Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just picked up a used gen 2 PT145 (DA/SA, no rail with frame that looks like a 709 slim). At any rate I am well pleased with my purchase and expect to shoot this pistol a lot. My problem is that my cast reloads are nose-diving in the mag at about shot 4-6. I want to try to reconcile this issue before I get out shooting next time. In your experience does this sound like:
1. an ammo problem
2. a magazine problem
3. something else

Bullet is a cast Lee 235gr lead RNFP bullet shot alox lubed unsized.

Mag lips seemed rather tight to me and that was my first concern. May also have encountered some "fat" cast bullets and am pursuing that angle also. Read thru the "Last Mag Thread" and made adjustments to 1 mag.

Jams occured with 2 different mags and 2 different shooters. Limp wristing has never been an issue with the CZ 40b, PT140, 709slim, KelTec pf9, Ruger 9mm, Glock 10mm or Kimber 45acp that I own or have shot.

Thanks all for your input on this issue. Good shooting, Bruce H

·
Registered
10,439 Posts
Look at your overall cartridge length and compare that to the SAMMI specs for OAL. If they are too short, that can cause your problem.

You said that are RNFP; round nose flat point can also be the problem if the "soft" lead flat point just hits the edge of the feed ramp; I have fired match grade jacketed RNFP "wadcutters" in my PT145 with no problem, as the gilding metal slides easily over the base of the feed ramp.

Check the feed ramps and make sure that they are smooth and polished; there have been several threads here about safely and simply polishing the feed ramps.

Just for grins, try the PT145's with traditional 230gr RN FMJ and see if those feed any better.

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
Like TA said the first thing I would try is some factory fmj's, It may cheaply and quickly tell you if it's an ammo problem.

·
Registered
29,957 Posts
Look at your overall cartridge length and compare that to the SAMMI specs for OAL. If they are too short, that can cause your problem.

You said that are RNFP; round nose flat point can also be the problem if the "soft" lead flat point just hits the edge of the feed ramp; I have fired match grade jacketed RNFP "wadcutters" in my PT145 with no problem, as the gilding metal slides easily over the base of the feed ramp.

Check the feed ramps and make sure that they are smooth and polished; there have been several threads here about safely and simply polishing the feed ramps.

Just for grins, try the PT145's with traditional 230gr RN FMJ and see if those feed any better.

........Ditto! :thumb:

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
PT145 update- RN ammo feeds fine. What I found on my pistol was that the mag lips were a smidge too narrow for my cast bullets. The first round on a FULL mag would hang up but the next 9 would feed just fine. I opened up the feed lips slightly on both mags and have had no further issues.
Thanks for your help, Bruce H

·
Super Moderator
40,638 Posts
Glad you got it worked out! Thanks for sharing.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts