Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I called the local gun store today and the guy said they JUST got in FIVE brand new PT145's YESTERDAY! Woo!

Needless to say I'm out the door as soon as I wake up.

I'd like some suggestions on what you guys find best to use during the break in period, and what you "feel" is best for maintenance. Oil, lube, brushes, whatever. Thanks!

I'm SO stoked!

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I'm the proud owner of a brand new 3rd Gen Stainless PT145 Mil Pro! WOOOO!!! This thing is so freakin' nice. $388 with tax and a box of 50 Magtech 230gr FMJ.

Took it home, fiddled with it, finally got it apart (stupid directions), and now it's time for some cleanin'! My girlfriend who hates guns even likes it. Fits in her hand perfectly. It's almost the same size as my Star BM, which is good. Just a little shorter and fatter, but the height is the same.

Came with 2 mags, both of which were VERY stiff. The magazine loader is kind of weird...I'm not really a fan.

All in all, I'm really happy. It's a bit greasy from the transport, and it has some dust and whatnot stuck on the inside in various places.

The really funny thing is, when I showed up there was an older gentleman there with his wife, filling out paperwork for the exact same pistol I was there to buy. The clerk walks over to me and I pointed to them and said "I'll have what she's having"....guess you had to be there. Anyway, while we were both standing there filling out our stuff, THREE other people were lined up behind me to buy a PT145. I'm so glad I came in today instead of next week, I had no idea the 5 they got in would go so fast! When I went to pay for the goods, the guy in front of me was checking out with his wife. We had the same gun AND the same exact type of ammo.

The only difference was...when we got outside, he took his out of the box and holstered it before he got into his van. Hehe.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Congrats, I have the 145SS also, you'll love it.

Initially I would spray the whole thing out with Action Blaster or the like and get any heavy grease/oil and dust out of it. I use Tetra grease on the rails and CLP on everything else.

Personally, I like the low recoil, low flash Hornady Tap 230gr JHP for a SD load, but it's hard to get.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks, Gonna head to the store tomorrow and pick up some fresh supplies to get it ready for a Thursday shoot/clean/shoot/clean fest!

·
Premium Member
785 Posts
Either get a nylon brush... or a soft tooth brush to scrub the cracks and crannies. When lubricating, don't forget to drop a "little drop" of oil on the striker spring assembly which you can see from the bottom of the slide... don't drown it, but a little lube there will help... don't put any lube down the firing pin hole... only gum things up.

Congratulations... these are really nice guns... and easy to fall in love with. They feel good AND shoot good. I have found my gun likes the 185 gr bullets (with about any type) and it's pleasant to shoot (although at the range I wear a gloove (weight glove) because the aggressive texture can become graiting on the hand after a while)... that way... I protect my hand at range and leave the grip clean and lean when carried.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I think I might have to take one of my gloves down there next time, I never even thought about it. Do you seem to have a problem loading a fresh mag into the pistol? Seems like I really have to slap it hard to get it to stick. Might just be from the mag spring being really tight.

·
Premium Member
785 Posts
New magazines are very tight... both to load and to insert... it is easier if you rack the slide back, insert the magazine and release the slide.

Be patient it will get better, but remember you are cramming 10 45's into a very small magazine, so remember there isn't much play even with very broken in springs.

You will find the loader handy until you build up the strength in your thumb!

·
32,653 Posts
When loading a fresh magazine in the pistol it is recommended to give the mag a hard push until it clicks. And then give the bottom of the mag a whack with the palm to make sure it seats completely. This is for any semi-auto.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Any semi, but most definitely the 145. Mine has +/- 2K rounds and with the slide forward I still have to push pretty good to get "the click". I'm almost always inserting a fresh mag in a locked-back slide anyway, the only time loading to a "closed" slide is right after cleaning.

Still, mine runs like a swiss watch; best buy I've made in a while.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts