Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
675 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does Taurus not offer the PT145 any longer?
I looked through their catalog and nothing.

·
Registered
675 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I also noticed there are no medium size pistols in the catalog. Clicked on it....nothing.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I didn't see it in the new catalog either. I hope not. Not only one of my favorite taurus pistols, but one of my favorites in general. I own an xds and I would rather carry the pt145 if I wanted a .45 to carry that particular day. Wonderful gun.

·
Registered
675 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I ran up on the 24/7 G2 compact in .45 while looking for the PT145.
This may just be my next carry weapon.

·
Registered
10,614 Posts
I certainly hope not. The PT145 is one their best models. I hope it is because of the intro of the G2.

Reactions: popscleveland

·
32,759 Posts
Taurus has only the PT111 and PT140 as G2 models only right now. No PT145 in the catalog or available at gun stores.

As NYPD stated there might be good reason for a G2 version of the PT145 to be in the works. It might take a little more engineering to accomplish a PT145 version or something like it to a G2 model.

The PT111 and PT140 would have been easier to upgrade.

Compact and smallish .45 ACP pistols are hard to engineer to be reliable. Granted, the PT145 is reliable, but tweaking something like it is not easy as there are a whole lot of things to overcome. There are also patents of other companies for this kind of thing that need to be worked around. It's not an easy task.

Taurus is aware that the PT145 was a good seller and popular.

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
I hope not, I was hoping to get one at some point.

·
Registered
675 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

·
Registered
589 Posts
But why stop production before a replacement is ready? I know my PT145 is a sweet little pistol.

Taurus has only the PT111 and PT140 as G2 models only right now. No PT145 in the catalog or available at gun stores.

As NYPD stated there might be good reason for a G2 version of the PT145 to be in the works. It might take a little more engineering to accomplish a PT145 version or something like it to a G2 model.

The PT111 and PT140 would have been easier to upgrade.

Compact and smallish .45 ACP pistols are hard to engineer to be reliable. Granted, the PT145 is reliable, but tweaking something like it is not easy as there are a whole lot of things to overcome. There are also patents of other companies for this kind of thing that need to be worked around. It's not an easy task.

Taurus is aware that the PT145 was a good seller and popular.

·
32,759 Posts
Because they have to tool up, get all the machinery set up for it, and Taurus is noted for that kind of thing.

Taurus International in Brazil is in charge of production. Where will it be produced, how many can be or will be imported, have to get through USA government red tape for importation from a anti-gun government, will Taurus USA when it finally get more space for production produce it at new site if there is one, or will Taurus produce it at the USA old site to get around USA government red tape and "points" system" for a gun to get into the country.

Taurus International does stop production on models without notice due to what is listed above as reasons and just because they can.

Taurus 327s and 732s were selling like hotcakes and still got cut without notice at all or with little notice to the public.

PT111G2s and PT140G2s are out there. So there are a lot of factors known and otherwise that Taurus is dealing with.

Remember, as big as Taurus USA is it is still a subsidiary of Taurus International. Taurus International makes all the calls and is part of huge manufacturing conglomerate. Our way of doing things may well be different and foreign to them and the same goes back the other way.

Taurus USA is very important to the Brazil parent company, but is also just a part of the cogs and wheels, and gears of a bigger production machine. I am not going to pretend to try and totally understand how Taurus' management at different levels thinks.

I wish I had the insight but so do a lot of us. :)

1 - 19 of 19 Posts