Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had my PT740 in for repairs because of a reloading accident that basically required replacement of the barrel. Sixteen weeks down the road with no realistic return date available from Taurus I inquired to the forum members regarding the interchangeability of these two guns barrels. One member responded saying that he had a PT111 and PT709 and that their barrels interchanged so I decided to buy a PT140 barrel and test their swappability. They won't as the PT140 barrel is belled and larger in diameter at the muzzle end and completely different at the chamber end where the barrel actuating machining is located. I'm going to return or sell the PT140 barrel.

·
Supporting SuperModerator
14,871 Posts
Sorry to hear about your problem. Glad no one was hurt with the reloading problem. (thread?)

Thanks for the information on the barrel swap. :thumb:

·
Registered
8,790 Posts
I had my PT740 in for repairs because of a reloading accident that basically required replacement of the barrel. Sixteen weeks down the road with no realistic return date available from Taurus I inquired to the forum members regarding the interchangeability of these two guns barrels. One member responded saying that he had a PT111 and PT709 and that their barrels interchanged so I decided to buy a PT140 barrel and test their swappability. They won't as the PT140 barrel is belled and larger in diameter at the muzzle end and completely different at the chamber end where the barrel actuating machining is located. I'm going to return or sell the PT140 barrel.
Was it a PT140 MIL G2 or Mil Pro barrel? If it's a PT140 Mil Pro barrel and you can't return it, I may (if reasonable as I don't "need" but own two PT140 MP's and no intention to get rid of either). I also hope I wasn't the one that said they were interchangeable. LOL

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Wino, you're in the clear. Chicagotrauma provided the PT111/PT709 barrel interchange information. But that's ok Chicago, I'll offer the PT140 barrel to Wino for $25.00 if he can find out if it works with his gun. I bought it from Numrich as a PT140 barrel under their p/n 1160120. William, the whole original story detailing the fiasco was on 1/25 and is in the Reloading forum.

·
Registered
8,790 Posts
Wino, you're in the clear. Chicagotrauma provided the PT111/PT709 barrel interchange information. But that's ok Chicago, I'll offer the PT140 barrel to Wino for $25.00 if he can find out if it works with his gun. I bought it from Numrich as a PT140 barrel under their p/n 1160120. William, the whole original story detailing the fiasco was on 1/25 and is in the Reloading forum.
Just went to Numrich to check it out and appears its for the early PT140 and will not fit the Mil Pro ($121.55 Numrich P/N 1487850).

As an aside - the PT140 early & Mil Pro breaks down with the locking pin and the Slims have the Glock type release, so no way would the barrels interchange as the entire chamber end is machined different. POSSIBLY a PT140G2 which breaks down same as Slims MIGHT work. Would be interesting to know - I'd check, but have no G2.

Reactions: john_bud

·
Registered
3,122 Posts
Is the design, or function, of either of these barrels
superior to the other? Were two different barrel
designs really required?

Taurus just can't seem to grasp this parts
interchangeability issue. This is what causes
all the posts about parts being out of stock.
Too much to keep in stock.

Not knocking Taurus. I like the 24/7 I have.
Interchangeability though is one of the main reasons
Glock rules the auto market.

All the Best,
D. White

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
dwhite,I've followed this parts availability issue for our guns on other posts in the forum. Taurus and other manufacturers create a captive audience with their regulation of parts interchangeability and availability. Their product is good but they need to look at replacement parts and interchangeable parts as another revenue stream. I wonder what their sales figures are for grips and other gun parts items from the Taurus website.

·
Registered
3,122 Posts
dwhite,I've followed this parts availability issue for our guns on other posts in the forum. Taurus and other manufacturers create a captive audience with their regulation of parts interchangeability and availability. Their product is good but they need to look at replacement parts and interchangeable parts as another revenue stream. I wonder what their sales figures are for grips and other gun parts items from the Taurus website.

I wonder what dollars they have in open backorders for parts?
It's got to be huge. There's probably a huge amount of money
in just magazine back-orders.

Ford has figured this out. They went from 20 different sub-frames
15 years ago to I think six. They intentionally wanted to reduce their
required parts volume.

Kind of like the tax code. Each newly designed part for a new pistol
is like adding another regulation. Eventually you end up with a LOT
of regulations. Then, you call the IRS asking for help and either they
drop your call or don't know themselves.

All the Best,
D. White

1 - 8 of 8 Posts