Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just purchased a pt140 3rd generation,the sales person at gander mountain told me to try corbon 40s&w 135 gr jhp,would this ammo ok to shoot in this gun ,I read on here that it can be very sensitve to what u put in it. thanks in advance

·
Registered
10,043 Posts
That round is gonna have a lot of bite to it. Cor-Bon loads all their stuff on the hot side. I wouldn't run that through as the first ammo you put in your PT140. I break in a new semi-auto by running 300-500 rounds of hardball through just to check the function.

As for a defensive load in 40 S&W, go with something like many police agencies use. A 180 grain premium JHP such as Winchester Ranger or Federal Tactical HST. Since the 40 S&W is loaded to higher pressures than the 45 ACP I think a 180 grain bullet is the only way to go. It's gonna perform like a 185-200 grain 45 ACP. Plus the heavier bullet is going to reduce muzzle flip some compared to the 135, 155, and even 165 grain loads.

Note on the Cor-Bon: Feeding issues are fairly common due to the wide-mouth and sharp edge of the hollowpoint. I've even had problems with my Glocks using the Cor-Bon JHP's. That's why the NYPD issues the (9mm 124+P+ Speer GD) as standard duty ammo.

The loads I listed above are proven through FBI and various larger police agencies ballistics testing. Excellent penetration and expansion AND high weight retention.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts