Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone. Need to see if I can get done guidance on my pt111g2. I am not new to the gun world, but new to the pistol world. I have shot about 350 round thru it and on occasion my slide does not fully shut or close. I have used lots of different rounds and loads, from fmj to hollow point, from name brands to reloads. All do it on occasion. My thought is that maybe I'm limp wristing it. I wish I had some pictures to show. Any insight would be great.
Thanks in advance.
Mud

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
9,171 Posts
Unless the take down release or firing pin block is hanging up, I can't think of a reason for the slide to not return to full battery.

·
Registered
243 Posts
It sometimes happen with my PT709. It only happens with FMJ PMP 115gr range ammo though. I was told that this ammo is not as hot as other standard power 9mm ammo. They shoot at something like 100fps slower than say S&B FMJ solids. Perhaps test it with various ammo to see what she likes best. My 709 never gets this problem when I shoot with S&B ammo.
I also get the same problem as well with my S&W target .22 pistol when shooting SV ammo. The moment I switch to HV ammo like Mini Mags the problem goes away completely. I hope this helps.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Had the same problem with my 24/7 G2 not returning the slide to battery. It is currently at Taurus getting checked out. I tried different ammo as well and had about 400 rounds through it as well.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Is it locking back or just not returning to full battery?
Just not returning to full battery. When it gets like that, I can push it with my thumb and it finished closing and I can fire like normal. Then it may be another 50 round before it happens again.

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
Just not returning to full battery. When it gets like that, I can push it with my thumb and it finished closing and I can fire like normal. Then it may be another 50 round before it happens again.

Make sure the spring is centered into the guide rod end cap and fully seated into the slide when reinstalling. There was a PT140 g2 thread not to long ago that had the same/similar problem.

·
Registered
350 Posts
I found the extractor to be very tight. Field strip it and try to slip a round into place on the breech face. I discovered a small burr on the breech,, under the extractor. Very gently filed it off and polished the breech face. Much better now. If everything is smooth you should be able to chamber a round slowly, without having to slam it closed.

·
Registered
9,171 Posts
It's amazing how the smallest things can screw things up, I can make a million dollar machine grind to a halt with a scrap of paper smaller than a stamp. Glad you got it worked out, always good to save a trip to Miami.

Reactions: Panda

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Guys, I will try chambering a round real slow like and see what she does. Should have done that from the beginning. Maybe it is as "Ichaim" described. At least I hope it is. I'll keep the clan informed. I love the knowledge we have here. Thanks again.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I found the extractor to be very tight. Field strip it and try to slip a round into place on the breech face. I discovered a small burr on the breech,, under the extractor. Very gently filed it off and polished the breech face. Much better now. If everything is smooth you should be able to chamber a round slowly, without having to slam it closed.
Forgive me for not knowing gun part terms. I think this is the problem after a closer inspection tonight. As I slide a round into place, it is very tight. You can even see some of the brass coming off were the little clip hold's the bullet in place. So it is ok to use some 500 or so grit sand paper, or is there a better solution that won't leave grit all over. I can imagine sand is not good on a gun. See the pictures below to help explain what I found. Thank you all again for your input and help.

uploadfromtaptalk1428719029352.jpg uploadfromtaptalk1428719048614.jpg uploadfromtaptalk1428719064472.jpg uploadfromtaptalk1428719077505.jpg

·
Registered
350 Posts
If you don't know what you are doing, I strongly suggest you send her, along with the pics and a detailed description of the issues, back to Taurus. It is very easy to screw this up and thereby void the warranty. Just my $.02.

·
Registered
354 Posts
Don't know if its been mentioned already, but the extractor doesn't spring 'over' the case rim while going into battery. Instead, the slide picks up a round from the magazine at the bottom of the breech face then 'slides' up & enters the extractor from behind. There's something wrong if the extractor has to 'spring' over the case rim.

Reactions: RalphG2

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Ok. Then I'll send it back. Glad I took some pictures. Thank you again everyone.

Sent from my SAMSUNG Note3 using Tapatalk

1 - 15 of 15 Posts