Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a brand new PT 138 with about Four Hundred rounds through it. At around 350 rounds it started to lock the slide back half way through a magazine usually around round 3 or 4. I would have to drop the magazine out and beat the slide back forward into battery. Anyone have this issue with their Mil Pro. I have field stripped the weapon and cleaned it but, have not had the chance to test it out since then.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Re: PT138 Pro slide stuck!

:deadhorse: I hope there are some of you still reading this forum. There don't seem to be any new posts on this topic. Anyway, the night before her chl class my wife spent some time at the range practicing. Fired 300 rounds through her new pt 138 pro. THE LAST 25 ROUNDS OR SO IT STARTED TO MISFIRE MORE OFTEN THAN IT WOUD FIRE. aSSUMING IT WAS PRETTY DIRTY i STARTED TO DISASSEMBLE FOR DEEP CLEANING. Following the recomended steps, when i started to move the slide forward, it got to "almost" normal closed position and stopped. The trigger is stuck all the way back and the slide will not move. I ran it over to a local gun smith who of course didn't want to force it and was unable to get it free. I took it to her class and had the instructor as well as several others look at it, but no one could get it free. It is now Monday morning and I thought before I call Taurus and have them tell me to mail it to Florida, I would see if anyone else had this experience or could make a suggestion.

PS. My wife passed with a borrowed very old Beretti .380, shooting a 242 and scoring 94.

thanks,

confused in Texas

·
Registered
31 Posts
So what happened ? Did you send it to the factory?
CHASJAN said:
:deadhorse: I hope there are some of you still reading this forum. There don't seem to be any new posts on this topic. Anyway, the night before her chl class my wife spent some time at the range practicing. Fired 300 rounds through her new pt 138 pro. THE LAST 25 ROUNDS OR SO IT STARTED TO MISFIRE MORE OFTEN THAN IT WOUD FIRE. aSSUMING IT WAS PRETTY DIRTY i STARTED TO DISASSEMBLE FOR DEEP CLEANING. Following the recomended steps, when i started to move the slide forward, it got to "almost" normal closed position and stopped. The trigger is stuck all the way back and the slide will not move. I ran it over to a local gun smith who of course didn't want to force it and was unable to get it free. I took it to her class and had the instructor as well as several others look at it, but no one could get it free. It is now Monday morning and I thought before I call Taurus and have them tell me to mail it to Florida, I would see if anyone else had this experience or could make a suggestion.

PS. My wife passed with a borrowed very old Beretti .380, shooting a 242 and scoring 94.

thanks,

confused in Texas

·
Member Emeritus 1946-2018
35,996 Posts
habcrab75 said:
I have a brand new PT 138 with about Four Hundred rounds through it. At around 350 rounds it started to lock the slide back half way through a magazine usually around round 3 or 4.
If you shot the little pistol 350 times at the range without cleaning it, I would surmise that maybe it needed a fastidious cleaning before proceeding. The smaller the pistol, the quicker they seem to foul and malfunction, unless you take the time to do a deep cleaning every 75 to 100 rounds.

I'm a "clean freak", and have no complaints with my PT138 or my PT111. :guns: :D

·
Registered
31 Posts
I agree on the cleaning, I really don't mind doing it. I use Break free Spray, then rem oil, and surgically grease key areas. I can't go more than a day or 2 after shooting without cleaning, but I've never cleaned during my time at the range while shooting, but after 350 rds I think its a good call to do a quick field clean.

·
Member Emeritus 1946-2018
35,996 Posts
About a month ago, while firing my little TCP .380, the slide began locking back after every shot.

I contacted Taurus Customer Service and they asked me to send the pistol to them for repairs.

Two days ago, they informed me that they were going to replace the pistol with a new one!

Call Customer Service!

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a brand new PT 138 with about Four Hundred rounds through it. At around 350 rounds it started to lock the slide back half way through a magazine usually around round 3 or 4. I would have to drop the magazine out and beat the slide back forward into battery. Anyone have this issue with their Mil Pro. I have field stripped the weapon and cleaned it but, have not had the chance to test it out since then.
I have the same gun. New out of the box and after shooting two mags of ammo, 24 rounds, the slide locked up and the trigger froze. My shooting was done for the day. On the way home from the range I was trying to figure out why the slide would lock. I took the slide lock key and thurned it to lock and then to off and the slide would work. Today, I was at the range again with the Taurus PT138. A new problem has developed. The gun will fire one round and not the next. The firing pin strikes the primer but not hard enough set the primer off to fire the bullet. The gun alternates -- firing one round and not the next. I was using Winchester factory ammo -- 95 gr. FMJ and 95 gr. JHP. So far I am greatly disappointed with this Taurus gun and I own several Taurus guns. I guess my next move is to all Taurus. --Donnie

1 - 9 of 9 Posts