Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 1st generation Millenium PT111 and would like to ask your advice about which JHP ammo you have had luck with (if any). I have tried some Federal but the bullet is tapered too much and catches on the feed ramp and I have to "help it" a little by pulling the slide back a little to release it out of the bind. I think if the ammo was more rounded, it would feed fine.

Thanks in advance for your help.

BC

PS If this needs to be in ammo forum please feel free to move.

·
Administrator
40,372 Posts
Re: PT111 Millenium non-Pro

Some guns are just finicky eaters and some are not. I would suggest you try some different brands and styles until you find one that works for you. What works in my Taurus, may not work so well in yours. Good luck.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Smokewagon said:
Some guns are just finicky eaters and some are not. I would suggest you try some different brands and styles until you find one that works for you. What works in my Taurus, may not work so well in yours. Good luck.
Without opening all of the boxes at the LGS, do you know of a resource that depicts the profile of the bullet so I can at least start with some ammo that has a rounded profile instead of the sharp tapered?

BC

·
32,737 Posts
Try Remington Express ammo,designations R9MM1,R9MM2,R9MM3, R9MM6,or R9MM8. These are 115 gr.,124 gr, and the last load is a 147 gr.load.

These have more of a rounded ogive and will feed like ball ammo yet give you the benefits of a JHP.

UMC is Remington and has a L9MM1 designation that's also a JHP round.

There is SilverBear ammo from Russia that is a 115gr. JHP that feeds also.

Used all the above in my PT111, before trading up to the PT111 Mil/pro.

·
32,737 Posts
Winchester's WWB in JHP guise also fed well. Winchester designation USA9JHP is a 115gr.JHP that should feed through the action. There's USAJHP2 that's a 147gr. JHP.

Just buy a box of a few of these designations and see what works and what doesn't. Had to that with mine.

All the loads stated above worked in mine. As has been stated, pistols,especially compact ones,are finicky.

The feedramp in the PT111 seems to be geared towards ball ammo and the JHPs listed above. Found out that not only was the ogive profile important, but the overall length of the cartridge and the bullet was as well.

124gr. bullets were what mine liked best. The Taurus owners manual seems to hint in that direction,too.

·
Registered
6,761 Posts
What Federal load did you try? The 9BP (115gr normal JHP, non +P and non hydra shok) has the just about the same profile as ball.

Otherwise I'd suggest either Federals EFMJ or Corbon's Powerball. If they won't feed nothing will.

And I do realize that these are probably is QD's homework list but you could think of this a getting a look at someone's notes.

Steelheart

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Steelheart said:
What Federal load did you try?
Steelheart
I can't remember now, I kept the brass but like an idiot, I threw them in the box with everything else so now I'm not even sure if it was the Federal. I will go out again and keep better records.

What profile does the Wnchester JHP (inexpensive) have? Seem like it is available for about $20.

Thanks. I will follow up after my next trip to the range.

BC

·
Registered
2,329 Posts
i recently tested my Pt111 pro i put 200 rds throught worked great then. i put 8 rds of corbon 125gr hp feed through like it was dessert clean through and my groupings were really close hope this helps.

everytime i write i sence tex is not far. :)

·
Registered
2,505 Posts
Just curious but has your pistol been properly broke in yet? Could be you just need a little more range time with it to get it worn in to where it feeds everything. Sometimes that is all it takes.

·
Registered
6,761 Posts
Well, I grabbed an assortment of rounds that I had sitting around. I then tried to take a pic with my phone but a close shot doesn't work real well. So here's what I got.

From left to right:
American Eagle 115gr FMJ
Federal 115gr JHP (9BP designator): non +P, non hydra shok
WWB 115gr JHP: non +P, basic cheap JHP from Winchester
Speer 124gr Gold Dot +P Short Barrel load
Blazer Brass 115gr FMJ
Corbon 115gr +P JHP

Steelheart

·
32,737 Posts
Sierra bullet are used by Winchester in WWB ammo. I do believe that Corbon uses them,too. These were or are the one of the standard yardsticks for JHPs in general.

Other ammo makers use the Sierras. These are dynamic expanders,feed well in most pistols, and have enough penetration in the commercial ammo guises they come in.

PT111 and PT111 Millennium Pro feed ramps are very different. Angles are varied and the Millennium Pro's ramp is more substantial. More metal and more area to guide the cartridge up the ramp.

PT111s have less metal and area for feeding the cartridges in. Okay for hardball, but not so for the various JHPs. Newer generation JHPs can be either blunt,short faced, wide mouth cavitied, or a combination of all these.

The heavier the weight in a bullet caliber, usually the longer the bullet is.

Somehwere in the archives are threads and posts of those who have regular PT111s and the owners' choices of JHPs don't seem to give them any trouble

Some of the PT111 owners can put through many types of JHP and others settled on a few decent choices and stuck with that.

This can be taken as a good thing. Though this is case by case basis as compact and subcompact guns are a finicky lot. No two examples necessarily being the same.

In a related item, gripping the compact guns is a whole different fish from the way larger guns are gripped. Not only are the smaller guns more prone to jams with limp wristing,but the type of grip used has a lot to do with things.

There are those who put a one finger or the pinky finger under the grip. Some use a full three fingered grip. This can help or hinder things. Trying various approaches as to what works best are in order.

Having a crush grip where one holds onto the grip as tightly as possible without cutting blood flow to the fingers helps some. Helps keep the grip the same all the way through the shooting process.

Having all the finger exert the same exact pressure when holding the gun,pulling the trigger, and following through are important as well. Any change in that will cause bullet point of impact to change with every shot if this is not consistant.

This may be old hat to most, but this needed to be stated anyway.

·
Administrator
35,627 Posts
A nice alternative might be what I use in my Keltec - the Federal Expanding FMJ load. It is a 105 grain bullet and inside the jacket is a silicone ball that forces the core to expand - radically. The profile is very similar to a FMJ and you get the same expansion. Just another option....... ;)

·
Registered
6,761 Posts
BurkC said:
I have a 1st generation Millenium PT111 and would like to ask your advice about which JHP ammo you have had luck with (if any). I have tried some Federal but the bullet is tapered too much and catches on the feed ramp and I have to "help it" a little by pulling the slide back a little to release it out of the bind. I think if the ammo was more rounded, it would feed fine.

Thanks in advance for your help.

BC

PS If this needs to be in ammo forum please feel free to move.
Just wondering if you had a chance to try anything else out?

Steelheart

·
Registered
834 Posts
I thought i was through with homework when i graduated from college. I think i've done more research since joining this forum than I did the whole time I was in school. It has started getting my mind back into the inquisitive/curious state. Plus, I think that firearms are much more interesting than criminal justice.

·
Administrator
35,627 Posts
aaronc53, don't pump up Qwiks' ego any more than it is....he'll become (more) intolerable.... :)

·
32,737 Posts
Keep it up TTG and I'll have to put the nuclear orbital nuclear weapon platforms over your residence. LOL If the shadow blots out the sun or is getting bigger you have no place to run to. BUWAHAHAHA!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts