Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I currently own a Glock 22 .40SW and I am looking to purchase a Taurus to replace my .380 CCW.

I would like to go with the PT140 for compatibilty, but as my hands are not as strong as they used to be, I am a lttle concerned on the level of recoil from such a short barrelled pistol in that caliber.

Does anybody have any comments regarding the recoil differences betweeen the PT111 and PT140.

Any help/comments would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

·
32,658 Posts
Laws of physics catch up with this one. :)

The PT111 Mil/pro will be easier to control just alone based on the physics.

Bullets generally range from 90 grains to 147 grains for the 9mm.

For the .40 S&W bullet weights range from about 135 grains to 180grains.

In mass the 9mm. has less to worry about.

.40S&W cartridges are either normally high velocity mid weight bullets or more sedate heavier ones. The light 135 grain bullets are screamers.

Do have a PT111 Mil/pro and find the 9mm. somewhat stiff in the recoil department, but not excessive. There is more recoil and energy with the .40 caliber, but it can be dealt with by techniques.

Either caliber will give you a excellent defense capability and have very good actual real world records for stopping aggressors.

Since one of the requirements is because of lower physical strength the 9mm. PT111Mil/pro may be the way to go.

Slide is easy to rack and takes less effort and energy than the .40 version. Less mass to overcome.

Standard pressure loads in either caliber with a proven jacketed hollowpoint bullet will give you a decent level of protection.

There is one other thing to consider. There are other Taurus Mil/pros than the two mentioned above.

If there is a chance that hand strength and arm strength will further diminish with time then maybe the PT138 or PT132 should be considered. The first is a .380ACP caliber and the second is a .32ACP.

Either have less energy and power, but offer a decent level of protection with a good JHP defense load. Not as good as the 9mm. or the .40 S&W, but ones that are more controlable to shoot,easier guns to manipulate, and less strength needed to rack the slide.

Nothing wrong with the .40S&W cartridge. I'm just going on what you have stated about reduced strength.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Qwiks draw:

I appreciate your response, it was very clear and concise.

I think that I will go with the 9mm.

In regard to your comments about .380. I currently have a .380 and while it is a dream to shoot, I do have some concerns as a SD weapon particulary as they all seem to be so touchy when it comes to JHP rounds.

Thank you again.

·
32,658 Posts
Glad to of of service.

With all the things that have to be considered taking things one at a time is the best way. I still use checklists after 20 years in the USAF. Or at least think that way. Old habits are hard to break. :)

·
Registered
174 Posts
my wife found enough of a difference between the two that she will not even shoot the pt 140 pro anymore, its kind of just been a spare pistol as i carry the 45's and herself the 9mm's. it is a very nice shooting round, i just always been a diehard 45 guy, and she can't do follow up shots with the .40 very well.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts