Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,
I'm currently waiting (patiently...ok, that's a lie) on my KY CCDW, so I've been carrying around the house to get the bugs worked out. I've got two guns that'll be in rotation, and one's (obviously) a PT111 MilPro.

I've got an IWB, but I'm seriously considering an OWB. My usual dress for this will be t-shirts, so I'm a little concerned. I'm wondering how high it'll sit, and how easily it'll cover.

KY is an OC state, so I'm not overly concerned about printing....but it is an issue.

So, how's an OWB holster look with one of these? I've seen some pics of Don Hume's stuff, but I figured I'd see what the experienced say before I lay out any cash.

So..advice? Or better yet, pics!

·
Registered
56 Posts
Hey Drbald1,

I'm in the same position as yourself, lookng for a good OWB carry. In fact, I started a thread below "Akar, Cobra and Tagua Holsters for PT-111" inquiring about three brands of holsters. All reasonably priced, belt carry and two of which are 3-slot. Hopefully some have experience with one or more. There are many out there and most of which I have no experience.

I did try a Fobus paddle earlier today. Not overly impressed as the holster seemed to pull up with a draw. It may be a good back-up however, if i can get one on the cheap. I have a stainless, but some have commented that the fobus (and probably Kydex as well) will cause more holster wear. Makes sense.

Note: there is a Kramer IWB on ebay used for $79.50. It's a "bargain" as they are usually well over $100. Its specifically for PT-111 Pro. For that price I'm hoping for one each of a IWB and OWB.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks, MNewkirk...that's what I'm looking for in advice. That set-up wouldn't work for me, as I'm going to CC more than OC. Bianchi makes good stuff, though.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Oh! I misunderstood your post then. Several options for IWB. I use holster #8343 from www.holsterama.com. This is my IWB:

ImageUploadedByTapatalk HD1329265514.555676.jpg ImageUploadedByTapatalk HD1329265501.009795.jpg

The gun is located at the 2 o'clock position in the full body picture. The area where the shirt is deformed (10 o'clock position) is the end of my belt, not the gun.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
MNewkirk, you were right the first time...sort of. That is, I'm considering carrying OWB, but under a tshirt or untucked button-down. I've got a good IWB, and I like it well enough, but I'm looking at options.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I have tried many options for CC- I have the OWB slide, crossbreed Superturck, Don hume IWB, High noon IWB, Black Widow and the belly band for when I am biking....

Hands down the Crossbreed super tuck is the winner...I even have one for my full size M&P .45 that concels easily in in...

Ordered on for the PT 745...

For me it is about not printing at all...the wife is a DC lawyer, her friends are, well uppity, and so is her family.....so when we go out to dinner the last thing I want to do is freak them out with a gun showing...the wife understand and supports my thoughts, but I try to accomidate others.

That being said I practice constantly drawing from deep concealment....takes tons of practice...

Chris

·
Registered
29,846 Posts
A lot depends on a person's "built"...short, tall, portly, skinny, high waisted, low waisted etc.

And...how high a person wears their pants, how baggy the T-shirt is etc.

With all the new smart phones, and media devices hanging around folks waist nowadays, most people don't pay much attention to a "slight buldge" around the waist line.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks, folks...good stuff, this. For me it's not necessarily about printing. KY is an OC state, so if my gun shows, and I agree with Moondawg...most folks have some measure of Batman utility belt going on as is! I'm more trying to avoid the end of the holster sticking out all the time.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
So....anyone have a Don Hume JIT OWB for their PT111 MilPro? I'm looking for a real-world pic.

Anyone?

Anyone?

·
32,481 Posts
Make sure your shirts are one size to big to help cover things. Light colored shirts and light material shirts are a no-no. Thos help make the gun print.

If you need to bend over bend with the knees to the ground. If you need to reach something high use the opposite hand to get what ever it is.

Should someone try to hug you do so in a way that forces them to hug above the waist and not at it. Hug them low around the waist first if possible.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks, Qwiks. All very good advice, and stuff I'm working on.

My EDC is pretty hard to see, and doesn't print much at all. I can carry the PT111 IWB without much problem, but I think OWB will be more comfy. More comfy means I might wear it more....but I'm cheap and don't want to spend cash on holsters just to try 'em out.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Whoa....Uncle Mike's are free!!??!! :p

Yeah....I'm that cheap. What I've been doing is using my leather IWB holster between the belt and the jeans, and that's a little more comfy. I'm just wondering how high a JIT carries the piece.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts