Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
4,672 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Put a TruGlo Fat Bead Dual Color Universal fiber optic on a PT111 MilG2

As straightforward as a sight change can be.

1. Unscrew original sight
2. Using stock screw, screw on new sight.

Some blue loctite might be a good idea. I'm not keeping it on there, this one is getting traded away tomorrow.

I'm not as big a fan of fiber optic sights as I used to be, they really shine in lightning where any sights would do just as well, but get dismal quicker as the lightning drops. I prefer the original white dot to this fiber optic, especially since the top side of this fiber optic is rounded and it's easier to line up a flat top edge with the top edges of the rears. Cheap and easy mod to do if you want to give it a try, it might suit you. I bought it on Walmart.com for <$15 and picked it up in-store.

Pics:
CIMG8741.JPG
CIMG8742.JPG
CIMG8748.JPG
CIMG8752.JPG

·
Registered
131 Posts
Looks good. Thanks for information.

·
Registered
2,265 Posts
I have the one color sight, I like it, it's better than the stock post that would never tighten up and would spin about 10 degrees left and right.

·
Registered
619 Posts
Someone just needs to come out with a front and back front sight set for the PT111 G2 already. The stock sights do not work for me at all.

·
Registered
30 Posts
You just remove the screw from the original sight? Any damage to the original? Just in case I wanted to swap back at some point.

·
Registered
4,672 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yes it just unscrews, and no damage, I put the original sight back on right after.

·
Registered
458 Posts
Nice! I might try these. I would prefer the one color type. Which size/number is it? I went to the Truglo website and they list about 10 different types. It doesn't specify which ones fit what guns. Also, I wonder if there would be any adjustments or sighting in needed?

·
Registered
4,672 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Nice! I might try these. I would prefer the one color type. Which size/number is it? I went to the Truglo website and they list about 10 different types. It doesn't specify which ones fit what guns. Also, I wonder if there would be any adjustments or sighting in needed?
Only the universal ones will work, as the universal models have a hole in the sight while model specific ones have a threaded portion instead, if I'm not mistaken.

TG947UG for green .078" fiber diameter
TG947UR for red .078" fiber diameter
TG948UG for green .1" fiber diameter
TG948UR for red .1" fiber diameter
TG948UD for dual color .12" fiber diameter as I showed

All of them are 0.5" long

·
Registered
131 Posts
I like fiber optic sights, so I bought one of these to install on my PT111 G2. For me, the stock screw was too long. It kept bottoming out on the fiber optic and would not allow the sight to get tight. I rummaged around and found the smallest black washer I could find and put it under the screw. This worked. The washer is paper thin too, so it didn't affect the function of the gun, as least with manual racking. I didn't leave the sight installed because I'm going to look for a washer that will have a better fit, as the inside diameter of the one I found was about 1/3 larger than the stock screw head. If I find a compatible washer I'll install it again with the appropriate Loctite. I may also smooth the bottom of the sight since there is small part in the middle (think a base with a shoulder) that sticks out a bit causing the sight to sit higher than the stock one. I'll let you know how it turns out.

FYI - I also discovered the factory sight was not tight. The sight would move fairly easily left and right.

Reactions: RalphG2

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
I like fiber optic sights, so I bought one of these to install on my PT111 G2. For me, the stock screw was too long. It kept bottoming out on the fiber optic and would not allow the sight to get tight. I rummaged around and found the smallest black washer I could find and put it under the screw. This worked. The washer is paper thin too, so it didn't affect the function of the gun, as least with manual racking. I didn't leave the sight installed because I'm going to look for a washer that will have a better fit, as the inside diameter of the one I found was about 1/3 larger than the stock screw head. If I find a compatible washer I'll install it again with the appropriate Loctite. I may also smooth the bottom of the sight since there is small part in the middle (think a base with a shoulder) that sticks out a bit causing the sight to sit higher than the stock one. I'll let you know how it turns out.

FYI - I also discovered the factory sight was not tight. The sight would move fairly easily left and right.
One out of my four G2's had a loose front sight. Luckily, I was able to tighten it without stripping it.

·
Registered
4,672 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
You could always grind down the screw just a tad, but there's definitely enough clearance for the washer idea. Mine went on snug but I can see how it's right on the line for tolerance between parts.

Reactions: Gsx4

·
Registered
131 Posts
One out of my four G2's had a loose front sight. Luckily, I was able to tighten it without stripping it.
Me too. Maybe an extra 1/16 of a turn and it snugged right up.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Update on the site install.

I found a #4 lock washer that was almost a perfect fit under the front site screw. Installed the site for a test fit and it was nice and tight. The only problem was, once assembled the screw head would catch on the rim in front of the chamber on the top of the barrel and bind. If you look at yours, you'll see it's machined somewhat flat at that particular spot. To remedy the screw catching, I took a fine file to the flat spot on the barrel to take it down a bit. I went ten strokes at a time, racked the slide a few times to check, and the new shiny spot would show where the screw head was still rubbing. I did this several times until the screw head was clearing the now flatter spot on the barrel. What I didn't realize was, while I was racking the slide between filings, the screw head was being rubbed/jarred repeatedly to the point the screw in the site stripped the threads, which are cut when you install the screw. In other words it didn't work. It was a $16.50 upgrade try, so no big loss. Not sure if I'll try again or go another route.

Reactions: RalphG2

·
Registered
4,672 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Yeah, if you were going to do any filing, it would make more sense just to file the threaded end of the screw instead of trying to use a washer and then filing your barrel o_O

·
Registered
224 Posts
File the screw.....apply blue loc-tite......make sure it's square.....good to go.

My POI didn't change, but you may want to check to be sure.

Be careful with the old sight and you can always put it back on.

Gsx4....a little loc-tite or epoxy should allow you to "re-thread" it.

·
Registered
131 Posts
File the screw.....apply blue loc-tite......make sure it's square.....good to go.

My POI didn't change, but you may want to check to be sure.

Be careful with the old sight and you can always put it back on.

Gsx4....a little loc-tite or epoxy should allow you to "re-thread" it.
HFultzjr - I did try the Loctite, but to no avail. :(

1 - 20 of 21 Posts