Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After reading much about problems with earlier generations of the Mil Pro I am wondering how I'll be able to tell which gen of PT111 ships to the shop I ordered it from. Are there any obvious things to looks for? Do all 3rg gen Mil Pro's have the Heinie Straight 8 sites?

I don't want to pay full price for one of the earlier problem versions. The gun is shipping from "Jerry's Sport Center" I believe, a wholesale distributor of guns, ammo and sporting goods. Any help would be appreciated.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Re: Have PT111 on Order and getting Nervous...

If your slide says "PT111PRO" opposite the side that has Millenium stamped on it you have
3rd gen, SA/DA trigger.
To verify, unload the gun, check it twice, pull the trigger and hold it in.
Pull the slide back and release it. Slowly release the trigger and it should reset with
minimal travel SA. Pull the trigger again and then release it all the way. Now your back to DA.

·
Registered
3 Posts

I read on the Taurus site that if you have a "Z" as the first or second letter in the serial number it is the latest S/A D/A version.

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

Thanks for the replies.

I also found the following page that outlines the same issue. Does everyone agree with the author's findings on the differences? Are the Heinie Straight 8 sites on all 3rd Gen. models?

Sorry for the looong URL, but I tried to use TinyURL with no luck....:

http://blog.boiledfrog.us/archives/...the-Taurus-Millennium-and-Millennium-Pro.html

-Rabid

·
32,528 Posts

There is no reason for the most part to fret over getting a bad apple unless the dealer is a fraud.

http://www.taurusarmed.net/forums/index.php?topic=1805.0
This is somewhat related.

Ignore the negative hype and bashing that goes on at other forums.

There are many owners of older 1st and 2nd generation PT111 owners who are getting excellent service from them.

I was one of them, but upgraded to the newer generation because of various JHPs had trouble feeding up the ramp.

Many others are satisfied that their's is feeding their load of choice and hardball ammo just fine.

More and more actual owners of the PT111s and other Taurus products are standing up and telling their true stories at the gun forums. Fact and truth are winning out. So things are looking up.

Most of the bashing and negativity has to do with those who have no experience with Taurus stuff orhave ever owned one.

Not that there are not exceptions to this. Just that a majority of what has been put down in a negative manner is bogus.
And yes, Heinie sights come on the newer guns.

There are those who love or hate them. Some of this has to do with inexperience and lack of practice by owners with that particular gun/ sight system and picture or other sight systems work better for the user.

We have a FAQs and several older threads on using the Heinie sights. Helps the beginners.

Every gun has it's own unique traits that have to be learned over time. Even the same individual examples of the same model.

Like same model cars, no two are exact copies and each has different performance traits.

This means getting used to it and finding out what the performance parameters for that individual gun are.

Assuming what will happen will cause nothing but problems. :) Actual experience with this pistol is the key.

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
PT111 arrived at the gun shop today, was able to handle it and get a bill of sale & SN to get added to my Pistol Permit. In NY you can't walk out with the firearm until a Judge signs a form and it's officially added to the back of your permit.

It's definitely a 3rd gen and looks and feels great. Quite a lot of handgun for not a lot of ca$h! Can't wait to take it home!

It says only Millennium on the left side (if pointed to target) and PT 111 PRO on the right side. Has Heinie/ Straight-8 sites.

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
nfairbank said:
I read on the Taurus site that if you have a "Z" as the first or second letter in the serial number it is the latest S/A D/A version.
BTW there is no "Z" at all in the serial number. Is that normal?

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Mine is serial number TAP7xxxx

It is a Blued Slide.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I dunno if it is different for a PT145, but my(supposedly) new PT145's serial #'s start with NAM 0xxx. Anyone know the birthdate?

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

·
Registered
95 Posts
If you call Taurus Customer Service with the serial number they'll tell you the month and year of manufacture. I did that with a revolver I was looking at a gun shop whose owner claimed it was two years old. It is fifteen years old according to Taurus!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts