Taurus Firearm Forum banner

PT145 for safe CCW

4K views 22 replies 14 participants last post by  Jkwas 
#1 ·
I absolutely love my PT145SS. I shoot very accurately with it & love the feel & size. My problem is, I do not feel comfortable carrying it cocked. Is there a safe solution? My other .45 is a P345 ruger, right now I'm leaning toward keeping it & selling the Taurus even though I prefer the PT145. Any help is greatly appreciated.

#3 ·
4play said:
Is there a safe solution?
I agree with NYPD about the safety. But, if you want to carry with a live round in the pipe and the safety off, the PT145 has a built-in safety that blocks the firing pin from striking the primer until the trigger is pulled completely to the rear. Just be sure to always carry your PT145 in a holster that fully protects the trigger if you want to carry that way.

I remember reading on another forum about how each level of precaution was assigned a "Condition," as in Condition 1, Condition 2, etc. I believe there was a poll attached to the thread for readers to respond as to what condition they carried their handgun in. It was fairly interesting. It might make an interesting poll here.

#4 ·
I have pulled the gun out of the holster & found the safety off or moved enough that it may have not been on. I have a CTAC and a Versa Max 2 copy that have both had this happen after wearing for a while running errands. I would just feel better to have the added safety of the first round needing the longer firmer trigger pull. My other guns all have the decocker (except my DAO's) & I feel better carrying that way.

#6 ·
I carry my pt111 with a round in the chamber and safety off virtually everyday. I feel completely safe doing so. Just make sure nothing gets on that trigger. Modern firearms are intended to be carried this way. Despite what some would have you believe, this is a good pistol. Trust it. Just get a holster that covers the trigger.

#7 ·
No matter what action mine have, I have holsters that completely cover the trigger. I have carried my PT111 working on the farm all day, loaded and ready, but never did I find the safety moved out of safe. Due to the fact that the holster prevented me from accidently contacting the trigger, I do not believe I would have felt unsafe even if it did disengage.

I guess what ever form of carry your using, it allows your clothing, body, or holster type to move the safety even partially, so that is the problem.

#8 ·
I like the idea of the manual safety on my Pt111 and always use it. But I don't rely on it. Lately I've been carrying a Keltec P3at which is kinda like a small Pt111, but without a safety in my pocket. Once you realize that as long as it's properly holstered, and you keep your finger off the trigger, there is no problem.

#9 ·
Single action mode, use the safety, and a good holster always. :thumb:

#11 ·
On a proper DAO I agree with no safety. On something with the hammer already cocked I don't. I carry my KT P11 with no safety & that doesn't concern me at all. I like the PT145 too much to give up on it, I carried it all day yesterday in the Southern Holster & it did not switch the safety off. I think, switching to an OWB holster may be my answer. The way this gun fits my hand & natural point of aim, like it was made specifically for me.

#13 ·
Even carrying OWB isn't a guarentee that the safety won't get bumped to the off position. As long as you are using a good holster and are aware of/check the "condition" of the gun when you remove it from the holster, it shouldn't be an issue. If it still makes you uncomfortable but you really, really like the way the gun feels, do what MoReloader suggested and find a second gen dao version of it for carry.

#14 ·
I carry my third gen PT145 all the time. It is in a holster that slips inside the belt or pants. The holster covers the trigger area so I have no doubts that the only way its going to fire is when I pull the gun from the holster and pull the trigger. I carry mine with one in the chamber as I doubt that I would have time to chamber a round in a tactical situation. I do keep the safety on. The safety I have practiced alot taking it off when I draw and I believe that it will not pose a problem in a situation since you generally do what you practice.

As far as the safety staying on that is a 50/50 situation. It seems for a couple of hours of carry it will still be on but after a full day of driving around and working on stuff it will usually be off. Eh still not not too concerned as its just a added bonus but not really necessary.

#15 ·
Try a holster with a body shield. Some call it a sweat shield. It's just a thin strip of leather (on my holster) that stays between you and the firearm. The safety rides against mine. There is no motion and my safety has never moved. :zzz:

#16 ·
I have only had the safety click off once. I bumped it while addressing an 'itch' on my side. I was in a movie theatre and it happened during a quiet time. I heard it very well, sounded like it echoed off the walls to me, but I know better. Ever since then, I satisfy itches in that area by other means, or let them go unaddressed.

I trust mine 110%! Something you might try to gain some trust in it. Unload it, cock it, so that it's ready to fire (dry), and toss it around, dropping it in various locations/positions. I did this, getting a few dirty looks from the wife, and have since found that it seems to be somewhat safe. No accidental firing pin releases.

#18 ·
I cannot picture having to rack the action, after pulling it from a holster, or what ever. I carry chambered, safety on, even here on the farm, but every holster I have keeps the trigger covered until you pull it, and the only one I do not load totally is the single action 22LR/22Mag, revolver as it does not have the transfer bar.

#19 ·
I carry my PT140 loaded and saftey on, never have I had the saftey come off and I carry it in a belly band middle of back and a belt holster.

#20 ·
That is why I still have the 2nd generation DAO PT145...boy is the trigger pull sweet. I never use the safety. Why should I? This baby is just like my revolvers. I never understood why they changed the trigger action on this simple pocket cannon.

#21 ·
I always use the safety. It's possible that the safety can get switched "on". In which case I would be in trouble if I assumed it was off. If I sweep the safety off every time I draw, it will be off whether it was on or off at the time. (confusing)

#22 ·
Not at all Jkwas my thumb is on the saftey and turned off before the gun is out it is a simple and fast easy move.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.