Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey guys i need some help on taking my pt145 apart for a good cleaning what is the best way ??? thanks

·
Premium Member
785 Posts
Check this threat for the slide disassembly (with pictures)
http://www.taurusarmed.net/forums/index.php?topic=81.0

You can't disassemble the frame. The two pins that hold the metal interior are collaspseable pins... if you try to drive them out the will be ruined. So anything in the frame... frigger, etc., is factory servicible only. Obviously these parts are not user servicible.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Cimarron said:
...............You can't disassemble the frame. The two pins that hold the metal interior are collaspseable pins... if you try to drive them out the will be ruined. So anything in the frame... frigger, etc., is factory servicible only. Obviously these parts are not user servicible.
How true is this statement? Has anyone take the trigger housing out of the frame? If so, what is the procedure?

·
Registered
34 Posts
I've taken those two pins out before when my wife's PT145 slide release got bent in by her holster.

I was able to take the slide release out and bend it back straight then put it back together using the same pins.

Just be careful when you take the assembly out because there is a small ball and spring used for the safety that will come out.

·
Registered
132 Posts
so, i take out the two pins and that is it? Just pull out the housing? I tried this and it seem like the front part of the housing did not want to come out. I tried to remove the front pin and it would not move at all...........so I figured that the pin is probably not made to be removed. Is there some sort of secret to removing this housing?

·
Registered
34 Posts
I used a punch and hammer to knock the pins out. It should come out from either direction.

You have to tilt the the assembly. It doesn't come straight up. It's been a while but if I remember right I think I had to slide it either forward or back then tilt it out.

Keep your finger on the safety or you will lose the small ball and spring.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Maverick7340 said:
I used a punch and hammer to knock the pins out. It should come out from either direction.

You have to tilt the the assembly. It doesn't come straight up. It's been a while but if I remember right I think I had to slide it either forward or back then tilt it out.

Keep your finger on the safety or you will lose the small ball and spring.
Did you take out three pins or only two pins?

I think the back lifts out a little, but dont think it can be removed.

Safety remains in place on mine....................no small ball and spring jumping out..........this part seems to stay in place.

let me know if you remembered what you did!

·
Registered
34 Posts
There were only 2 pins. Then the whole assembly came out with a little shifting. My wife has a 3rd generation gun. I'm not sure if that makes a difference.

The ball and spring on the safety are mounted horizontally and is what goes in the safety detent to keep it in the on or off position. It may not pop out when you remove the assembly but if you are messing with things the safety lever may come off on it's own then you are ending up looking for the ball and spring.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Maverick7340 said:
.........The ball and spring on the safety are mounted horizontally and is what goes in the safety detent to keep it in the on or off position. It may not pop out when you remove the assembly but if you are messing with things the safety lever may come off on it's own then you are ending up looking for the ball and spring.
Any tips for putting the ball and spring back in place?

·
Registered
34 Posts
The spring goes in the hole first. Then the ball goes on top of the spring. Then put the safety lever in place and make sure you hold the lever in as you put the assembly back in. Test the safety to make sure it catches in the on and off position before you put the pins back in. This way you can make sure it works before it's all back together.

·
Registered
132 Posts
UPDATE

I went ahead and strip my Millennium to run through removal of the housing

NOTE:
  • You have to remove all THREE pins to remove the housing located in the polymer frame
  • The external/manual safety lever spring and ball bearing WILL NOT jump out on its own. You have to pry this part out and putting it back together is a little tricky........i took a diamond setting tool to hold it in and put one of the pins in the frame as a temporary holder and then slide in the external/manual safety back in place. There is no real need to remove this part as there is not much cleaning that can be done to it.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts