Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Need some input & see if I'm missing something here. I had a problem with my PT145 Millenium Pro. So when I saw my Dad, he took it apart, cleaned it, and when he was putting it back together couldn't the Captive Recoil Spring Assembly back in and noticed it was bent. So I contacted Taurus and sent just the assembly to them. About a month later they send me a new part back. "Captive Recoil Spring Assy Mod PT 140/14" Item #36100617.

I don't know what I'm missing or doing wrong. The thing has NO compression whatsoever, meaning it is solid. I can't get it to give enough (actually I can't get it to give at all) to get it into the slide. I've taken this gun apart myself several times in the past and cleaned it, and have never had a problem with it until now.

Am I doing this wrong? What am I missing here? I'll see my Dad next week & will take this to him to look at also. But without this assembly compressing some it just won't fit into the slot on the slide. Help.

P.S. Be nice, I'm a girl. :)

·
Registered
10,439 Posts
I have worked on a few PT145MilPro's and some of the newer ones were finicky as far as the recoil spring.

First, CLEAN it VERY WELL, and then lube it. I use a DuPont dry film Teflon lube.

Next, put the barrel in the slide, being sure that it is fully seated.

3rd - place the back of the assembly against the lug on the barrel; if properly lined up will be just a hair long, and a little fiddling it in at an angle into the space at the front of the slide, it should go in smoothly.

·
Registered
7,557 Posts
Welcome from Kentucky to the forum! We are nice to all of our members. You may take a hammer and place it ona hard surface and LIGHTLY tap it to see if it is seized slightly from some deteriorated or gummy protectant. I wouldnt hit it hard, just see if you can get it to work free. Good luck!

·
Super Moderator
37,025 Posts
Welcome to the forum from Northern Illinois from the most civilized forum on the 'net, bar none!

My PT 145 recoil spring was kind of snug also, but they will loosen up in time. Make sure that the black "button" end is fully seated in the front of the slide. If you are still having difficulty you could post a photo here and others can weigh in on it also. Taurus in Miami may be able to give some suggestions on the phone also.

Reactions: bre346

·
5,686 Posts
I can't help you at all, but wanted to make sure I welcome you to the forum!
Please be sure to visit us often, we'd love to have you join us over in the Ladies area (Bustles Bows and Bullets). I hope you can solve your issue. Keep us posted.

·
Registered
44 Posts
The thing has NO compression whatsoever, meaning it is solid. I can't get it to give enough (actually I can't get it to give at all) to get it into the slide. I've taken this gun apart myself several times in the past and cleaned it, and have never had a problem with it until now.
That is how it is designed. The problem your having is that the forward plastic button that holds the Assy captive is not going far enough into the front of the slide. This is usually caused by the forward lip of the recoil spring being off centered ever so slightly and it's causing the buttton to hang up inside the front of the slide.
Try setting the rear of the Recoil Spring Assy on the table and grasping just the large recoil spring and pushing down on it a few times, then try to install it into the slide. You may have to do this a couple of times before it works.
The front end of the recoil spring is what holds the Recoil Spring Assy in the slide and the plastic button that makes it a captive assy is hanging up on the slides inner spring lip.
Just center the spring and button and it will go in just fine.

Cheers....

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
A quick update. Gave everything to my Dad a week ago. He said with lots of oiling & a little "persuasion" from a mallet, the spring started working & he was able to put the gun together. He's going out tomorrow to shoot it, but it's all together and looks right. The assy they sent me was the one without the washer, so I'm assuming it's one they've had sitting around for a while. That's what I get for being impatient. When I called Taurus, they said the part was on back-order but they'd see what they could send me. So I'm sure they sent me one of the older parts without the washer. I'll have to see if I can't get one with a washer in the future.

I'll let you guys know if I have any further problems with it. Thanks so much for your suggestions. I read them all to my Dad before he started working on the gun. I appreciate it!!!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts