Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On friday went to the range, have'nt been in over a month, and well, the Pt145 had a big failure, the end of the guide rod broke in half and the double striker feature stopped working, I took it home to check and see if there was anything i could do and the spring inside the slide was bent and out of place and the guide rod could not be repaired, I took in to Cabelas, they said they would ship it back to Taurus for me to have it repaired, they looked at my recit. and since I bought it just 2 months again they where willing to trade it out for a new one, well with only a 175 rounds threw it and this kind of failure I didnt really what a new one, so Cabela's gave me a store credit. I was going to carry this as my CCW and after this I didn't feel I could trust the weapon. :mad: :mad: But on the bright side I stayed with Taurus, I bought a Rossi 38 SPL. 2" blued, 5 shot and a box of ammo ;D and still have 13.00 on my card, I also still plan to buy the 1911, I still have 45. ammo, but Don't think It will the Taurus, saw a SS Pt1911 for 700 at Cabelas and a Kimber Custom 2 for 20 dollars more, think I will go with the Kimber. My Glock will be CCW weapon and the Rossi is for the Wife at home. She likes it :D. I wanted you ladys and gents to know, I know some of you have the same idea as me and plan on carrying the PT145 as your CCW, I can't in good judgement advise that. Jason

·
Administrator
35,418 Posts
All this really tells me is that you might have gotten a single, isolated incident type of situation. Now, if you had taken the swap and the second PT145 had the same problem, then I'd raise my eyebrow at that, but you didn't even give the other PT145 a chance, you went a completely different direction.

Sorry you got a bad one - but quite frankly, I've seen way more positive posts about the PT-145 than negative - in fact, this may be the only negative post about it I've seen. That tells me alot......personally, I would have taken the chance on the second PT145 instead of a 38 special, but to each his own.

·
Registered
58 Posts
texastaurusguy said:
All this really tells me is that you might have gotten a single, isolated incident type of situation. Now, if you had taken the swap and the second PT145 had the same problem, then I'd raise my eyebrow at that, but you didn't even give the other PT145 a chance, you went a completely different direction.

Sorry you got a bad one - but quite frankly, I've seen way more positive posts about the PT-145 than negative - in fact, this may be the only negative post about it I've seen. That tells me alot......personally, I would have taken the chance on the second PT145 instead of a 38 special, but to each his own.
I have to agree on this one. Have one myself and my son-in-law has one. No problems with either of them. I have no problems useing this as my CCW.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It was not the fact that it failed, it was the amount of rounds fired and the type of failer and the amount of time I owned the weapon. 2 months, less than 200 rounds,on the thrid trip to the range, and I have read other posts on this site about guide failure or braking, better to be safe than sorry, we are talking about a firearm.

Ps. wanted to add this about taking a 2nd chance, a bad guy would not have given me a 2nd chance. Thats what i was worried about.

·
Registered
3,737 Posts
I think I would be glad that it failed so soon and Cabelas took care of everything for you. If they hadn't you could have been using it as your carry weapon and then had the malfunction when you really needed your gun. Count your blessings. I have a gun that is back at Kel-Tec right now. I was not happy to have to send it away, but I was glad that it happened when it did.

·
Administrator
35,418 Posts
Weaponizer said:
Ps. wanted to add this about taking a 2nd chance, a bad guy would not have given me a 2nd chance. Thats what i was worried about.
So, every single weapon you've ever had a failure with is faulty? I don't know about anybody else, but when I purchase a gun, I don't even consider it to be in my rotation or my primary self defense weapon for at least 800-1000 rounds. After that amount of trouble-free firing, I'm convinced I can rely on the gun. You are talking about a gun you just purchased - thats why you go shoot it, because you want to be SURE - really sure - that you can trust it. If you encounter problems, I personally would let them make it right, or send it back to Taurus to fix. Now, after that, if it's still giving you problems, then by all means I could see going in another direction.....it just doesn't seem like you gave them that benefit of the doubt, is all I'm saying. JMO.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Weaponizer, did you consider dropping down to the PT140 as a CCW?

texastaurusguy, completely off topic: may I respectfully suggest you change your quote credit to John Bernard Books (or did The Duke say that himself before the movie?)? BTW, you're welcome to download the sound byte from my collection.....

http://members.cox.net/flyswatter/posting/i-won't-be-wronged.wav

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Texastaurusguy, so you mean that if it dosen't go to 800-1000 rounds you won't carry it as a CCW, well that was the whole point, I don't want a weapon that i can't trust in my personal inventory, I know that all firearms have a chance to fail, in my 23 years of shooting, I have never had a firearm fail on me like this, and I"ve shoot everything from an anti-tank missle to the Daisy red rider. If that weapon than come apart in my hand, should I have still given it a 2nd chance?

And to answer the question about the 40, have a glock 32,357 SIG could just buy a different barrel to have the 40. and no rail for light or laser and no must of all not 45.

Will add this! I have been doing some reading on the Taurus PT1911, even being compare to the Kimber, this is from other sites, I an still thinking about the Taurus 1911 how is that for a 2nd chance for the Taurus brand.

I not trying to make anyone mad, I just could not bring myself to get another PT145, it like the best Dog in the world bits you, are you going to give it a 2nd chance?

·
Registered
153 Posts
texastaurusguy said:

Honestly, I like My PT145, but the problems with the PT145 model are well documented. As a sensible person, I must say that I do not trust this gun 100%. I am considering other options, though I will wait to make a decision until after my recoil spring issue is fixed and I can put some more rounds through it at the range. Once I put 500+ rounds through it without a FTF, I will begin to trust the weapon. As it is, my PT145 began failing after the first 150 rounds. That's not dependable enough for something that is intended to protect the lives of my family and myself.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I must have gotten one with the spring/guide rod failure, Maybe when the gen 4 comes out they will have the bugs worked out, then I'll get one. I also looked at the 40, but on rail, the 40 subcompact XD is really nice but no .45, Guest I'll have to wait until I get my PT1911. :yipee:

·
Registered
18 Posts
firemax said:
...my PT145 began failing after the first 150 rounds.
Mine made it to about double that before it quit feeding properly. After reading of many others having similar issues, the extra $ for a Glock or XD now seems negligible. I *may* consider a PT1911 after it's been out another year or so providing it doesn't rack up the same problem history.

·
Registered
796 Posts
I have had no trouble with mine other than the guide rod end splitting in half. I have a metal one on order from taurus. The only reason it did it was the guide rod went up to far on the back stroke of the slide. Would trust mine with my life! FYI Taurus is not the only company that has this issue with the plastic caps on the guide rods. If you read around you will find Glock and Springfield have the same issue as well.

·
Registered
73 Posts
That's unfortunate. I've got 1000+ rounds through mine with zero issues. It is my carry piece.

·
Registered
14 Posts
nakedbaboon said:
I have had no trouble with mine other than the guide rod end splitting in half. I have a metal one on order from taurus.
I just bought my first Taurus, a PT111. I haven't even fired it yet and ya'll have me worried about Taurus QC. Since my gun is a 3rd generation, I hope it's OK. Is that metal guide rod to speak of available for a PT111???

·
Registered
20 Posts
Shot my PT745 and PT145 in impromptu competition the other day - both guns were used by other people who didn't bring their own- we used run of the mill factor loads from wally world or the like -guns performered well and made believers of the HK, Kimber, Glock and Barretta folks. I came in third in scoring - shot several types of tarkgets including poker and 25 Yd target. Best scores came from the 10 yrd range (of course) - guns were designed for that kind shooting.
Attractive features mentioned by other users was for CCW and 45 ACP.
Although not an official competition shoot - just a friendly activity among a dozen army officers. I came away very proud of Taurus Brand - If had the money I would still get the other guns for status' sakes. Just cuase that's what we guys do - who's got bigger nuts ;-)
Needless to say - I turst my Taurus PTs as CCW - shot 400 rds with 3 other shooters using guns.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Except for the rod which didn't break, my 24/7 spring slipped out of its rod base (actually happened once before) and the tip got stuck between the slide and receiver rendering my gun useless for some time until with much physical effort and the use of some improvised tools I was able to break it free to allow me to dismantle the gun and fix the spring problem. I was so frustrated with what happened and thought there was no chance to fix it that I almost threw it away! Since then I have been firing the pistol without anymore worries. Regarding the sights, they were also improperly assembled. I kept shooting low and missing my target by at least half a foot. Until I drastically filed the front sight lower, because I can't turn the (STUCKED!) screws loose to make any adjustments, was I able to improve on my target hits.

Weaponizer said:
On friday went to the range, have'nt been in over a month, and well, the Pt145 had a big failure, the end of the guide rod broke in half and the double striker feature stopped working, I took it home to check and see if there was anything i could do and the spring inside the slide was bent and out of place and the guide rod could not be repaired, I took in to Cabelas, they said they would ship it back to Taurus for me to have it repaired, they looked at my recit. and since I bought it just 2 months again they where willing to trade it out for a new one, well with only a 175 rounds threw it and this kind of failure I didnt really what a new one, so Cabela's gave me a store credit. I was going to carry this as my CCW and after this I didn't feel I could trust the weapon. :mad: :mad: But on the bright side I stayed with Taurus, I bought a Rossi 38 SPL. 2" blued, 5 shot and a box of ammo ;D and still have 13.00 on my card, I also still plan to buy the 1911, I still have 45. ammo, but Don't think It will the Taurus, saw a SS Pt1911 for 700 at Cabelas and a Kimber Custom 2 for 20 dollars more, think I will go with the Kimber. My Glock will be CCW weapon and the Rossi is for the Wife at home. She likes it :D. I wanted you ladys and gents to know, I know some of you have the same idea as me and plan on carrying the PT145 as your CCW, I can't in good judgement advise that. Jason
Texas Solo said:
I just bought my first Taurus, a PT111. I haven't even fired it yet and ya'll have me worried about Taurus QC. Since my gun is a 3rd generation, I hope it's OK. Is that metal guide rod to speak of available for a PT111???

1 - 18 of 18 Posts