Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello Wonderful People,

I bought this gun online from one of the outdoors websites, and it is supposedly new.
I don't know if I got a good price or not but I paid $219.99; and I figured that's as low as they get. Now I'm thinking I should have waited to find a G3C!!

But that's not why I called...

I field stripped it when I got it, and it seems a little dirty for supposed having two or three rounds shot through it by Taurus assembly.

I digress again, that's not why I called, either...

When I put the gun back together, and rack the slide back... There is so much pressure against the slide release lever, pressing the slide release down with one thumb to release the slide is impossible. I need two thumbs to getter done.

Or... pull the slide back slightly to relieve the pressure, and then I can depress the slide release with one thumb.
In the heat of the moment, if I have to switch mags and release the slide, I don't want to have to throw the gun at him to defend myself.

Has anyone else encountered this issue, I'm thinking a cleaning and lube job may help, and perhaps file down the edge of the slide release may loosen things up a bit.

I contacted Taurus, and they said they can have the gun sent in to them (whatever that means) for repair, but the turn around time is approx. 12 weeks!!
I did not register the warranty yet, should I just send it back to the store?

Thanks everybody, stay safe and healthy.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Maybe I should rack the slide back, and leave it that way for a couple days to soften up the recoil spring, what say yee?

·
Registered
4,417 Posts
After inserting the loaded magazine, grasp the slide at the serrations at the rear, pull it back and let it go. I've found that the pressure of the recoil spring on my G2C is stronger than my hammer-fired S&W 4506.

·
Super Moderator
37,226 Posts
Welcome from Northern Illinois! I have the PT 111 G2 SS and find it to be a great gun for accuracy, value, capability and dependability. Regarding returning a gun to a store. Once the 4473 is processed you own the gun. They won't take it back. They may take it in trade for something else that they have in stock.

Reactions: CaptainMorgan

·
Registered
273 Posts
A lot of pistols are a bit tougher to release the slide with the slide stop, empty or loaded. Typically, the best way, for me, is to reload and the pull the slide back and release it. A lot of people think it is a slide release, and it can be used this way if you wish, but it's technically a slide stop. There's no right or wrong way, and I don't want the slide stop or slide release debate to begin here. Sometimes I'll use the slide stop tab to release it forward, too. With an empty mag, as Alfonse said, it is way tougher because the empty magazine has the mag follower doing what it's supposed to do, pushing up on the slide stop. Two thumbs are almost always required to release the slide on the empty mag. I gently pull the slide back holding it, and mash the slide stop down, and then let the slide go forward, if on empty mag.

The G2 series are great guns. Period. Not for the money, or whatever a lot of people say. Just great guns. Check your rear sight screw for tightness. I do that on all my G2 and G3 guns; remove rear sight screw and DO NOT lose it, clean the threads, apply a small amount of blue loctite 242, and properly re-install the screw without cross threading and gently tighten. Half past snug on that, as you do not want to strip that tiny screw or screw hole.

·
Vendor
149 Posts
Usually it is as people above have mentioned.

However, on my G2S I did run into an issue where there was enough of a lump on the notch in slide where the slick lock goes that I had to file that portion flat before the slide lock would release correctly. So use caution, and check everything else first, but dont rule out that a small amount of smoothing out might help.

·
Registered
72 Posts
On all of my handguns I pull the slide back ever so slightly and then press the slide stop button down. Its soooooo much easier. Once you get used to it, its no big deal. Good luck.

·
Super Moderator
37,226 Posts
I think that we are out of Luck...he hasn't been back for about a month. ;)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts