Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just bought pt140 pro. Previous ownee put 100 rounds thru it and decided it was too small for him. Did not clean it. I bought it and spent about 3 hours doing a field strip cleaning. Took it out today and put about 50 rounds thru it. First issue was the slide would lock back like the mag was empty, just pushed down the release andkept shooting. Happened about 5 to 10 times. Other issue. After firing the slide would come back and eject, slide forward and feed bit would not go all the way forward. About 3/8" from full forward. Took home, cleaned and lubed it. Racked the slide about 100 times always went full forward. Took the slide off and put in a loaded mag and pushed rounds out with my finger. No rounds touched the slide lock tab until mag was empty and the mag pushed the tab up. Any ideas?

·
Registered
6,961 Posts
Welcome from Texas! Sounds like limp wristing to me. Compact pistols like the MilPro's PT111, PT140 and PT145 need a firm grip or the slide can't complete the cycle and therefore will give you the feeding problems.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Welcome from Texas! Sounds like limp wristing to me. Compact pistols like the MilPro's PT111, PT140 and PT145 need a firm grip or the slide can't complete the cycle and therefore will give you the feeding problems.
ok, read the article on the link and there is one part the sounds like the issue with my slide not going completly forward, but do you think that will have anything to do with the slide lock going up with rounds in the mag. I will grip tighter next time i go out.

Any other ideas please chime in

·
Registered
6,961 Posts
but do you think that will have anything to do with the slide lock going up with rounds in the mag. I will grip tighter next time i go out.

Any other ideas please chime in
Yep, that sounds like from limp wristing (especially when we shoot a compact pistol the 1st few times).

·
Registered
42 Posts
You need 2-300 rounds through the gun before you start fixing things.....it does no good to try n fix a gun that is not broken in. Unless its a catastrophic failure resulting in the gun not working completely. The on and off problems your are having may be fixed with practice (GUN AND OWNER). unless the problem is 100% of the time. And clean well and lube each use.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
You need 2-300 rounds through the gun before you start fixing things.....it does no good to try n fix a gun that is not broken in. Unless its a catastrophic failure resulting in the gun not working completely. The on and off problems your are having may be fixed with practice (GUN AND OWNER). unless the problem is 100% of the time. And clean well and lube each use.
Another good point, did not think about break in. Will have to do a bunch more shooting and see if it continues. Thank you guys

·
Registered
6,961 Posts
This is a compact pistol so it's lighter than the full size pistols. Just keep a firm grip when shooting the gun and it'll be all right.

After 200 or 300 rds, one should be able to have a firmer and better grip.

·
Registered
30 Posts
To be homest as i saw the comment i thought limp wristing was a unusual comment.. Then i clicked it and saw it was actually a real deal..
I learn something new every day.. Ok , back to my Taurus study group!

·
Registered
10 Posts
I have an issues with my pt140 mil pro after I field dressed it I believe I didn't align the pin up right and now I can't lock the slide in and remove the pin any help would be great also it will not cycle rounds cause the barrel is to far back I think

·
Registered
8 Posts
I have an issues with my pt140 mil pro after I field dressed it I believe I didn't align the pin up right and now I can't lock the slide in and remove the pin any help would be great also it will not cycle rounds cause the barrel is to far back I think
Drop the mag out and pull the slide fully back hand lock it to the rear. Had this happen last night when showing my wife how to take apart n put back together my pt745

SGT. Carter

·
Registered
8,801 Posts
Not clear - are you saying the slide will not go far enough back to allow slide lock to engage?? Can you turn the barrel lock pin at all??

·
Registered
10 Posts
Not clear - are you saying the slide will not go far enough back to allow slide lock to engage?? Can you turn the barrel lock pin at all??
I can not turn the pin at all like its bound up on something and I also can't lock the slide but I can tell the barrel is farther back than normal

·
Registered
8,801 Posts
Thinking you may need a third hand. Rack and hold the slide back as far as possible and have someone else grab the pin with a pair of pliers to see if they can twist and pull at same time to get it out. Worse case you end up sending back to Taurus anyway or if you get pin out and it's damaged, order another new one.

·
Registered
8,801 Posts
:thumb:

Were you able to detemine what you did to jam it up??

When reassemblying hold pistol with barrel pointed down at 45 degree (or greater) with slid locked back. The barrel should gravity to correct position for pin insertion. Barrel muzzle should be at end of grip frame.

·
Registered
10 Posts
:thumb:

Were you able to detemine what you did to jam it up??

When reassemblying hold pistol with barrel pointed down at 45 degree (or greater) with slid locked back. The barrel should gravity to correct position for pin insertion. Barrel muzzle should be at end of grip frame.
Yeah my position was not right on the recoil spring it was not all the way in its seat and the barrel was not all the way out but with a little bit of time and persuasion I was able to pull the pin out with pliers and the slide being pushed all the way back I will test fire It Saturday and again thanks for the advise

·
Registered
19 Posts
My pt111 9mm is doing the same thing. I got the same limp-wristing comments, so I tested it out. I actually own 2 of the same guns and I only have the failure to close problem with one of them. It cannot be my grip or it would be happening with both of them. I'm sending in the bad gun tomorrow.

Just bought pt140 pro. Previous ownee put 100 rounds thru it and decided it was too small for him. Did not clean it. I bought it and spent about 3 hours doing a field strip cleaning. Took it out today and put about 50 rounds thru it. First issue was the slide would lock back like the mag was empty, just pushed down the release andkept shooting. Happened about 5 to 10 times. Other issue. After firing the slide would come back and eject, slide forward and feed bit would not go all the way forward. About 3/8" from full forward. Took home, cleaned and lubed it. Racked the slide about 100 times always went full forward. Took the slide off and put in a loaded mag and pushed rounds out with my finger. No rounds touched the slide lock tab until mag was empty and the mag pushed the tab up. Any ideas?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Well put 50 more rounds thru it today, total around 200. Focused on tightening my grip. Did not have the issue of not going all the way forward. But twice. But twice the slide locked back, i just pulled back and release the slide and kept shooting. So i feal like my grip helped and break in makes sense. But is there anything else that i could look for when i clean it tonight. Thanks guys just want to know ive covered all bases

1 - 20 of 21 Posts