 - 12 of 12 Posts