Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
Does anybody know what was done to prevent the recoil spring from popping out like I have read in several posts? As I was cleaning my PT111 for the first time I noticed that the spring was visible in the gap between the frame and guide rod. I will be going to the range on Wed. with thus gun for the first time and hope to not have any problems. Any info would be much appreciated.

Administrator
Don't worry about it. Have fun. When everything goes well forget it. :shooter:

Registered
Sent my spring to Taurus for replacement. That was after it came through slide for the third time. Sent it off in middle of may and havent received replacement yet. Supposedly they are back ordered. If it should happen to you look for post on opening up the end of the spring to prevent it from happening. Wish i had seen it before i sent my spring off.

Registered
I sent my PT111 down to Miami for the same thing. My recoil spring popped out the front.
The new re-designed springs are in stock. My pistol was repaired with the new spring. I bought an extra for $8.25. They have a washer in front of the spring. I have a PT145 and Taurus said it hasn't been faulty like PT111. Therefore they didn't re-design the part for the other pistols. Seems the PT111 is the only one with the problem. Call Taurus and get a new spring. I really like the millpro pistols and am thrilled to know the reliability problem is fixed.

Registered
Purchased a PT111 last night. Shot 100 through it today. No problems. Accurate little gun, but I keep worrying about the spring popping out the front... When might this happen if it is going to happen. First 50 rounds, 100 rounds, 500 rounds?

I didn't notice a washer in front of the spring...

Will

Registered
I have this gun as well and would like to know the skinny on this problem also. I have about 300 rounds through mine and haven't noticed any problems.

Registered
I just had the recoil spring and guide rod come halfway out of the slide today at the range. The dang thing is stuck and you can push it through either one way or the other. Now I have not tried to force it to my total strength but pretty close. Any ideas?

Registered
My wifes 2nd gen Pt111 has about seven to eight thousand rounds through it and it has been 100% with out any failures or problems. I dont think this is a gen. problem, I think its more of a bad batch of slides or springs. If yours does not fail within a few hundred rounds you can stop worrying about it ;)

Registered
I have about 500rounds through my PT111 (latest Gen) and zero functions. I couldn't even see how the spring could get through the slide though. There is a lip that is smaller than the larger spring itself, so no matter what that should stop it there.

Registered
Yea Richard. These are the kind of small problems that you can help us iron out. It will also save wear and tear on the smiths who do the warranty work, thus shortening the turnaround time for those repairs that actually do require a smith.
This makes for a much more efficient shop, and a much happier customer base.
Kudos to you and Taurus.

Registered
Discussion Starter #15
If you guys are having problems withe the captive recoil spring, please send it in and we will send you a new and inproved captive recoil spring.
is there a way of checking if we already have the new spring? I don't want to waste your time or mine if I already have it.
Thank You

Registered
I had a recoil spring pop out the front. I've already sent it back for repair, but the "new" spring looks just like the old one. There is no washer. I'd love to have one of the new and improved springs, I'm willing to buy one. I have a PT111 Mil Pro, and when I called Taurus, I was told that the new and improved springs would not fit my gun, since it was built in 2006??? Serial Number is TZK xxxxx. Any advice (part #)?...Thanks!!! This is the only issue I've had with this weapon, other than that, I love it!!! ???

kc, We have a Taurus factory rep and new member, [email protected], holding court at the Member Introduction board. Give him a gander or ask him directly at the thread at the Member Introduction board.PMing is also available.

Registered
So did the 3rd gen. PT111's come with the upgraded spring, or should I go ahead and order one. I would prefer to fix the problem before it happens. I have not recieved the gun yet, but I asked when it was ordered, and was told it was a 3rd gen.

Registered
Qwiks draw I dont think he has been back on here for a week or so, I sent him a PM last week and I havnt heard anything yet

The answer for the recoil spring is there is a steel washer on the end of the spring. New one's have it on them. [email protected] TaurusUSA said to send the old non working spring in and they'll send new ones out to the individuals who want them.

He answered the recoil spring problem at the Member Introduction thread he has.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts