Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok… I made it to the range and was able to fire one of our new PT111’s. I’ll start this range test/review by stating that I have never done a pistol test before and may have made a few mistakes. With that said, please be gentle with any critique! ;D I shot on a 7 meter range and did all shooting offhand with no rest. The day was cold about 45-47 degrees and the wind was not a factor. I have included photos of all my findings.

What I took to the range:
One of our new PT111’s
5 types of ammo.

see image 1

Ammo used:
Winchester Target 115 FMJ
Blazer Brass 115 FMJ
America Eagle 115 FMJ
Winchester Ranger 115 JHP
Hornady TAP 147 JHP

see image 2

The TEST:
I started the test by shooting two 50 round groups to semi-break the pistol in. I wanted to get a feel for the weapon and how it would shoot. The first 50 rounds I shoot as fast as I could load the mags. (Having 4 of them made that a little easier). The second 50 rounds I took more time and aimed a bit more. You can see the results in the photos. I was very impressed with pistol right out of the box. The pistol fired all 100 break-in rounds with out a single FTF.

se image 4 ( second 50 rounds)

Ammo #1 Winchester Target 115 FMJ
10 rounds offhand – zero FTF

Ammo #2 Blazer Brass 115 FMJ

Ammo #3 America Eagle 115 FMJ

Ammo #4 Winchester Ranger 115 JHP See image 5

Ammo #5 Hornady TAP 147 JHP
5 rounds offhand – zero FTF

All target photos are on the Range report Gallery!

Well as you can see from the photos above… I’m not the best shot in the world, but the pistol performed flawlessly. After my 10 round test groups, I shoot 40 more of each of the Blazer and American Eagle rounds. I then shoot 75 more Winchester Target ammo. That gave me a total of 300 rounds out of the new PT111 with ZERO FTF.

I now understand why cheap ammo is cheap… and people say you get what you pay for. The cheap Blazer Brass was the worst ammo of the 5 types I tested… However, not bad enough to pass up buying when on sale! :D The Winchester Target and America Eagle both performed well and will be my ammo of choice for cheaper range ammo. For personal defense ammo… the hands down winner is the Winchester Ranger 115 JHP. I say this only because in my range test… The Hornady TAP 147 JHP was great for the first three shoots… but then the next 2 rounds, one went 2 inches left then the next went 2 inches right. All five of the test shoot would have been man stoppers… but when compared to the Winchester Rangers… the Horniday will need more testing to convince me to carry them. ( yes I only shoot 5 of the Horniday rounds… that is all I had.)

Conclusion:
I have to say that the PT111 performed much better then I expected for a $350 pistol. It’s a little “snappy” and requires a good locked wrist… But, I am very pleased with the weapon and now feel comfortable carrying this handgun into a personal combat situation. This PT111 does exactly what it is designed to do. I don’t feel the pistol is or was designed to be a “range” gun… and I may only use it a few times in an IDPA match… However, in the area of handgun “social work” I believe this little pistol is more then capable of removing a scumbag from the gene pool.

Bottom line: The PT111 impressed me very much at the range. Its size makes it very concealable and the price should make it attractive to any/everyone. After shooting 300 rounds through this little pistol without a single issue… I am glad I bought not one, but two of these great guns!

Thanks for reading,
Hotrod

p.s. I hope I added the photos the right way!

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
here are the other target photos"

Ammo #1 Winchester Target 115 FMJ SEE image 6

Ammo #2 Blazer Brass 115 FMJ SEE image 7

Ammo #3 America Eagle 115 FMJ SEE image 8

Ammo #4 Winchester Ranger 115 JHP See image 5 in first post

Ammo #5 Hornady TAP 147 JHP SEE image 9
5 rounds offhand – zero FTF

·
Registered
131 Posts
Good shootin'.
I used to have a PT111 9mm and loved it also, but upgraded to a PT145 last year.

Nice groups, but either you use too much finger on the trigger or your sights are a bit to the left.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Great post and nice shootin'. I have enjoyed my pt111 as well. After about 1000 rounds, still looks new.

mrnuke7571 - is the recoil much different from the pt111 to the pt145? I have never shot a 45 and was wondering.

·
Registered
878 Posts
Good Report. Lots of good info. I'm curious: I've never shot 147 out of my Pt111, mostly because the manual says to not go above 124gn. How much snappier, if at all, was the 147 than the 115?
It looks like the ranger 115 jhp was more accurate.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I only had 5 of the 147gr so I didn't get much of a feel for the ammo... However, I did write in my note pad that the pistol want to jump out of my hand with the 147gr ammo. The ranger 115 jhp was the best ammo I fired all day, it felt just like practice ammo in the gun.

I must have missed the part in the users manual about not shooting larger the 124gr ammo... :???: I'll stay away from in from now on.

Thanks

·
Registered
878 Posts
I shot some 124gn nato from GA arms that was fairly lively! I keep 124gn Pmc Starfire in it right now, but I'm thinking about going to a quality 115gn in the future.

·
Registered
131 Posts
heyyodaddio said:
Great post and nice shootin'. I have enjoyed my pt111 as well. After about 1000 rounds, still looks new.

mrnuke7571 - is the recoil much different from the pt111 to the pt145? I have never shot a 45 and was wondering.
Hard to say, It was definitely more recoil, but not OVERLY more. Still very manageable, and surprising considering the small size.
I think the PT145 is one of the BEST .45acp pistols made, IF you can get one that does not have any problems. Knock on wood mine is great.
Can't beat 10+1 in 45acp in a subcompact package and yet nail 4" groups off hand at 15yards.

ps. in my PT111 I broke it in using +P 124gr rounds which is what I carry in my PX4 9mm right now. (Well, +P+ 124 Federal Hydrashocks now) or +P 124 Hornady TAP CQ's after I've seen the penetration and wound channel they create first hand.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Great report. Looks like your groups are pretty consistant, at least.

·
Registered
35 Posts
The manual doesn't really say not to use anything over 124 - it's just showing the max pressure level. If you go to a heavier bullet, it has to be at a lower velocity. There's a post about that in the faq section on this forum. I found that tonight, but I had already called Taurus today to ask them about it. I also asked about using +P in the pt111, and they said that the gun's not rated for it. That's funny - 124gr. at 1225 fps is pretty much +P specs, especially out of a 3.25" barrel. :???:

·
Registered
878 Posts
124gr. at 1225 fps is pretty much +P specs
Yes, your right. I know that's what the NATO stuff was labeled at and it shot it with no problem. I would just be hesitant to go beyond it too often for fears of reducing the life of the firearm. I guess it's like the Pirates Code: It's more of a guideline really....... :D

·
Registered
329 Posts
I was at Walmart last night and they had the Winchester Target 115gr full metal jacket rounds for $15.4(something) per 100 box. I recently bought the same ammo at a gun shop for $10.4(something) per 50 box.

Beats the hell out of buying it at the range.

·
Registered
202 Posts
What kind of holster is that you have. I am looking for a nice one for mine.

·
Registered
878 Posts
I was at Walmart last night and they had the Winchester Target 115gr full metal jacket rounds for $15.4(something) per 100 box.  I recently bought the same ammo at a gun shop for $10.4(something) per 50 box.

Beats the hell out of buying it at the range.
The WWB 9mm at walmart is always a deal, that's for sure.  I just put an order in with Georgia arms.  I get their 9mm for $18/100, which is a little more, but I get a good deal on their 38spl so it evens out pretty good.
Some of the ranges around here won't let you bring your own, so you're at their mercy.  Fortunately there are still a few good ones around that do.  I won't stock up too much, because I'm afraid one day I might walk in and see the sign:  "NO OUTSIDE AMMO" posted. :(

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
The holster is a galco for a xd9 compact. Fits real nice!

The Win 115fmj I tested was walmart $16 per box of 100.... I bought 17 boxes...everyone they had...

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Ok... 100 more rounds through my PT111 with zero FTF... My wife shoot her Pt111 for the first time today and put 150 down range with zero FTF... We are over 500 total round throught these two pistols, and we love them!!!! Great little guns for under $350 each. :D

·
Registered
267 Posts
I've sold insurance and I don't believe that the ranges are being quite honest with you if they say you have to use their ammo for insurance reasons. It's more of one more way to make money issue. Of course that could vary some from state to state. If the area shooter's would boycott those ranges, I'd bet they'd change the policy shortly.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Both of our PT111's are still shooting great!!! We have 1750 plus round down range and only one FTF....

·
Registered
329 Posts
hotrod said:
Both of our PT111's are still shooting great!!! We have 1750 plus round down range and only one FTF....
I wish I were so lucky... it's gotten better but I still have two or three FTF's about every 100 rounds.

·
Registered
876 Posts
Funshooter said:
I've sold insurance and I don't believe that the ranges are being quite honest with you if they say you have to use their ammo for insurance reasons. It's more of one more way to make money issue.
Just to play devil's advocate, if you were shooting reloads, had a catastrophic failure (for whatever reason) and anyone got hurt, I can see the range being sued...

I do however, agree that it's just a way they can "blame" someone else when the sell you overpriced range ammo.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts