Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I took my gun with me to the lake, and got to shoot it for the first time just before dark yesterday. It has a tight pattern, but seems to be shooting a little low and to the left. Could this just be the way I am holding the gun? I did not even look before purchasing the gun if the sights were adjustable. I guess I will just aim high right until I get new sights. I was pretty impressed with how well it shoots though even though I only put 2 clips through it. It is alot louder than my JA nine, but more accurate an alot lighter. So far I am very happy with it. I guess I will have to go an but a couple houndred rounds and head to the range this week if I get the chance. What are the best sights you guys have found? I prefer to use a fine bead if that matters at all. Oh, but was using a full bead and it was still shooting low and left.

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
I have the 3rd Gen. PT111 Mil Pro. I think it was somewhere on this forum someone recommended the "Houge Handall Jr." slip-on grips. I got one and after slipping on and testing grip I trimmed it slightly. I am quite certain this along with getting used to the Heinie sights improved my shot placement tremendously. With the Heinie sights I have to overlay the two sight dots on my intended POI. To me anyways the sights are intended to get you a quick center of mass shot, rather than the kind of accuracy that allows you to knock a fly off of a [email protected]#twagon at 25 yards.

·
Registered
10 Posts
If what you describe is hitting at about the eight o'clock position, it could be finger placement. Use the pad of your finger and not the joint or the second finger bone. Squeeze straight back. Situation might improve.
I have a MP PT111 and had the same difficulty at first. I was used to my G19 with which I could consistently hit shotgun shells at 75 feet. Haven't got to that point with my PT111.

Happy shooting!

·
Registered
9 Posts
I don't know what it is with model but i have the same problem...low and to the left. I have a friend that has the 145, and it shoots low and to the left. It's not a pull problem because my Hi-Point POS has better accuracy. I wish the sites were adjustable.

·
Registered
878 Posts
Try putting your pinky under the mag extension.  You might be milking the trigger/grip.  Hold the the gun in your hand while standing next to a mirror Squeeze the grip.  If your gun takes a nose dive, like mine did, then you need to adjust your grip. Now try it with your pinky under the mag extension. If this solves the nose dive, get the handall.  It seems to prevent this. It helped both my wife and I. We were shooting low and left as well.  Now we're dead on.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I will give that a try. I went to the range, and it is closed on mondays, so if the weather holds out, I will give it a try tomorrow.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Here are the targets from today. I only fired 60 rounds. I was getting agrivated after awhile. No matter how I heald the gun, it seems to always shoot low. I was shooting at 15 yards. Dont laugh, this was the first trip to the range.

As you can tell, I was adjusting my aim as well, but could almost never get it to shoot in the same spot more than twice in a row. I was actually more accurate shooting with one hand.

·
Administrator
39,387 Posts
Most people concentrate more when using one hand. Try 124gr. bullets. Heavier bullets will shoot higher. Looks like you're doing your part. :shooter:

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
To make things worse, there was another guy next to me shooting a .45 revolver. He was putting a hurtin on that steel target of his at 50 yds. I felt like I was close enough to my target to pistol whip it.

·
32,481 Posts
One other possibility. With compact pistols or revolvers that are DAO dipping of the muzzle while pulling the trigger is a a frequent problem. The shooter may not be aware that it is happening for a number of reasons.

Pulling the trigger straight back through consistently would correct it, or the trigger finger could be shifting a bit. Sliding just a little ever much.

Is the pad of the finger or the first joint on the finger being used for follow through?

There is also a crush grip. Grip as hard as possible without losing feeling or blood flow to the fingers.

Are you shooting with thumbs locked straight up,straight out, or straight down? Straight down usually works best.
Is the pinky finger tucked under the butt of the grip? For some this holds the gun steadier and helps with shot to shot recovery.

Shooting heavier bullets should raise the point of impact up some. Heck, I even shoot Silver Bear 145gr. JHPs through my Pt111 from time to time. Problem is.... they quite importing that weight. :bang: :soapbox:
I see others beat me to a lot of this, but figured to encapsulate the whole thing a bit.

Then again, this is a fixed sight gun. Mass produced guns,especially compact ones, can have differ in point of impact issues an a case by case basis for each example of a brand,make, or model of gun. Just like no two cars of even the same model handle or behave exactly alike, the sight regulation on handguns can vary as well.
Manufacturers try to regulate the sight as best they can. Still , it can be hard to do.

If it has a low point of impact and most fixes haven't worked, one has to compensate by aligning the sights until they do hit where they are supposed to. Kentucky windage is what it is called. Might have to raise the front sight just a tad when aiming to bring it up to where it is needed.
For example, on single action revolvers for Cowboy action shooting many makers put to high a front sight on. The owner then files the sight down while experimenting with each group of shots until the right height is achieved.

Can't do that with pistols. Other accomodations need to be made.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I think I am going to shave the front sight down a bit, and give it another try. I will someday get different sights, but can correct it for now by shaving some off the top of the front sight I think. That wond help it shooting to the left, but I can live with that.

·
32,481 Posts
I dont' know that shaving the sight would necessarily be a good idea. I was using the single action revolver example as how sights can be adjusted. There isn't enough metal on the PT111 to get away with that or a possible voiding the warranty.

The sights can be drifted to the right with the right type of punch and and a mallet.Be careful not to hit too hard. Light taps should move the sight over in it's base.Tap it until it is where you want it, but this will take some experimentation. A little bit at a time.

·
Administrator
17,596 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Well, I went back today, and tried again at 10 yards. I did alot better this time. I figured I should start somewhere easy, and work my way up to 15 or 20 yards. BTW, thanks for the target, it works great.
This was 40 rounds of 115 grain full metal jacket winchester's.

·
32,481 Posts
Looking better and better. It does take time. Longer than most of us may want it to for improvement, but better profiency is at hand. You just proved it.

For example, I started out learning on revolvers and could hit things well with the light single action trigger. Double action was a whole different kettle of fish. Even at the distance you shoot at.

I was lucky enough to have a few strangers at this 4 lane range who actually mentored and meaningfully critiqued the shooting I was doing. Even the staff at the gun store and range where I shot watched and gave good advice.

Being consistently accurate became second nature after that. At least with the revolvers. Had to start over from scratch when the pistol shooting started. Thought I knew what there was know about shooting, but was proven false by the feedback from the targets. Went and humbly sought out mentors again. ::) :eek: :) :-\ :-X ;D

Others who were trying to be helpful were not. There's a fine line between showing off and showing proper technique and what it can do.

At least to my mentors shooting and constructive criticism were old hat.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
This target helped out a great deal. It is nice to see a stray bullet, and look where it hit and know what you did wrong. I have loosened up my grip some, and have gotten a little more confident with shooting this gun. I also have a smoother trigger pull now, and hope it just gets better with time. I was too caught up in distance shooting, but around 15 feet is where it counts if I ever had to use it. I think I was just trying too hard before. I think I will give the range a break today, and go to shooters to shoot some skeet. :)

·
32,481 Posts
Over thinking all this while shooting can be just as much of a problem as under doing it. :) Letting things happen naturally at times is hard to do. We want to make good things happen in the worst way. :)

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I have put a few more boxes of ammo through it and either I am getting used to the trigger, or is is working alot smoother now. I really like the gun, and am thinking of adding a PT140 to the collection. I mainly got the 9mm because that is what I am used to, and have always shot, but am looking more and more at the larger guns now. I cant wait to get adj. sights though.

·
Registered
846 Posts
These were all very interesting reading. These guys will help you if you listen to them. I'm far from an expert I used to hunt and shoot, reload alot but took a long break and just now gettin back into it. I agre on the bullet weight and have found some guns just like a certian bullet. My 24/7 pro .40 shoots low with 165 gr. ammo but dead on with 180 gr. This is the same on all brands of factory I've tried. So I just shoot 180 and the PT140 seems to like um also.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts