Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’ve had this gun for a few years now with no issues at all. Then one day at the range, the trigger safety tab stopped having “tension”. I took the gun to a gunsmith and this is what he found.... part 4.07, trigger safety broke! I messaged taurus and they refuse to ship the part to me and I do not want to ship it to them and wait months and months to get it back.... does anyone know where to find this part or if there are third party trigger replacements (that keep single/double action and trigger safety). Im not sure how safe the gun is now. If the gun is facing downwards the tab is out but if pressed or facing up, it falls into the trigger as it has no tension... the gun fires fine but Im worried a “drop” could cause it to fire as the trigger safety doesnt stay tensioned.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,087 Posts
I would just get one of the after market triggers although I think they convert gun to double action only. . There are threads here that show them. Guess this is still happening ? This is why I do not use my G2 for EDC. I lost all confidence in its reliability.

·
Registered
10,614 Posts
This does happen on occasion and was more common several years ago after the G2 was first introduced. Unlike a Glock, you will need to send it back for repair. There are stories of the pistols being in Florida for several months but my experience has bee one of rapid turn around. It is a simple part to replace so turn around should be very quick.

·
Registered
380 Posts
My 2013 model year G2 is acting like yours and assume it is similar to your problem. I do not want to send mine in either. Luckily I have other pistols. I should send it in eventually or I will trade it in with full disclosure at one of the shops I have a good relationship with. I'm just at a point where at most it would be a truck or boat gun even if I did get it fixed. Just too many good pistols out there that I enjoy and trust more shooting and carrying.

Don't get me wrong, G2's are still good pistols, I just never got to a point of accuracy and a too far back trigger break comfort level ergonomically that other pistols provide and works better for me.

·
Registered
3,225 Posts
Some JB Weld and a Dremel should fix you up in no time :)

Send it in. It will be worth the wait.

All the Best,
D. White

·
Registered
36,916 Posts
If it is a weapon that I rely on for self defense (and I assume as of its size it is) there is no way I am carrying that around or relying on it.
it gets sent back to the manufacture for repair and then a good testing by me to make sure it will work if called upon to do so.
I would be a lot less worried about me dropping it and it going off than me pulling the trigger and it NOT firing myself.
parts for a Taurus---Shirley you are joking!!!

Reactions: Taurus1965

·
Registered
6,735 Posts
Looks like a pretty simple part, how good are you with a dremel?

·
Registered
14,128 Posts
If it were me I would just send it in and let Taurus take care of the fix. But then, my FFL will send it to Taurus for only $10. If I had to pay $40 or more for shipping back a $200 pistol I would most likely look at doing the trigger replacement option via aftermarket.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks to everyone for replying. As far as this issue goes, I'd rather not send it back to Taurus. They have really pissed me off by refusing to send me the part stating its a "restricted" part.... like it has a serial number or something and like I have not already taken it apart and re-aasembled it.

Anyhow,

could someone point out an aftermarket trigger for this?? I would prefer to keep the single/double action on it plus the trigger safety.

Also, any ideas what could happen if I just leave it as it is? It fires fine and nothing gets "stuck". My gunsmith suggested we eeliminate the part but I left it in there.

Are these G2 prone to firing on their own if its not for that trigger safety??

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
My 2013 model year G2 is acting like yours and assume it is similar to your problem. I do not want to send mine in either. Luckily I have other pistols. I should send it in eventually or I will trade it in with full disclosure at one of the shops I have a good relationship with. I'm just at a point where at most it would be a truck or boat gun even if I did get it fixed. Just too many good pistols out there that I enjoy and trust more shooting and carrying.

Don't get me wrong, G2's are still good pistols, I just never got to a point of accuracy and a too far back trigger break comfort level ergonomically that other pistols provide and works better for me.
Did the same problem happen to you? I've looked online and havent found info on this particular issue.

·
Registered
345 Posts
Based upon a YouTube video posted by the FireArm Guy younare not the only one to experience this. Taurus corrected the problem in the G2C by employing a solid trigger safety instead of the one in the G2. Nothing else in the assembly changed. They simply made the device stronger and less susceptible to breakup ing.

You might try to order the new part for the G2C. Would not surprise me if Taurus was not wanting to ship,the older defective part so wants to force people to have repair that they will not see the obvious difference in the two safeties. Maybe they will send the new part.

Local gunsmithnought to be able to get you one. Since the G2 C is relatively new it would not surprise me if the part was not available yet from non OEM vendors.

·
Registered
3,915 Posts
Has anyone figured out any work arounds?

Edit: Read the other thread with the suggestion of shrink tubing. Best idea I’ve seen. Other than an aftermarket replacement part. Haven’t had a problem with either of my G2s, so I guess I’m just borrowing trouble.

·
Registered
345 Posts
Let me begin by stating I have no expertise in such solutions, but I did learn to innovate and improvise in the Corps. If I had to replace the trigger safety and could not get the part, I would purchase polymer beads (on ebay) and make a replacement part. The beads soften in not water and then then the plastic can me formed to th desired shape. It would take much utrial and error but it can be done. The other solution would be to find a broke. Pt111 and but it to salvage its trigger.

That said I want to mention that if people think Taurus guns have problems, you should follow the S&W and Ruger forums I follow. Same stories but different guns. Perfect Jin is not attainable.

·
Super Moderator
37,571 Posts
Thinking about this further, if you like the platform wait for a good deal on a G2C...you already have additional magazines and perhaps some accessories. If you only find ways to send yours back for 50 bucks or more, this only puts you back 150-170 dollars. Use your existing gun for spare parts down the line or wait until you get a good price ( <30 ) on a replacement trigger to get your existing pistol back in service. If you find an FFL that will use USPS to send it back for under thirty bucks, that would be the route to take. If you buy the replacement G2C from that FFL, they may negotiate a lower price on sending yours back. I sent two guns back to Miami last year with my friendly FFL/gun range for about 28.00 each.

·
Vendor
149 Posts
Does anyone know where to find this part or if there are third party trigger replacements (that keep single/double action and trigger safety). Im not sure how safe the gun is now. If the gun is facing downwards the tab is out but if pressed or facing up, it falls into the trigger as it has no tension... the gun fires fine but Im worried a “drop” could cause it to fire as the trigger safety doesnt stay tensioned.
As far as I know there is no one who makes an aftermarket trigger that keeps the restrike capability and the trigger safety. If your main concern is drop safety, it isnt an issue with the PT111 G2 even without a trigger safety, as the stock trigger is so light that even if it is dropped backwards the firing mechanism wont discharge. I tested this myself by dropping my PT111 G2 backwards from a height of 4 feet onto thinly covered concrete 20 times in a row, and not one of those times caused the action to be released. So I would say that using the gun with the stock trigger and the safety blade removed is just as safe as the thousands of new guns you can buy today that do not include a trigger safety stock.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Could you find a second gun anywhere for cheap, and cannibalize it? Might actually make sense ITLR.

Sooner or later someone will start 3D printing hard-to-find parts, or?

·
23,078 Posts
This is why I'll never own a S&W poly gun (if I started buying poly guns again for some reason) with their hinged trigger. Imagine where you'd be if that broke.

·
Vendor
149 Posts
Sooner or later someone will start 3D printing hard-to-find parts, or?
Cant make replacement for the stock PT111 G2 safety blade on a 3D printer, as it is an abomination made of steel wrapped in nylon with nylon projections, where it usually breaks is where the steel meets the nylon, and neither something made out of all nylon, or all steel that you could 3D print could replace it. It is possible you could make a replacement out of all spring steel, but it would be a very delicate process and I am not sure how long it would hold up.

Looking at the design of the PT111 G2 compared to other guns with trigger safeties, I am personally pretty convinced that the trigger safety was a last minute thing and not baked into the design from the beginning, because honestly the silly metal hook thing they used is more complex, more delicate, less reliable, and more expensive than a standard nylon folding block type setup, but their gun design kind of painted them into a corner.

I have been working on a better safety system to use with my SAO style triggers that will work without the silly metal hook, but it is pretty difficult with the PT111 G2, and I am not sure how viable it will be across the whole range of Taurus manufacturing tolerences.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts