Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is more on the shooting low saga that most talk about, but I have critiqued my grip/trigger control as well as shot off a bench rest and the gun still seems to have issues. I have tried both the original sights as well as the Williams Fire Sites. Looking further at the gun, I have noticed something odd witht he centering of the barrel in the slide opening (on the business end of the gun). My barrel looks to be touching the opening at the very bottom (closest to the spring rod opening) and has a gap betwen the barrel and the top portion of the opening. Is anyone elses like this or is there some kind of problem with this thing?

·
Premium Member
15,931 Posts
Yep, I went thru the same thoughts when I was trying to figure out my PT111. I am not sure where the thread is, but there was actually one report with pictures of a gun with the barrel actually not straight on the breech. You could see it was off to one side.

Take your barrel out of the gun, put it on a surface just like it was in the gun, and look down the top of the barrel and see if it is off.

I know mine was fine, and it really was my grip, and the short sight distance of the barrel. What actually helped me, was the use of the Handall Jr grip, that put my hand higher on the gun, and with the finger ridge kept it there.

·
Registered
796 Posts
One reason for shooting low may be people not using the sights correctly. With the Heinie sights on these you put the front sight to where it is covering the target versus in the middle with standard sights. May or may not be your issue. Just a thought.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Robby said:
Like I said before, it probably does not apply to your gun, but it is something to check. Look at this thread, and compare your barrel. http://www.taurusarmed.net/forums/index.php?topic=4291.0
If yours is fine, then you shoot a PT just like the rest of us.
Thanks for the link and not entirely jumping to conclusions like everyone else (even though they were actually correct). I never even thought about testing the trueness of the barrel like that, but mine seems to be fine. I really think my issue could be caused my the late break of the tigger and my wrist trying to help my finger just because it breaks so later than most guns I have shot. Time for a Houge Handall (I wonder which one will fit, and if its available in OD to match my more OD than Tan frame. Also, does anyone know if the slack in the Handall's can be taken up by delicately using a heat gun on the thing?

jt

·
Premium Member
15,931 Posts
Not sure about color, you would have to check on that. But the Handall Jr. with one finger ridge fits the PT line. No cutting or adjusting needed on mine. But if you need to trim it, I suggest using a section of the Plastic packaging slid in between the grip and the Handall to protect the grip while you adjust it.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
jtodaro said:
Houge Handall in OD.
Fits but has slack on my PT140 Millenium Pro.

jtodaro said:
Also, does anyone know if the slack in the Handall's can be taken up by delicately using a heat gun on the thing?
Well, dont try to take up the slack by delicately using a heat gun. I think this thing might melt using a hair dryer even, but its pretty much putty now.

The Handall JR. does not come in OD, and after e-mailing Houge, I received a reply stating that there was no market for it, so the $2500 cost of cleanup/downtime on the Black Handall Jr machine (evidently they use the same machine to make both Black and OD for the normal Handall) could not be adsorbed.

The black just looks so odd on my OD/Tan frame.

My search continues I guess...

jt

·
Registered
18 Posts
My PT 140 was shooting about 6 inches low and right at 15 yards when I got it. The barrel was visably offest looking down the crown and there was an uneven gap at the chamber mating surfaces. Taurus took the weapon back and replaced the barrel free of charge. It now shoots straight. They did have it for a couple of months while they worked on it.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts