Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've mentioned it in some other threads, and while the suggestions I've received were useful, they haven't helped solve the problem. So here's some more info, and hopefully one of you will have the answer that makes it reliable! (Thanks in advance!)

Third generation PT145...

Out of the box it wouldn't fire more than 6 or 7 rounds out of ten. I sent it back to Taurus (dang, that's expensive!), and they replaced the captive spring and striker.

That helped... after that it only failed perhaps one out of 40 or 50 rounds.

Not satisfied (it wasn't 100% reliable), I took it apart, but found nothing that would account for the failures. (That was probably a big mistake!!) After reassembly, it was even worse than before sending it back to Taurus! I tried it with a dry and lubed striker and it made no difference.

So here's a photo of three fail-to-fire (top row) primer strikes, and three did-fire empties (that right most one had multiple strikes).

I checked the case lengths of these fail-to-fire rounds. (My book says maximum length should be no more than 0.895" and trim to length is 0.895") I found four rounds to be 0.8895, 0.890, 0.895, 0.892.

Then I got the idea that I might be able to measure the strength of the striker hit by shooting a pencil straight up (all double action hits). I found three commonly different heights that are indicated by the three static photos. I didn't try to count how many of each levels occurred, but all three were frequent.

The next thing I checked was to see how a bullet fit in the removed barrel. Factory load or reload all were similarly headspaced and the case bottom was not quite even with the back edge of the barrel.

When reassembling, I noticed that the recoil spring assembly sits loosely between the slide and barrel mounting points. That would seem to cause the barrel to be loose and not press the barrel back against the bolt face tightly. While slight, there is definitely some looseness.

That's about all I could think of.... how 'bout you? Anyone have anything else I can look at before I consider the hassle of sending this thing back to Taurus?

Once again, thanks in advance!

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
While that's a thought I had (comparing to another gun), I don't know of anyone else with a reliable model. (A friend has a second generation PT140 that also fails in the same fashion once every 50 rounds or so.)

While the ones in the photo are reloads, I have the same problems with factory loads.

I won't be able to do much about this for a while, but your suggestion about buying a replacement spring is a good idea.

Thanks!

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Cimarron said:
I had some problems with WalMart WWB and with a few other 230 gr. ball. I have gone to 185 gr loads with my PT145... both hollow points and LSWC. I have never had this problem with these loads (reloads). So, you might want to try changing ammo, playing with different brands/loads.
I've had problems with reloads (200 grain SWC, 230 grain truncated cone - with different primers), and three different factory loads. I have a hard time believing a failure to fire would be primer or ammo/bullet weight problem.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
QD, you seem to have mistaken my PT145 problem... ???

It's not that the bullets don't feed. It's that they don't go "bang" when I pull the trigger. Same batches of reloads and factory loads go bang in my other .45s, but not in the PT145. As my pencil photos indicate, the striker is not pushing as hard or the same way every time the trigger is pulled.

I'd be REALLY happy to have a stronger spring if it made the gun shoot every time I pulled the trigger!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts