Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
While dry firing my pt111, something seems to be wrong. The first trigger pull is normal, but the second one the trigger just pulls all they way back, and doesn't click. I've stripped it down, and compared it to my 24/7 and everything looks normal. It worked fine last weekend while I was at the range though. I take great care of it, so it's always clean and oiled. I'm just hoping someone else has experienced this and could point me in the right direction because for now I'm stumped. Also, when I pull the slide back, I notice the firing pin sticking out of the hole. Any ideas? :???:

·
Registered
438 Posts
i dont have an answer to your question however i own a millenium pro pt11 (great gun) and my manual explicitly says in all caps DO NOT DRY FIRE so im not sure if you dry firing it did anything but just thought i mention that in case you did not know. good luck

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have a PT 111 Mil Pro also. I haven't seen anything in my manual that says not to dry fire...have also seen a lot of discussion on dry firing on various other guns.

So, I called Taurus today and asked a customer service service rep. They said they recommend using snap caps or dummies for dry firing...FYI. :soapbox:

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
I don't have a manual, but a gunsmith I know said to NEVER dry fire a Taurus. :judge:
He said almost all other newer guns are ok. But still not recommended.
He gave an example of some of the lesser than high quality parts Taurus uses.
Just passing along what he said.

·
Premium Member
15,932 Posts
This comes from the most recent Polymar Pistol manual.

SAFETY FIRST: Dry firing is bad for this firearm, whether the hammer
block is engaged or not.

That is the only mention in the last manual you can get online.

·
Registered
6,000 Posts
thunderjohn said:
I don't have a manual, but a gunsmith I know said to NEVER dry fire a Taurus. :judge:
He said almost all other newer guns are ok. But still not recommended.
He gave an example of some of the lesser than high quality parts Taurus uses.
Just passing along what he said.
could you give us an example of what parts he was talking about?
im just curious.

i always decock my guns if im done shooting them.. for strikers that basicly means dry firing.
i doubt a dry fire or two will hurt the gun they probably mean dry firing sessions like 50-100 dry fires at a time.. some people practice dry firing every day which i think is probably what they mean by it.

i once heard someone who dry fired a lot did the math and found (for them and the particular gun they had) it was actually cheaper to replace a firing pin every X amount of dry fires then to buy snap caps which seemed to wear out quicker.

·
Registered
3,737 Posts
I'm with you joe sixpack. I think it would take a lot of dry fires to actually break something in the gun. I dry fire mine after every cleaning.

·
Registered
72 Posts
ptownloc said:
While dry firing my pt111, something seems to be wrong. The first trigger pull is normal, but the second one the trigger just pulls all they way back, and doesn't click. I've stripped it down, and compared it to my 24/7 and everything looks normal. It worked fine last weekend while I was at the range though. I take great care of it, so it's always clean and oiled. I'm just hoping someone else has experienced this and could point me in the right direction because for now I'm stumped. Also, when I pull the slide back, I notice the firing pin sticking out of the hole. Any ideas? :???:
did you ever find out what was wrong with your pistole I have the same problem just orderd a new firing pin spring will let you know if this fixes the problem

1 - 8 of 8 Posts