Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everybody,

After a lot of research, I've decided to buy the pt111 G2 and I am picking it up tomorrow. According to their website, it is a blue finish. What product would you use to protect the finish of the gun? I've read some things online about using Renaissance Wax on blue finishes to help fight rust and making it easier for cleanings. But how would a wax-like product effect a matte finish like what is on the G2?

Thanks,
Joe

·
Registered
2,946 Posts
I've never used any wax product nor do I know anything about the product mentioned in your post. For years, I've used Mobil 1 inside and outside of my firearms and have never experienced rust on the metal surfaces. I'm sure the Frog Lube fans will recommend their favorite product. :D

·
Registered
3,782 Posts
Ive worn the blued version of the G2 16 hours a day for over a year...it only gets cleaned when I shoot it. Ive never seen ANY rust. If you wipe it down every so often, i doubt you will ever have to worry about rust... As to the finish, mine is starting to show some wear due to the Fobus and kydex holsters I use.....The wear actually is giving it some personality. I see no real reason to put anything on it that doesnt wipe right off.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ive worn the blued version of the G2 16 hours a day for over a year...it only gets cleaned when I shoot it. Ive never seen ANY rust. If you wipe it down every so often, i doubt you will ever have to worry about rust... As to the finish, mine is starting to show some wear due to the Fobus and kydex holsters I use.....The wear actually is giving it some personality. I see no real reason to put anything on it that doesnt wipe right off.
Good to hear! I've never owned a blued gun the only ones I have are a stainless one and a parkerized shotgun.

·
Registered
6,961 Posts
Hey everybody,

After a lot of research, I've decided to buy the pt111 G2 and I am picking it up tomorrow. According to their website, it is a blue finish. What product would you use to protect the finish of the gun? I've read some things online about using Renaissance Wax on blue finishes to help fight rust and making it easier for cleanings. But how would a wax-like product effect a matte finish like what is on the G2?

Thanks,
Joe
Welcome from Texas! I've never put any protective coat on the slide either except my favorite gun oil Eezox. I wiped down my EDC everyday at the end of the day with Eezox to prevent rust and that's it.

·
Registered
24,853 Posts
Welcome to TA from Minnesota. You have gotten some very good advice.

·
Registered
5,348 Posts
As long as you keep a blued firearm clean and wipe it down with a good gun oil or silicone rag, you should be fine. I've never had a problem with bluing rusting either. However, I can say that Renn Wax is good stuff. I have been using it on cutlery for at least a decade. You just rub it on, wait a few minutes, and then polish off the hardened wax -- works like a charm.

Let me also recommend a product which I have been using on my carbon steel cutlery for ages, and on firearms as well: A.G. Russell Knives | RustFree™. It doesn't take very much to protect the finish -- that little bottle lasts years and years.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Alright everybody. My Ren Wax came in. I applied 2 coats of the stuff. Just like somebody suggested, it will not add shine. It does change the feel just a bit though. I makes it more 'chalk like', but in a good way. You can tell that it will repel fingerprints and whatnot. And here is a picture of the finished product. Note the difference? No you don't. You can't even tell. Time will tell! I imagine after a good cleaning I will have to reapply it because of oil getting onto the slide.

image.jpg

·
Registered
65 Posts
After Doc showed that picture of his 45, I bought both the Ren Wax & Site Glo Paint. Just got them both today & did my G2 like you did Joey. The wax really did a beautiful job on my blue PPK's. The G2 does look better too.

Doc, Is that a good thing to use for storage ? That is a beautiful 45.

I painted 3 guns with the paint & it takes 24 hours to dry. let you know when it does.

·
Registered
445 Posts
After Doc showed that picture of his 45, I bought both the Ren Wax & Site Glo Paint. Just got them both today & did my G2 like you did Joey. The wax really did a beautiful job on my blue PPK's. The G2 does look better too.

Doc, Is that a good thing to use for storage ? That is a beautiful 45.

I painted 3 guns with the paint & it takes 24 hours to dry. let you know when it does.
excellent for storage....we use it on everything

1 - 20 of 21 Posts