Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New gun, ball ammo. Light cleaning and lube before the range.

Out of 214 rounds, I had around 20-25 "fail to fire" light primer strikes.

The primers were okay, because they subsequently fired when loaded into my CZ.

It happened to both CCI and Remington primers, so its not likely a primer hardness issue.

I was able to get a few of the failed rounds to fire in the PT111 by using the DA trigger pull, but only, say one in five rounds. It took multiple DA strikes to do so, however.

Any thoughts?

·
Registered
32 Posts
I had similar issues with my PT145. Sent it back and they replaced the striker and captive spring assembly. While that improved the situation, it still failed every 40-50 rounds. Not satisfied with that for a carry gun, I took it apart and cleaned the striker channel. Firing with it dry, it now failed every 2-3 rounds.... worse! After a good lube with TriFlow things didn't improve. I'm now frustrated and traveling so I can't do any more for a while... but I'll be contacting Taurus again when I get home.

In the mean time, if you have any success with yours, I'd certainly love to hear about it!

·
Premium Member
785 Posts
There is a delicate balance at work here. Like every striker fired gun, the striker spring has to be strong enough to fire, but light enough that customers don't complain about the heavy trigger weight.

At this point I don't think Taurus has offered varried trigger weight in the captive striker assembly. You might wish to order several assemblies (I think they run about $1 each) and hope that one might be heavier than the rest.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Cimmaron - I'm not sure that will solve the problem, but I'm willing to try. The striker has deep strikes on the bullets that are fired, and a markedly lighter strike on the failed rounds.

There's gotta be a reason for the differentiation in the weight of the strike. There's no way that I'll use it for a carry piece (which is why I bought it) until that particular problem is remedied.

If changing the part that you suggest will solve the problem, I'm all for it.

A pistol should not have two different strike depths.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I have to agree... I'm more than happy to try several springs, but it's really frustrating to purchase what I hoped would be a carry gun, and find it's not going to do the job.

I also have a problem with the "differentiation in the weight of the strike", and in my thread http://www.taurusarmed.net/forums/index.php?topic=2170.0, I took some photos of approximate visual representations of my experimenting. I used a pencil and repeatedly pulled the trigger pointing the muzzle straight up. The three photos show the different heights I noticed of the pencil... presumably representing different "weight of strike", and all using the same spring.

Just a strange set of circumstances that bugs me! (and one I'd love to fix!)

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Talked to Taurus today - they told me to send it in. I've got other carry guns and other 9mms, so off it will go.

·
Registered
4 Posts
My PT145 did the same thing. I sent it in and when it came back I could tell the firing pin spring was much stronger. When I pull the trigger (empty gun) the firing pin really launched forward. The gun works with all ammo now. I'm sending my PT745 to Miami for the same fix. I think Taurus beefed up the spring.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts