Taurus Firearm Forum banner

41 - 58 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
5,389 Posts
Yup. Since I got my Springfield XD Mod 2 in .45, I don't carry it often (would rather have the grip and trigger safety combo than a thumb safety), but I do shoot it. over 3000 rounds down range and nary a problem. And I don't drop it or try to cheat the safety.

·
Super Moderator
37,012 Posts
I have an opportunity to buy a PT140 for less than $175 should I go for it?
Welcome to the forum from Northern Illinois. It's a personal decision to own a firearm with a recall issue, but the good news is that it it ever breaks or you decide that you don't like it you can turn it back to Taurus for a PT 111 G2C in Black (9mm) which is worth about what you paid for the PT 140.

The other alternative is to watch for the LE turn in of surplus 40 S & W caliber pistols which happens fairly frequently and select a lightly used Glock / S & W / or other brand for 100.00 more.

Let us know what you decide.

·
22,837 Posts
I have an opportunity to buy a PT140 for less than $175 should I go for it?
Assuming it's in decent shape and comes with at least one magazine, I would.

Reactions: Jake3501

·
Super Moderator
37,012 Posts

·
Registered
32,150 Posts
Additional mags may be an issue also.
There ought to be plenty of those floating around from folks who didn't return their extras. I would suggest people who kept their PT140's and PT145's had extra magazines anyhow, and the purchase of either Mil-Pro for $175 is a good purchase for spare parts or a New York Reload!

Reactions: WoodyUSSLUCE

·
Registered
1,344 Posts
Eh anyone can abuse the snot out of any weapon or just loosen a few screws and Go LOOKY HERE it defective...Everyone I have not one is as loose as this junk. Makes me Question what did they do to this weapon? How or what was done to loosen it up in that manner? and why is it the only one? I am sure there would be more footage of others? So we are back to "ACTUAL".

Reactions: jwc007

·
Super Moderator
19,941 Posts
Huh? If I use my firearm in a self-defense shooting I will tell them, via my attorney, that I pulled the trigger and meant to pull the trigger. Anything less and it would be hard to say I was in fear for my life.

Can you please elaborate on what you are saying some "shyster lawyer" is going to try and get you in trouble for?
This was Gaston Glock's defense when Janet Reno (Fla Atty General then) took Glock to court following one of the first officer involved shootings after GLOCK began to be adopted by LEOs in the late '80s. It involved a Hispanic police officer in Miami. The officer was accused of shooting an arrested guy after he had surrendered. Glock was calm as a cucumber when Reno accused him off producing an unsafe gun. Reno had the guts to tell Glock that any gun that fired by just a pull of the trigger was inherently unsafe. He looked down at her through his spectacles and laid it out in simple English "young lady, that is precisely how firearms are designed to function. That is why you keep your finger off the trigger until you are ready to fire and why if you put your finger on the trigger that you are ready for the gun to fire". "Indeed, that is what the goal is."

·
Registered
4,875 Posts
I kept mine and unless I have some problem with it that I can't fix myself I have no plans at all to send it in ! It works fine and I have extra mags for it. It works and they aren't sticking me with a cheaper gun !

·
Registered
1,344 Posts
WoodyUSSLUCE::::When Mine GO? I tell ya If I can not find parts I`d say e-bay mine out for parts...But odds will be I build a memorial in my man cave of them

·
Super Moderator
40,613 Posts
Good point. It's funny but nowhere in the operation instructions manual does it say to set the thumb safety with the trigger pulled to the rear. And nowhere on the frame or slide does it say to read the instruction manual before use.

One more comment. The 3GEN PT145s do have a second strike capability so if your round doesn't fire you can just shoot again without racking the slide. I wonder if second strike capability is made possible because of some sear or disconnector engineering which allows for the followup trigger pulls. It is a DA/SA gun but if the slide doesn't move enough to move it to SA mode it will continue to fire in DA. With my Mag pulled and chambered round is removed (essentially an empty gun) I can sit here hours on end just pulling the DA trigger. Others say theirs won't do this but I wonder which generation of MilPros they have. Since there is no magazine disconnect, the only safety is the thumb safety. And I don't see a firing pin block in the slide.

Just thoughts. And, no, I haven't done any drop tests as my gun shoots as it is designed to shoot with trigger pulls. And I never activate the thump safety till a round is chambered Mag loaded and ready to holster.
My understanding is the 3rd version has two sears, a single action sear and a double action sear. There is a post on the forum somewhere instructing how to remover the single action sear to make it double action only.

I kept my PT-145, don't plan on giving it up. I still carry it on occasion, and you know what? I carry it without engaging the safety. Guess I'm a rebel.

·
Registered
1,344 Posts
Own Pt145/140/132 DSPros 99.9% of the Taurus semis I got are on that recall list WELL as I said one is going to be stupid and finger a trigger and set the safety Darwinism does what your Parents did not have the heart to do at birth Which is give the rest of us a Chance. Some call me cold blooded BUT you can ask my kids 9 year old and an 11 year old when is it time to play with a trigger and set a safety. We ain`t that stupid., Only Time finger on trigger is when sending the round we are not to play with the trigger, is there response I see raising children has changed

·
Registered
2 Posts
Thanks for the input. I bought it and so far I've found and bought 2 new mags for under $20 bucks each and a 9mm slide/barrel/springs so I can practice for less. It's running smoothly and eats what ever I feed it. it's not in "like new" condition but at my age neither am I, so we go well together :).

·
32,656 Posts
There are quite a few of us who do the believe but verify thing. There were very good reasons not to believe the claims by others as to the false claims against the Mil Pro pistols. The philosiphy is believe, but verify. Many of us verified that our Mil Pros and 24/7s that we have were fine and claims against the so called claims were false. Re-creating the drop test or other claims helped prove that many, if not all claims, are false. Doing our own drop tests showed that false claims do not pass the smell test.

·
Registered
1,344 Posts
jwc007 I have to concur I have a chain going of them few links missing but filling, and if I can get em below $200 their loss my gain

Reactions: jwc007

·
Registered
1 Posts
Probably no way of ever knowing, but I wonder if more people kept them, than sent them in. I know several class pistol owners, a few with the PT145, that never heard of the settlement. They’re happy with their pistols.
I'm new here...but actually I never knew about this recall...I have and will continue to carry my pt145pro. Never havecad a lick of trouble or problems with mine.

·
Super Moderator
37,012 Posts
I'm new here...but actually I never knew about this recall...I have and will continue to carry my pt145pro. Never havecad a lick of trouble or problems with mine.
Welcome to the group from Northern Illinois!

41 - 58 of 58 Posts