Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am having issues feeding rounds. I'll try to explain what is going on. It is random but frequent.

Here is a list of when it doesn't feed but none of these happen all the time.

1. Put a full mag in and pull back and release slide round may or may not feed.

2. put in fresh mag with slide back and hit slide release and sometime it won't properly feed a round

3. while shooting a magazine intermittently it will not fee a new round and in one case slide locked back mid way through magazine

it looks as thought the round is hanging on the feed ramp

happened with three types of ammo today

At the range today first three magazines fired seamlessly

Yesterday it was happening so I came home and thoroughly cleaned it and tried to replicate feeding problems using snap caps to load initial rounds and 30+ times it fed without issue

AS odd as it sounds it seems to happen as the gun heats up but that may be coincidence since I can't find a real pattern

Between yesterday and today I put 350 rounds through it and would guess it failed to feed 20-30 times or more.

The guy I train with who is a firearms instructor and former marine who taught small arms instruction cant figure it out

Last week I replaced the spring and guide rod and springs and striker guide with parts from Lakeline or had a gunsmith do it. That said the gunsmith who at one time was very good is not past his prime (sadly I found out too late) because he allowed lock tite to get on the spring and guide rod and had to clean that mess up because when I first went to pick it up I couldn't pull the slide back more than half an inch.

Thanks for any thoughts anyone may have. I do plan to take it to another gun smith this week but of course as of now I cannot carry it for every day as I can't trust it.

·
Registered
3,521 Posts
Are problems happening with factory rounds with FMJ round nosed bullets?

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I am taking it to a new gunsmith Tuesday. It's our of warranty and I have put in new parts so I think first see what the gunsmith thinks. My thoughts right now are that feed ramps need polishing which might explain why the gun fires well until 30 or 40 rounds go through when it is well cleaned but as crap builds up it is mucking up the ramp.

Looks like an 8 week trip to Miami might be in order.

·
Registered
2,195 Posts
I am taking it to a new gunsmith Tuesday. It's our of warranty and I have put in new parts so I think first see what the gunsmith thinks. My thoughts right now are that feed ramps need polishing which might explain why the gun fires well until 30 or 40 rounds go through when it is well cleaned but as crap builds up it is mucking up the ramp.
Just put factory parts back in and still under warranty. Gunsmith W/ ffl can ship USPS for about $12 to $15 dollars.

·
Super Moderator
38,597 Posts
You can fill out a repair order on-line and have your FFL send it via USPS...I sent two back about 9 weeks ago...Registered mail is OK by an FFL and cost me about 28.00 each. I sent them back because I didn't think a gunsmith could work on them any cheaper especially if it needs parts. Taurus won't ship some parts even to gunsmiths. You can polish the ramp yourself with a Dremel, felt tip (I use the bullet shaped ones) and a metal polishing compound...don't overdo it and change the ramp geometry.

·
Registered
3,521 Posts
Interesting because I called them four weeks ago about recoil spring and guide rod and they pulled up the serial number and said it was out of warranty.
You can go to their website and run the serial number yourself.

·
Registered
3,430 Posts
I've had the same issue on all my Taurui pistols.
In each case it was the same solution.
Mag wear.
The fresh round below was riding too high due to the lips being too far apart.
I have pictures of a good mag vs a bad one.
The empty would hang on the fresh round and jam.
Dropping the mag was some times hard due to the jam.

Solution:
I couldn't see just trashing the mags as several only had a couple hundred rounds loaded in them.
And as we know it can be hard to buy new ones.
I tried to rebend the lips but the metal was too stiff.
So I took a file and opened the 'catch' hole a bit.
This let the mag ride lower in the gun and the next round was lower too.
No more hanging.

For you rich purists just spend the money.
Us po folks can't throw 4 mags each from three guns in the trash.

·
Registered
741 Posts
I am having issues feeding rounds. I'll try to explain what is going on. It is random but frequent.

it looks as thought the round is hanging on the feed ramp

[/QUOTE.

It's hard to tell if you have "exactly" the same problem I have, but it's really close. I'd be interested in knowing how you clear the pistol when it "hangs on the feed ramp." With mine, I would have to pull VERY hard on the mag to get the round to release. No way to eject it by pulling on the slide because the round isn't far enough along for the ejector to engage. When I pull HARD on the slide, the round releases and falls out of the magazine well. Like your experience, this is very sporadic, which is very frustrating. My best guess is there is some issue with the ramp. I've never liked the amount of "slop" in the barrel when a round is loading, nor the notoriously giggly and noisy magazine.

Like you, I had the issue with rounds from multiple manufacturers. Like you, I could never replicate the issue with snap caps. I think that's because they are rounder and softer than the HP rounds I was using. Sporadically, hollow points from all brands would jam into the barrel ramp. I wrote a two page letter to Taurus and sent pics on May 3, and it's still in "Firearm arrived, waiting for repair" status.

I really didn't want to get into polishing the ramp with a Dremel or any other way. I was concerned that if the issue continued, Taurus would claim I had damaged the pistol. There are people on this site who believe shooting several hundred rounds of FMJ will solve the problem, but I think that's just another way of polishing the ramp, so I decided to let Taurus handle that job. I don't know why firing hundreds of rounds of HP wouldn't break in the pistol, if this is the problem. If the failure to go into battery continues when Taurus returns it, I'll send it back to them. As a side note, if you bought a pistol from Academy Sports, they will ship it back for you at no charge.

You are not alone with this issue and I think you should allow Taurus to resolve the problem. If you have a pistol you can't depend on, pull out the after market products you mentioned and send it back.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
How long was turn around? I think I may just dump the whole Taurus thing and go to a SW Shield for carry. I don't think I will ever trust this handgun and don't think I want to try another so it may be for sale and some nice accessories too.

You can fill out a repair order on-line and have your FFL send it via USPS...I sent two back about 9 weeks ago...Registered mail is OK by an FFL and cost me about 28.00 each. I sent them back because I didn't think a gunsmith could work on them any cheaper especially if it needs parts. Taurus won't ship some parts even to gunsmiths. You can polish the ramp yourself with a Dremel, felt tip (I use the bullet shaped ones) and a metal polishing compound...don't overdo it and change the ramp geometry.

·
Super Moderator
38,597 Posts
How long was turn around? I think I may just dump the whole Taurus thing and go to a SW Shield for carry. I don't think I will ever trust this handgun and don't think I want to try another so it may be for sale and some nice accessories too.
About seven weeks door to door. I bought a Shield in 45 ACP but haven't carried it yet because I was wringing it out testing at the range. Still carrying my PT111 G2 which has been consistent.

Reactions: cuatthegym

·
Super Moderator
38,597 Posts
7 weeks would mandate buying a new pistol anyway. I think I'll sell it as is.
I sold my well functioning one in the black finish for 180.00 with a TruGlo front sight and three magazines...FTF with my local FFL.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts