Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all I just got activated to the forum and have a question. I'm in the market for a .45 to be used as a house
gun so full size is ok. The Taurus pistols are hard to not notice,even the compacts are 10+1 in a great package.
These pistols also receive their share of bashing and I can't tell if it's accurate or not,so which of these two guns should I be looking at,the PT145 or 24/7 ?
My only experience with any Taurus product is my Millennium Pro (DAO) PT111, it's my carry gun and is 100% re-
liable and accurate. It was purchased about a year or so ago and well..it's been perfect ! In fact the Taurus is the one I kept over another pistol (also 9mm) because the trigger is much better and I can hit what I shoot at.
From what I've read here so far you folks are pleased with your Taurus guns. As for me I couldn't be more pleased with my MilPro.. I'm glad to see it's more action here too.
John

·
32,531 Posts
Welcome to the forum. Both models have excellent track records despite what the internet musings are at this time. Info on the internet can be chancy, wrong, and misleading. Posters need to be able to verify claims by others. If not then it is not believeable. Writers need to clarify with hard core facts. With many of the Taurus negative claimants , their claims are absurd. Or have just enough truth, but then throw things in that are easily disproven. If your PT111 has given good sevice why believe negative claims? It also depends on why you are buying one of these models and what its use is for. Different sizes, different missions, different niches that they fill. Both can fill the same jobs. Is this a house gun or one for carry? Do either fit you? How well do you handle recoil? There are those who are better off with a 9mm. rather than a .45ACP caliber pistol. May not matter. Have both 9mm. and a .45ACP pistol. Have to shoot the 9mm. more do to physical problems creeping in with time. Can you reach the trigger well with the first joint and pad of your trigger finger?. This includes all the way through the trigger pull.If the finger slips or the second joint winds up on the trigger at the end of release, it is to short a reach. The daughter did have a problem with this and only the CZ's fit her well. If for carry, in general, the PT145 should be easier to conceal. The 24/7 is actually in the full size combat pistol configuration, while the PT145 is more compact for carry in some demensions. I'll let the actual owners come on in here. I have a PT111 Mil/pro myself and Rugers instead of the 24/7. This happened in part because the 24/7 came out after I bought the Rugers. You did not mention what caliber you were considering.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Hmm. If I were in your shoes, I think I'd be leaning more toward a 24/7. I've heard all the bashing and probs. with the other option but haven't really heard of any probs. with the 24/7. Plus, there may be an option for a 24/7 in a longslide 5" barrel version. And , I think the OSS 24/7 may be coming out some time soon. Just my 2 cents.

·
Administrator
17,818 Posts
My vote is for the PT24/7 in either 9mm or .45 ACP, or both!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yes, for the house and I wanted a .45ACP. While my MilPro is mostly for ccw,and by the way, it's excellent for that
,the 9mm cartridge will penetrate like crazy. The 45 on the other hand will ,I beleive,do more damage round for round and the PT145 holds 10+1 , that's a lot of firepower.
On the other hand the 24/7 even thou larger will be fine for the house,maybe better because I have large hands.
I'm not sure how many rounds it holds but I know it's more than the standard 8 or 7+1.
Yeah I looked at the Ruger P's too, can't warm up to them and I've owned a few (CZ's too). Looking at the Taurus line up they don't seem afraid to arm honest folk with what we need or want. That say's a bunch to me.
Can you say innovation ? And now there's new stuff on the way..OSS 24/7 ? And I still haven't seen a magazine disconnect ! Thanks all.

John

·
Registered
790 Posts
Either is a good choice, mostly a matter of personal preference. I would also consider that the PT145 would make a great optional carry gun in case your primary had to go off to the factory for servicing, which could amount to several weeks without your carry gun.

·
32,531 Posts
Larger pistols are easier to shoot and hit consistently with. Small advantage over the smaller brethren. This has been documented by the police and firearms trainers all over the U.S.A. and globe. Mas Ayoob, Clint Smith, Al Pickles, and Chuck Taylor among others, have clarified their reasons why this is so. The 24/7 holds 12 .45ACP rounds of your choice. Can be had with 10 round magazines for those under such restrictions by their state or local municipality.You even said it yourself that you have larger hands. So there is one more reason to go with the 24/7. Longer site picture, more velocity,(after all, these are slow moving .45ACPs be talked about here compared to 9 mm.s.) , better grip, less felt recoil or muzzle jump do to a little more mass and the way the pistol was designed. Don't see a problem with choice here. Looks like you already are leaning towards the 24/7. One last thing. The nine millimeter will not exit a body anymore than the .45ACP will if talking about JHPs here. Not under most circumstances. Where ball or FMJ are considered, probability goes up from there. Over penatration of a target and the liability for other's lives are real world considerations that need to be taken very seriously. And under no circumstances should one rely on solid bullets for self defense under most conditions. Federal EFMJs and Corbon Powerball, as well as others, make loads that are the exception to this. These are specialized rounds that do an excellent job to replace ball or FMJ entirely for defense. Since both the .45ACP and 9 millimeter have excellent track records, the choice is up to you what to use. Oh yes. If anyone should come across rounds that say BAT or GECO, stay away form them for defense. These have a plastic nose cap that peels off after the bullet leaves the barrel. Those nose caps have enough energy on their own to cause grave harm or death if they hit a person. There are a number of documented cases where grave harm or death resulted in their use, where multiple people were present, or a hostage situation turned worse when the police killed the hostage by accident do to the nose caps. The perp died as well. Little comfort to the departed and the family of the victim.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts