Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought this pistol a couple weeks ago and the first time I shot it in my back yard the mag kept dropping, took it to the range last week and after every couple of rounds the mag would drop. At first I thought I was accidently hitting the release while shooting, so I changed my grip and it was still happening. I was reading on here and found a tip to put duct tape on left side of mag, well I did that and the magazines fit nice and tight, drop easily and I actually got to shoot my pistol today without cussing every other shot.

·
Registered
6,961 Posts
Welcome to the forum. I suggest you contact Taurus CS on the mag dropping problem. I'm jealous of the guys who could shoot in their back yards. :D

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
lol yeah it is nice, but I still go to the range to shoot normally. I called them and they are sending me a new mag release and I'll put it in when I get it. At first I was really disappointed, I like taurus and have owned a few, after today I'm good with them again lol

·
Registered
12,331 Posts
Every manufacturer has their problems. Did you see the post from the Ruger owner who sent his pistol in for repair? They replaced most of the pistol, including the barrel. Problem was the barrel they replaced it with didn't have any rifling in it! Never heard of that one with Taurus. As far as the mag drop issue - I had some problems with my PT145 dropping mags. Wasn't anything wrong with the pistol, but I like to take a grip where my firing thumb is curved down which put my thumb way too close to the release. I even had it release on it's own once from making contact with the holster. I turned the release around and now use my firing hand index finger to drop the mags and found that there's another benefit to that method - now when I take my grip I can put my thumb right on the back of the release, so instead of activating the release I'm actually applying pressure in the other direction. JAT

And oh yeah - welcome to the forum!

·
Registered
696 Posts
Welcome Doclark!

I had the same issue with my PT-140. Same resolution as well. Called CS and they sent me a new mag release. Installed it and now have a very reliable pistol. While you are waiting on the new part to arrive, you could switch it over to left hand and continue using it.

Liked mine so much, I bought a second one!

Happy Shooting!

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I thought about switching it to the left side, I have the same grip that's why I thought my thumb was hitting it on recoil, but I made sure I held my thumb away from the release and today just shot as I normally would and no drops. It shoots good, small and a big punch to it. Next will be a Tarus 357 revolver. Thanks everyone for welcoming me

·
Registered
204 Posts
Thanks for the info I had that problem today when I took pt140 pro out to the range. I will be calling cs.

·
Registered
19 Posts
hi, i just got the millpro 140 on the 17th. first time to range today and i was having the same problem with mag dropping. came to look for an nswer and found it here. thanks guys. but other then that 150 rounds of 3 different types of ammo and went bang 148 times and the 2 that didnt go the first click went on the second chance. love he new gun. going to call CS on monday

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It takes about 2 minutes to change it you can go on YouTube and watch how to change it if you don't know how. Makes all the difference in the world my 140 is now one of my carry guns have had no issues at all after about 500 rounds. I was going to buy the 145 but ammo prices are a bit much for 45

Reactions: mada5

·
Registered
2,024 Posts
Every manufacturer has their problems. Did you see the post from the Ruger owner who sent his pistol in for repair? They replaced most of the pistol, including the barrel. Problem was the barrel they replaced it with didn't have any rifling in it! Never heard of that one with Taurus. As far as the mag drop issue - I had some problems with my PT145 dropping mags. Wasn't anything wrong with the pistol, but I like to take a grip where my firing thumb is curved down which put my thumb way too close to the release. I even had it release on it's own once from making contact with the holster. I turned the release around and now use my firing hand index finger to drop the mags and found that there's another benefit to that method - now when I take my grip I can put my thumb right on the back of the release, so instead of activating the release I'm actually applying pressure in the other direction. JAT

Huh?, and what model ruger would that be? the 'petard'? just bashin folks like they do!!!!....lol;)

·
Registered
3,902 Posts
Used your suggestion on my new 745. The frame seems too wide. By putting the tape on the back of the mag it snugs it up and works great. This seems a very common and consistent problem Taurus needs to address.

·
Registered
355 Posts
I Have the opposite issue with my new PT111. Mags only drop a couple of inches when released and then they stick in the mag well. I have to pull the mags out with my fingers..

·
Registered
3,976 Posts

My guess is although they test fire the handgun for functioning, they don't test it for accuracy. Do you have a link to this post?

·
Registered
599 Posts
Hm, hope these recent issues aren't a new trend because it would mean Taurus' quality has taken a hit again... and I've been promoting the G2 series to people. My PT140 G2 is really pretty darn flawless, and I love it. Never had any issue with it since I got it last year. One of the lucky ones perhaps, or maybe the quality will pick back up again once they figure out what to do after this court room debacle.

Now, the person who mentioned the Ruger barrel without rifling- WOW! That's pretty rare! If it were me I'd have wanted to keep the barrel and display it on my shelf in all of it's fabulous weird glory, but that's just me! I like defects.

·
Registered
9,171 Posts
I know sometimes there's a little preservative caked into the magazine release which can make it stick one way or the other at times. Before dealing with Taurus, i would remove the magazine release and check to make sure it's not chipped or cracked. If it looks good, soak it in whatever cleaning solvent you normally use and see if anything changes after re-installing.

Sent from my BLU STUDIO 7.0 LTE using Tapatalk

1 - 17 of 17 Posts