Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello & a very good afternoon to you all from a Welshman residing in South Africa

Hope you can help me with this ...

I have noticed that my Taurus PT140 G2 has developed a problem where the ejector seems to be catching on the inside of the slide.
At least i think its the ejector. (See attached photo)

I picked up this firearm 5 months ago & it has operated flawlessly with 350 rounds so far.
This deep mark was only noticed when I stripped the gun for cleaning, after firing 50 rounds at the range last Saturday.

Over here in South Africa, we are unable to send anything back to Taurus & so have to try & make a plan ourselves to fix any problems.
I showed the problem to a gunsmith where i purchased the gun, but he didn't seem to think it was anything to worry about & should just see if it gets any worse.

Rather than wait to see if it gets worse, can anyone confirm what the problem might be & best course of action to prevent any further damage.
I'd also like to try & remove that scratch if you advise best method ?

Slide PT140 G2.jpg

·
Premium Member
3,634 Posts
Sorry, I'm not a gun guy, so no real help here. However, it looks like normal slide wear to me. If it is the extractor, I would expect some corresponding wear on the extractor. Maybe a few more pictures would help those who come along with real knowledge.

·
Registered
36,024 Posts
ahh---umm----ahh- the OP said EJECTOR--not Extractor--anywho I would follow the gunsmiths advice or take a close look at the ejector and see if any wear on the top section of it, if so and it really bothers you take a file and gently remove a small portion of the top of the Ejector.
I do not own nor am i that familiar with a PT140 by the way but would think this should apply.

Reactions: DeltaBravoKS

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Many thanks gents, I will take a closer look at the ejector this weekend as you have suggested.

·
Registered
579 Posts
Has it came loose and moved up?
If not it may need to be stoned down to where it does not contact the slide.
What does the top of the ejector look like?
Maybe a e-mail to Taurus to see what they say to do since you can not send back.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hello to you all again from a sunny South Africa

I've had a closer look at the ejector, and provided some better photos of the problem below.
Ejector feels sharp on top, with what looks like some wear. (you be the judge)
Scratch is exactly in line where the travel of slide aligns with ejector, and less notable on section of slide that moves past ejector on disassembly.
Ejector is secure & i don't see how it could have moved ?
What do you think ? stone down the top of ejector a bit ?
If that works, any ideas of getting that scratch out.

3.jpg

Attachments

·
Registered
579 Posts
As long as it has not moved up and is tight I would stone the ejector and not worry about the slide.
Go slow and easy and test often.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
After much though about how to approach this, I decided to leave the ejector alone.

I made sure everything was coated in oil & fired another 100 rounds on the weekend after which the scratch on the slide did not seem to have worsened.

After cleaning, I took a small piece of (very fine) abrasive pad material & ran it over the scratch for a few minutes using a match to press it into the effected area only & eventually rubbing out most of the scratch. Great care was taken not to leave any fine bits of metal residue anywhere, most of which stayed stuck in the abrasive pad / cloth. Everything was then well coated in oil again..

Looks a lot better now as per new photo below.
Hoping this will be the end of it & will see how we go after next trip to the range.

·
Super Moderator
35,535 Posts
I'm not much of a gunsmith, but feel that a small scratch in that area is inconsequential. It's never going to wear through, it's stainless so corrosion is less of a concern and it apparently doesn't impact the function of the gun. The only person who can see it is you. I would smooth any sharp spot on the top of the ejector but would go carefully, using oil coated emery paper.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts