Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a PT140 years ago. Ever since I've had it the gun jams like crazy. I can't even get a single mag through it before a round gets stuck on the ramp. I've sent it back to Taurus three times and each time the problem stays the same (they claim they fixed it...) I've tried different ammo, cleaning and oiling, polishing the ramp to no avail. I put the gun away now for about four years and this forum has inspired me to get it back out and resolve this issue. I don't want to sell it and stick someone else with the problem - I would prefer to make it work.

I won't send it back to Taurus again - they have been completely ineffectual. I have even insisted on getting a replacement weapon from them and they refuse.

Is this a common problem? Any suggestions? I've been all over this forum and have a few ideas but need your help. If you know a good smith in Austin TX - let me know.

Thanks!

·
Registered
356 Posts
Generally the magazines are a key player in automatics that don't feed properly (feed ramps get a lot of attention but seldom are the problem). What is their condition and who made them? Do you see more problems with a particular magazine?

More generally, what model of PT140 are you shooting - it's an older model apparently - but *which* model might make a difference.

Other data that would be useful - type and brand of ammo being used - experience of the shooter (no attack on you personally, but some people have never been properly trained to shoot semi-automatics) - amount and methods of lubricating the handgun.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
kansas_plainsman said:
Generally the magazines are a key player in automatics that don't feed properly (feed ramps get a lot of attention but seldom are the problem). What is their condition and who made them? Do you see more problems with a particular magazine?

More generally, what model of PT140 are you shooting - it's an older model apparently - but *which* model might make a difference.

Other data that would be useful - type and brand of ammo being used - experience of the shooter (no attack on you personally, but some people have never been properly trained to shoot semi-automatics) - amount and methods of lubricating the handgun.
I need to run out the door but I will go get the gun and fill in the blanks. I'm a aware of the wrist snapping issue and I don't think that's the issue - I've had a number of other shooters test it and it pretty much does the same thing with everyone. Even my buddy who is a trainer for the police department. Mags are stock from Taurus.

More to come.

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
I would pretty much bet it is your mags too. I've spent years fixing forearms problems and the mags are usually the last thing checked and should be one of the first things looked at.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
kansas_plainsman said:

My weapon is a PT 140 "Millennium" it is not a "Pro" model. Model 140SS- manufactured in 2000. Now discontinued. When I bought it there was no "Pro". Serial number starts with "STB". Ammo is all kinds - from self loaded (they really don't work!) to Winchester target loads to higher end hollow points. Everything jams.

What specifically should I be looking for on the mag? When I sent back to Taurus I included the mag but that doesn't mean they used it.

·
Registered
356 Posts
I haven't seen a pattern in magazine failures - I've heard from a few brave (and intrepid) fellows who tweaked the feed lips by millimeters to see what would happen. Others have (carefully) stretched the springs a little at a time. I do remember another guy who discovered that the magazine spring was in backwards (or upside down - I don't recall) One fellow used a polishing compound on the follower and the edges of the feed lips.

Clearly the difference between a 'good' mag and a 'problem' mag is a matter of tiny differences in the angles of the feed lips or small changes in the magazine spring.

From a scientific standpoint, all of my observations are nearly worthless - anecdotal in fact. If you decide to pursue this research, keep good records and publish them, please. Heck - if you work out a reliable means to solve this problem, you'll be able to provide a profitable service to others.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
kansas_plainsman said:
I haven't seen a pattern in magazine failures - I've heard from a few brave (and intrepid) fellows who tweaked the feed lips my millimeters to see what would happen. Others have (carefully) stretched the springs a little at a time. I do remember another guy who discovered that the magazine spring was in backwards (or upside down - I don't recall) One fellow used a polishing compound on the follower and the edges of the feed lips.

Clearly the difference between a 'good' mag and a 'problem' mag is a matter of tiny differences in the angles of the feed lips or small changes in the magazine spring.

From a scientific standpoint, all of my observations are nearly worthless - anecdotal in fact. If you decide to pursue this research, keep good records and publish them, please. Heck - if you work out a reliable means to solve this problem, you'll be able to provide a profitable service to others.
My research is telling me that my experience is not uncommon. Taurus doesn't want to own up to the problem that these Millenniums are a poor design. They keep sending it back to me saying there is no problem. Doing some searching on the Internet tells me there is a huge problem. I'm thinking of selling the gun this weekend at a local gun show. I won't be buying any more Taurus automatics.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Thrakkorzog said:
My research is telling me that my experience is not uncommon. Taurus doesn't want to own up to the problem that these Millenniums are a poor design. They keep sending it back to me saying there is no problem. Doing some searching on the Internet tells me there is a huge problem. I'm thinking of selling the gun this weekend at a local gun show. I won't be buying any more Taurus automatics.
I'm beginning to agree with your assessment Thrakkorzog. See my post on how my PT 145 Mil Pro slide broke.

http://www.taurusarmed.net/forums/index.php?topic=2833.msg20813#msg20813

·
Registered
6,761 Posts
Are you still using the original factory magazines or have your purchased additional mags and tried them? Even OEM mags can be bad from the factory. I know as I got (pre-internet) some 10mm 1911 Colt mags that crapped out withing a couple of weeks. I think I only had them out shooting once or twice before they died.

Also, if you were to sell it, with all the issues disclosed, I suspect someone would be willing to buy it. Even if its just to try and fix it. Listing it on our Firearms Classifieds might be enough. Thinking about a price or what you'd be interested in for trade couldn't hurt.

Steelheart

1 - 12 of 12 Posts