Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know how to change the magazine release from left side to the right side on a PT111 mil pro. I'm left handed and the mag release keeps hitting on my vehicle seat and releasing. It appears it can be done but how do you get the spring wire out? ???

·
Registered
13 Posts
take a small screwdriver and push it forward (towards the front of the grip) if you look at the spring it sits in a little detent in the mag release, once you push it forward, you can slide the mag release out. flip it around and slide it back in, move the spring back into the detent, and youre good to go.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks.
So just push the spring forward right at the magazine latch end. That makes sense.
What is a good tool to use to pull it back with. Make a bent wire or curved forceps?
Again Thanks

·
Registered
13 Posts
it will spring back on its own, you might just have to move it a little side to side to get it to snap back into the notch on the mag release

·
Registered
876 Posts
Are you sure it's releasing from contact with the button? My PT745 was releasing on its own and is now in FL for repair.

BTW, I'm left handed as well and will consider moving the release to the other side when I get it back.

tman

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yep it was releasing because of the seats in my van I carry in the 8:00 o'clock position. At the 9:00 o'clock it did not release. But 9:00 o'clock hurt my hip. :mad:

·
Premium Member
785 Posts
davelikegun said:
take a small screwdriver and push it forward (towards the front of the grip) if you look at the spring it sits in a little detent in the mag release, once you push it forward, you can slide the mag release out. flip it around and slide it back in, move the spring back into the detent, and youre good to go.
Dave... a picture is worth a 1,000 words... everyone would love to see what you are talking about!

·
Registered
13 Posts
ok here goes. obviously make sure the gun is clear first. if you take the slide off you can see easier. from the bottom of the gun (through the magwell), take a screwdriver and press the spring forward so it clears the little notch in the mag release. then, while youre holding the spring, push the mag release to the right and it will pop out. take it out, flip it around, and insert it from the left side of the gun. push it all the way in, take the screwdriver and push the spring to the left (side of the gun) so it pops back into the spot on the release.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Wow! Thanks! I really love the way my new PT111 MP feels, handles and shoots... The *only* complaint I had was the right-handed magazine release.

After doing a search here, I found this old thread. So I took a screwdriver to the release spring. It was a bit difficult at first, and I about gave up, when Poof! out came the release bar. I put it back in the reverse way and now I have a nifty left-handed PT111 MP.

I know it is old, and the pictures are now gone, but it really solved my only complaint. Thanks a million!

·
Registered
390 Posts
Since the pics are long gone, here's a video I found on youtube, worked like a charm for me:

·
Registered
134 Posts
FWIW< I accidently bent my spring doing it by pressing on the spring.

I found it easier to come in from the top with a flat screwdiver and press the middle area of the release lever towards the baxk of the gun, and the spring released itself.

Then I had to take the spring out, bend it back straight (cause I screwed up LOL) and it went back together pretty easy.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.