Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Took her out yesterday to give it a try. Brought along 200 rounds of winchesters (white box) and CCI Blazers. I had a mixture of grains, 115 & 124. I did not clean the 111 before use, so this may be why I faced the problems I did.

Every time I would fire off a clip (12 rounds), I would periodically experience a click with no boom. Ok, rack the slide, try again. Sometimes I would get through the entire clip and sometimes not (a couple of miss-feeds as well). Then, If I was lucky enough to get through the mag, the slide would not remain open, indicating that the magazine was empty. I tried this throughout my second box, but just gave up. I figure that I would take her home and give her a proper cleaning and oiling. Then I'll try to hit the range later this week and try again.

I never had this problem with my original PT111 DAO nor my PT145 DAO, Any thoughts?

·
Registered
8 Posts
If the no fire you experienced was with a magazine that had winchesters in it the reason you had to fire it twice is winchester primers are harder than others and somtimes takes a second hit to detonate,also the primers could have been set deeper as well.

·
32,808 Posts
Several possibilities come to mind. Has the firing pin channel been cleaned recently? Never should lube ever be put into it. Dirt and crud can accumulate in the channel rapidly. Pistols are usually test fired at the factory so an accumulation of debris would already have been deposited. This area needs to be examined and cleaned. A blast of Casey's Gun Scrubber with the red straw or a Q tip with gun solvent needs to be inserted into the opening. Wear eye protection doing this. Then using clean patches with either a toothpick or dental pick swab the opening and push the patch material into the channel and push back and forth. A dental pick or toothpick may be needed, soaked in cleaning gun solvent to loosen or work stubborn debris out. Work the either pick into the channel and work back and forth on the debris. Then with a dry Q tip or patch wipe away any access solvent or debris. Continue until dirt does not show up on the Q tip, toothpick, or patch. I usually give one more short squirt of Gun Scrubber down the channel to clear out any debris or left over solvents. Gun Scrubber drys and leaves no residue behind. The other posiibility is the magazine may not be seating and catching completely when inserted into the mag well when reloading with a fully charged magazine. Tap the bottom of the magazine lightly with the palm of the left hand after seating it. This will shove the mag in so it catches and locks into position. A weak catch spring could be the culprit and need replacing due. It would drop the mag part way out or all the way out. Might not be noticed when firing or geeting ready to. Another possibility is shooting stance and grip on the gun. Are you shooting with thumbs locked in the up position or down when you fire? If thumbs are locked in the up position then you could be riding the slide or slide stop when firing. This can keep the slide from properly returning fully to battery or at all. Thumbs locked down while firing can cure this. Even limp wristing the pistol can cause the slide not return properly, oreven ever so slightly. A locked wrist and crush grip with your hand or hands would offset this. One squeezes the grip tightly, but not so much as to feel pain. The firing pin spring could also be weak and need replacing as well. More likely it is one of the above reasons than this. Type of ammo can play into this as well. Try a few other brands and see if there is a difference in function and reliability. I have SilverBear, Blazer, WWB, and Remington 115grain practice ammo. Different loads may be better fit and function loads as well as for break in. All work well with my PT111 Millenium pro and have had total reliability. So as you see, there are many factors a to consider. Take the simplest ones first one at a time and experiment. Check closely and observe what happens. A local credited gunsmith may have to take a look and check the pistol over if all else fails. Try what has been suggested above first and then think about caliing Taurus if all else fails. One last thing. Are there any burrs on the feed ramp? Or even nicks in the metal? If the cartridge doesn't sit just right in the chamber the firing pin may not be able to hit the primer hard enough to set the cartridge off. Firing pins have been known to bounce off the primer or not reach the primer at all. Good luck and keep us posted as to relsults.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
QD, thanks for sending me the troubleshooting guide it is a good read (great for the louvre ;D ).

Seriously though, I gave her a good cleaning. I just snowed here in eastern P.A. so the range will have to wait a week. I will send in my report asap. Thanks for the info.

Mike

·
32,808 Posts
If reports on the total snowfall are right on national T.V. , then just use the 6 to 7 foot high drifts as the bullet backstop and just open the garage or a window and shoot from there. ;D :) ;D Just kidding of course. If one asks a question they better be ready for a long read. :) :) We cover everything and go to no expense in time or words to cover it all. ;D ::) :eek: :) Hope you cnan use some of that last speech. ;D

1 - 6 of 6 Posts