Taurus Firearm Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
32,737 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
shardt

PT111Mil Pro vs Glock 26, Please comment.
« on: November 08, 2007, 09:18:57 PM » Quote Modify Remove Split Topic

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I have a situation that I would like to get your input on..

My brother-in-law's dept. is in process of getting new sidearms. I have the oppt to purchase one of the used Glock 22, for a very, VERY good price. I do not "need" another full size .40, so I was thinking about selling the Glock 22 or trading it for either a PT111, or my brother-in-law's previous BUG - the Glock 26 (very low rounds, he has only shot it for qualifying). I am looking for a 9mm for lower cost shooting, and possibly carry.

I have only shot the Glock 17, and was not super enthused about the trigger safeties. It just felt weird and uncomfortable, but then again I have never shot the PT111 either.

I know the real answer is to go rent and shoot them both to see what fits.

But other than that, what can you all tell me about the comparisons between the two.

Currently I have a PT100AF, a Walther P22, and an old Iver Johnson 32. So what I have does not really compare to either of these..

Any other suggestions for smaller 9's would be appreciated.

Thanks!

zemus

Re: PT111Mil Pro vs Glock 26, Please comment.
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2007, 10:13:46 PM »

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
So you want a compact 9mm with good safties and comfort I would suggest a Taurus PT 24/7 Pro Compact http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/cPath/21_50_495/products_id/21512 This gun has all the features you mentioned above very reasonably priced and come with a 13 and 17 round 9mm mags. The Ribber Grip Overlay is just the amount of comfort you seem to be searching for. The 24/7 carries three safety features including a manual safety lever, trigger block mechanism and a firing pin block locking system (with keys) built right into the gun. I would suggest you take a look at this gun when ever you get a chance. It might be just what your looking for. Here is some more info and a pic of the locking system. http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=84216555

Just to point out Im not trying to venture off your main subject of comparison because I have never held a glock or a PT 111 im just giving an option on your comment in case you dont like the PT 111.

« Last Edit: November 08, 2007, 10:35:38 PM by zemus »

Why do I carry a gun. Because I cant throw a rock 1200FPS!!!

es
Honorary Member

« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2007, 10:55:00 PM »

I chose the PT111 over the G26 just for the feel in my hand.

I have large hands but even with that the PT111 was just a better fit.

As far as carry goes, I keep it in a Cross Breed super tuck and find it very tolerable, might even say comfortable. The size is great for concealed carry.

That being said, they are both quality guns.

As far as carry goes, I keep it in a Cross Breed super tuck and find it very tolerable, might even say comfortable. The size is great for concealed carry.

Qwiks draw

« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2007, 11:25:59 PM »
Have the PT111 Mil/pro. Do have smaller hands and stubby fingers. The PT111 just fit better overall and the trigger was fine. These are DAO style triggers of sorts one way or the other. Just accomplish it in different ways.

Have to adjust one's mindset to deal with a DAO triggered guns compared to how revolvers or other traditional DA/SA pistols work. Have to forget everything one knows about shooting the other types and learn a whole new way to do things. Even the break point and trigger return are different for each type.

Practice,dedication to the type, and experience are what's needed to stay proficient. Takes a bit more of the stated above to stay proficinet as well.

People tend to shoot low with these pistols. This is true for and DOA pistol.Even veteran shooters this can and does happen to.
http://www.taurusarmed.net/forums/index.php?topic=2418.0

I agree with these gents with the recommendation for the PT111 Mil/pro or the 24/7 compact.

If the G26 fits better than the any Taurus then go with that. What fits us again, may not fit you. Granted you already know that. Grip circumference for the G26 are not necessarily the same as the other Glocks.

There's also a split the difference pistol line that you are familar with already though these are larger than any of the suggestions here. The PT 911 or PT 940.

Here's the reasoning. After seeing that you are familiar with the PT100 why not go with a model that has similar manual of arms and controls? Here's the reasoning.

Obviously you are already familiar with the controls. Do not have to change mindset on how to use the gun or mentally have to reset the way of thinking. Just take it and run with what you already know. These are also easier to shoot and have more heft and longer sighting plain over the sub-compact models.

Other suggestion that are not sub-compact are the S&W 908/3913 fmaily or the Kahr K9. Slimmer than the double stack magazine pistols.

The Taurus 911/940 have 4 inch barrels and the latter two mentioned guns have 3.5 inch barrels. Better ballisitics over the sub-compacts and can make use of +P or +P+ ammo, if used, more efficiently than the smaller guns.

Even if you can't rent these guns, do try and handle as many as possible. Most of this is obvious, but am including that anyway.

I've had excellent service out of this particular example of the PT111 Mil/pro, like the trigger, the recoil is easy to deal with, and accuracy is on par with any other very good pistol. Quality is excellent.

9mm. being cheaper to shoot , having less recoil over the larger bores, and having a cartridge that gives a very decent level of protection are the reasons why this cartridge gets used over all others. Less wear and tear on the user as well.

There's good advice so far from everybody.

shardt

« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2007, 09:36:19 PM »

Thanks to all.. All good information that I will consider, sounds like I need to do is simply go try them all and feel them out..

Report to moderator Logged

Qwiks draw

« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2007, 09:56:19 PM »

While this is a Taurus forum and has a bias in that direction staff and members saying that the PT111 is the only way to go would be way out of line.I'm sure there are those who would enthusiastically endorse you go out and get one because these worked out for them, but in reality everyone here knows better than that.

As anyone who has browsed this place for anytime or gone through all or most of the threads here at this forum,one realizes that staff and members have many brands,makes, and models.

There are members who own nothing,but Taurus products, but that's because those work out for them and they need nothing else or want it.Personal choice, niche, and needs filled is why one gets want they want.

Not rabid unadulterated obedience or total blind following because the crowd does so or the owners are blind followers.

Doesn't happen here or at other gun forums for the most part. Where's the common sense or intelligence of doing that? There's an eclectic bunch of staff and membes here with common sense,good reasoning, and the smarts to figure things out in an intelligent way.

So, yes. Trying them out personally is what is best.

No one here would try to tell you that Brand X,Y,or Z is the only one. We might endorse what works for us and why, but that's all we can do. Can give advice to a certain extent, but your needs and wants are not ours.

This isn't a Borg collective or a Marxist regime. We don't follow the leader blindly nor do we follow because of hive like mindedness.

Qwiks draw

« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2007, 12:39:36 PM »

Another few things to add. There are members here, also at THR and TFL gun forums, who have big hands and use a PT111 Mil/pro.

The big thing noticed is the difference between Glock triggers and the way they stage and pull through vs. the Taurus triggers.

There are those who cannot abide by the Glock trigger.The feel,take up, and let off seem odd to the firer. This has been reported any number of times. That was a good deal of the reason for going with the Taurus because take up and follow through seemed more natural. Somewhat subjective, but objective if the firer is distracted or it doesn't feel right no matter how hard one tries 'to get used to it'. Hard to stay concentrated if the trigger is an issue.

Then there are those for whom the Glock trigger is just fine and no thought or feel does not bother the shooter.

Some feel the grips of Glocks are more square or blocky and cause grip problems.Some of this is true, but is a case by case basis.This is why the Taurus PT111 was gone to. More ergonomic. To the shooters anyway.

Again, others do not care or the fit is just right for them with the Glock.

I have shot the Glock 19 and 26, few that they were. A couple of magazines worth isn't a lot.
Came away and later bought the PT111 after checking it out thoroughly.

stephpd

« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2007, 12:25:01 AM

Go to the glock forum and see if you get the same answer!
Talk about rabid fans.

I agree with all the posts above. Try them both if you can. Find out which feels better and which shoots better for you. Both guns are good guns.

Just don't become one of those 'Taurus bashers' 'glocks rule' kind of people.

OKgetdown

« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2007, 01:21:35 AM

First off, I must confess. I am a Glock fan. Actually I will elaborate, I like the full size Glocks. The subcompacts like the G26 simply dont work for me. Very good quality, simply dont work in my hands very well. So that lead me to the pt111 pro. I had owned other Taurus products in the past and have been pleased. I admit I was somewhat leary of the mil pro, but it just felt so good in my hand. So I found a smokin deal on one of the tannish/olive colored framed ones and bought it. So far after between 400 and 500 rounds it has been 100% flawless, so I guess I got one of the good ones. So I'll just say go with whatever feels better for you. If you like the Taurus, you should feel confident in it. Mine has been as reliable as any Glock I have ever owned.

shardt

« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2007, 07:35:37 AM

This is all good stuff... To be honest, I want to do all the prelim research, so I am not trading things in or selling.. When I purchase, it is one that I will probably keep for some time.. I have fairly large hands, so I am kind of leary of any of the subcompacts. Basically if I feel comfortable with the weapon, I will not bash the others... To each their own... I have had nothing but positive feelings for my PT100 that was purchased almost 15 years ago..

Thanks again to all.

Qwiks draw

« Reply #10 on: November 13, 2007, 06:18:53 PM

Glad to be of service and that goes for from us all.

Bias there may be. Some.

Prejudice,no.

As was seen here there is room at the inn for everyone. Great discussion, folks.

okranger

« Reply #11 on: November 18, 2007, 06:15:37 PM

I have both a Glock 26 and a PT-145. I know you asked really about the PT-111 but thought I'd chime in because there are some points between the 2 basic designs. The length and width are pretty much a wash between the 2. The only main difference is the length of the grip, the Glock being quite a bit shorter. Holding side by side it looks to be about an inch.

I don't really think the Glock is any easier to conceal and both seem to carry about the same for me. My PT-145 FEELS so much better, it really is a great pistol to shoot. I do not like the Glock grip at all, it feels strange when you go back and forth, the Taurus is a much more natural pointer for me as well because the Glock has a much more severe grip angle.
If I'm drawing quickly, I find that the Taurus is pretty much pointing at whatever I am looking at when the pistol comes up. If not right on, it is pretty close. Not so with the Glock. The more acute grip angle makes me have to lower the front sight by quite a bit for me to be on target when quick drawing.

Never had a failure in the PT-145, same for the Glock.

I don't think the PT-111 has a rail like the PT-145 so that may not be an issue for you, but I like the fact that I could add a light or laser if I wanted to.

Hands down I prefer the Taurus without a doubt. Wish I had known that before as I bought the G26 new and then added night sights and a 3.5# trigger and a holster for it and will probably loose some $$ on it when I sell, which will be as soon as I can get some pics together and get it on Gunbroker.

Ralph Allen

« Reply #12 on: November 23, 2007, 08:53:24 PM

I totally agree on the try before you buy, if available. I have a G26, PT745, XD40 sub compact, and a PO1 CZ. All have a different feel, trigger, sights and safeties. I love and shoot them all very well. I wouldn't pick any one of them over the other, they are all good. Depends on how your feeling on each day on which one I pack. Try, shoot, buy. It's a vicious cycle and soon you'll need a bigger safe. Happy shopping!
Ralph

adam5

« Reply #13 on: November 25, 2007, 07:04:26 PM

Quote from: es on November 08, 2007, 10:55:00 PM

+1

I find that the G26 feels a little too small in my hand to shoot comfortably. The PT111 is the only subcompact that feels good to me. I also never really got along withe the grip angle on Glocks. My PT111 has been 100% reliable and very accurate at self defense distances. If you are looking for a quality holster for it that won't break the bank, I would highly reccomend [www.southernholsters.com[/url]. I have used their holsters for several guns and the have always fit the gun perfectly, been very well made, and are comfortable to wear all day. I carry mine in one of their 'Memphis' IWB holsters. Tom may only make two holster models, but he and his business partner make their holsters by hand with quality materials and a 4-6 week turn around time. Here are a few pics of mine.

www.Georgia Carry.org Member
www.Georgia Packing.org

Taurus Mill Pro 9mm
Armscor 1911a1 9mm
Colt Army Special .38
Sig P226 9mm W/Crimson Trace grips
1891 Argentine Mauser 7.65ARG
Mossberg Plinkster 702 .22

logartist

« Reply #14 on: November 25, 2007, 10:27:11 PM

I have medium size hands, and the G27 I tried left me wondering where the rest of the grip was. With the finger rest mag floorplate, all my fingers fit, but the backstrap was so short, it just felt funny. The Mil Pro was simply a much better fit. Its plenty compact while filling my hand at the same time. I was also impressed by the DAO trigger on my Mil Pro. I hated DAO until I tried the Mil Pro. On top of that, the Taurus just looks better. Glocks are good tools, but ugly as all getout.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.