Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've owned my PT145 since January of this year. So far, I have put approx 300 rounds through it. I have tried the following ammo with mixed results...

Blazer Brass 230 Grain FMJ
Blazer Brass 230 Grain JHP
Winchester 230 Grain FMJ
Winchester 230 Grain JHP
Remington 230 Grain FMJ

"Mixed results" have been a few failures to cycle/chamber the next round. It has been worse with the hollow points-- much worse. The action with the hollow points seemed slow/sluggish and there were several failures to feed the JHP ammo (nose dive).

Anyway, I read on this forum a few suggestions of different ammos with different grains. I was at a gun show recently and decided to pick up some Hornady ammo and try it out.

Hornady 185 Grain JHP XT

I only put 20 rounds through it since that is all I bought for this initial trial (Damned expensive ammo). But, I've found that it seems to be well worth the price! I know that 20 rounds is not enough to gauge the merits of this ammo, but I can tell you that it cycled through the weapon perfectly. I note that every single round of hollow point ammo before I tried the Hornady had a sluggish feed cycle during shooting. It was so bad that I decided not to use JHP ammo in this weapon for defensive purposes. The Hornady JHP, however, cycled smoothly every time.

So, I will be purchasing more of this ammo for further testing. I wanted to let other PT145 owners know what I have experienced. If you are having cycling problems (feeding problems) with your PT145, you may want to give this ammo a try.

·
Registered
6 Posts
i believe its the 185 grain in general. 1st few range trips i only took 230 fmj (wwb). Failure every other mag up to about 200 through the gun. the last trip i decided to add 100 rounds of 185 grains (50 remington, 50 lawman) in addition to the 100 rnds of 230 fmj (wwb). well this gun is pretty much broken in & i still had 2-mayb-3 ftf/nose dive out of the 100 230 grain fmj. but the 185 was flawless of both brand (i especially like remingtion). to be noted, i alternated the mags in & out; one mag 230, one mag 185, etc....needless to say i left with 20 185 remington fmj for defense untl i get some jhp.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Trouble I have is most 185gr bullets are a little high on the FPS (pressure). Since the manual says in writing use 835 FPS bullets and the Hornady are Muzzle Velocity: 950 fps I tend to stay away from higher FPS rounds. Just my 2 cents.

Yah I am a bit conservative. When I go to KFC I only order right wings too. lol

1 - 3 of 3 Posts