Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
438 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have a pt111 third gen. pro, and i read in the manual that it will cause permanent damage if you lock the slide with the key while the slide is pulled back, this has happened once on my gun, so i wanted to kow if this really does damage or if my gun should be ok,

·
Moderator Emeritus, with us always.
15,931 Posts
Now I have never had mine lock, without my turning the key. But even though I normally do not use the lock, I could see no reason to lock it, with the slide open. You might damage the lock, but I do not want to test it on mine to find out. If yours still functions, and if you can lock and unlock it with the slide closed, I would say your pretty much good to go.

·
Registered
124 Posts
I've locked it off the gun to see how it works, it's a rotating block. I can see damage resulting if you closed the slide, with the lock engaged. I like it, though don't use it often, but like knowing if my gun fell into the wrong hands the person wouldn't probably be bright enough to figure out how to unlock it.

·
Registered
438 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
ya i looked at the lock as well and that is all it is, a rotating block, i concluded the same, just dont close the slide while it is locked. thanks for the replies

·
Registered
1 Posts
Did you engaging the key lock while the weapon was cocked damage it? I am only asking because I have done the same thing. And I am wondering if i just ****** up my gun. Thanks in advance for your response.

·
Registered
73 Posts
I don't know if you damage your firearm but the manual clearly states only use the lock if the firearm is unloaded and uncocked.

·
Administrator
40,844 Posts
Well, take it out and run it through it's paces. If it functions ok, then just don't do that again. :thumb:

·
Registered
13 Posts
The few times I've locked my Mil Pro PT-145, I wanted to leave it in the car while out concealed carrying. It was loaded and cocked. Locked it when I left it. Unlocked it when I got back. No problems at all.

I'd be happier w/o the lock. I've heard stories of Taurus locks activating themselves. Not something I want to happen on a personal defense gun.

The warning not to lock it loaded and cocked sounds like a safety thing. They also say never to store your gun away in a safe while loaded. (Like that's going to damage the gun.) The idea seems to be when someone finds it locked, they might assume it to be unloaded. I say it's better to never assume it's unloaded.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts