Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
696 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know this has been discussed on here in another thread, but I have a question. I am thinking about trimming the front of my plastic mag bottom to allow my pinkie to put rearward pressure on the mag instead of downward. Anyone tried this? Is there any other fix other than moving my pinkie to the bottom of the mag? I just got back from the range for the first time with this pistol and I love the way it shoots, but that mag popping out is going to be a problem! Thanks for your advice!

·
Registered
59 Posts
I'm sorry...I'm not following you. I dont see where you're coming from. my mag button and my pinkie are not anywhere near each other.

I am right handed. I have a pro pt140. my mag button is on the left side of the grip, much closer to my thumb than my pinkie, and my pinkie on my shooting hand (right) already puts rear pressure on the mag. not even close to putting down pressure on it.
Honestly, with my 3rd Gen mill pro 140, I don't see this happening. Am I just that new, or do others concour?
I have shot my friends 140 1st gen, where my pinkie did not come in contact with the mag in a comfortable place, therefore it sat on the bottom of the mag creating more of an up pressure, where I could possibly see what you are saying. But then again, my thumb never came close to the mag release.

but on my 3rd gen, the grip and mag are long enough so that my entire hand fits the grip and the mag. Nothing "hanging" below the mag and no fingers close to the mag release.

and I have big hands. I'm sorry, I'm just having a hard time with "allowing my pinkie to put rearward pressure on the mag instead of downward." It should always be rearward. Sorry, I think I might be lost....

·
Registered
696 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I am not pushing the mag release button. As you said, it is near my thumb. What I am doing is resting my pinkie on the plastic plate on the bottom of the mag. It protrudes forward of the grip. I am proposing trimming this forward area from the plastic plate on the bottom of the grip, making the front of the mag even with, or even a little angled away from, the front of the grip. This should allow my pinkie to wrap around under the mag without putting and downward pressure on it. I am not sure, but I feel this pressure is overcoming the catch's ability to maintain its lock on the mag during recoil.

·
Moderator Emeritus, with us always.
15,931 Posts
Sir, I hate to disagree because I do not own that model. But, there have been known incidents where the PT145, and others PT's have dropped mag, due to problems with the catch on the mag release. I think I would go that route first.

·
Registered
59 Posts
AH! I follow ya Dennis - Apologies. I'd have to agree with Robby. some known issues with Mag drops. I'd talk to Taurus before I'd start hacking a mag up, unless you don't mind a hacked up mag. I know a new taurus mag is upwards of $40...maybe you could find a spare used one somewhere and try trimming it and see what that does before you trim up a new one. Just a thought. FWIW 200 - 300 rounds through mine and no mag drop.

·
Registered
10 Posts
My friend also had a mag release problem with his pt 111, sent it in for repair of mag release button and has had no issues since

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.