Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So im a new shooter and after reading a bunch of reviews for and against the PT111G2 I read some reviews here and picked one up last year. So far ive put 175 rounds of Fiocchi FMJ 124Gr and 50 JHP 124GR though it withtout any issues whatsoever. As I am a new shooter I have been practicing at 20, 25, and 30 ft to get a better range of ability and also doing some drills.

What i'd appreciate advice on is whether I need to adjust my sights a little as I have a tendency to land most of my shots between 6 and 10 especially at 25 feet and past. Here is one of my targets from last week (my first day of practice) at 25 feet and you will see the spread tending toward left and down.

Anyways, overall I am very happy with my purchase and look forward to becoming as proficient as my budget allows me to become!

Attachments

·
Banned
4,206 Posts
You might look at the Lakeline LLC Fiber Optic sights. Very easy to install, accurate if you get them sighted in correctly, and look great on the gun. Also, Lakeline is a sponsor vendor of the site and have great customer service. I think the price is about $20 for the front and rear. www.lakelinellc.com. And I have no affiliation with Lakeline, just a satisfied customer.

·
Registered
4,807 Posts
The spread you show on that target tends to be typical for new shooters or those who are used to other guns. First thing is to make sure you have the pad of the trigger finger on the trigger, not the crease of the joint. Second would be to dry fire with a coin on the front sight to get your trigger pull smooth and consistent. Make sure you use snap caps and keep any live ammo away while dry firing. You may also want to let someone else shoot to see if they get the same results or use a rest to see if that helps.
Leave changing the sights or assisting them till you have exhausted all possibilities.

Good luck and welcome to the forum.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
You might look at the Lakeline LLC Fiber Optic sights. Very easy to install, accurate if you get them sighted in correctly, and look great on the gun. Also, Lakeline is a sponsor vendor of the site and have great customer service. I think the price is about $20 for the front and rear. www.lakelinellc.com. And I have no affiliation with Lakeline, just a satisfied customer.
Thanks for the info on Lakeline -I'll bookmark that for when I get into upgrading parts!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have been balancing a penny on the front nose and dry firing although without snap caps or anything. As someone who never fired guns before I expect to have a large learning curve but also want to try make sure I dont foster any bad habits from the get-go hence the request for advice. Also, seeing as the PT111 is a short barrel should I be less concerned with the spread at 25ft? Is it reasonable to have very tight grouping at that distance with the 3.25 inch barrel?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Captain Morgan - I have been balancing a penny on the front nose and dry firing although without snap caps or anything. As someone who never fired guns before I expect to have a large learning curve but also want to try make sure I dont foster any bad habits from the get-go hence the request for advice. Also, seeing as the PT111 is a short barrel should I be less concerned with the spread at 25ft? Is it reasonable to have very tight grouping at that distance with the 3.25 inch barrel?

·
Registered
4,807 Posts
Every shooter is different but this gun is coming for people to have complaints that are similar to yours.... Most who move the sights find it to not be a gun issue as they move them with no affect. That chart is a perfect too to determine the problem. If you search this forum you will find tons of posts with exactly the same issue.
It is generally trigger control.
Good luck.
I will likely be back in the same boat as I haven't been to the range in months.

·
Registered
2,087 Posts
I adjusted my factory rear sight all the way to the right and that took care of the shooting left issue. As far as shooting low try covering the center of target with front sight. Worked for me.

·
Registered
2,602 Posts
Welcome aboard, from Las Vegas!
Your shooting doesn't look too bad to me, for a newbie.
I'm glad you got a good PT-111 G2. Most of them are, but from reading posts on this site it seems like about 5-10% are lemons. That indicates a QA problem at Taurus.
I have two PT-111's and think they are great. If it only had a decocker it would be perfect!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I adjusted my factory rear sight all the way to the right and that took care of the shooting left issue. As far as shooting low try covering the center of target with front sight. Worked for me.
I think I will have to test it by firing it in from a table vice to eliminate handler movement and see where I go from there and if need be adjust the sights. Seeing as i'm brand new to this the issue should be with my handling and lack of technique although I could have sworn that shooting through my legs felt appropriate :D

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Welcome aboard, from Las Vegas!
Your shooting doesn't look too bad to me, for a newbie.
I'm glad you got a good PT-111 G2. Most of them are, but from reading posts on this site it seems like about 5-10% are lemons. That indicates a QA problem at Taurus.
I have two PT-111's and think they are great. If it only had a decocker it would be perfect!
Thanks. Yes, it functions fine from what I can tell - no jams, nothing catching or badly milled.

·
Registered
518 Posts
The PT111G2 was the first pistol I purchased, and I had not fired a gun in 25y. I was all over the place, worse than you. I was at the rage with a friend and tried out his P226, and was able to shoot that very accurately. These compact polymer pistols take some time to get used to. It probably took about a year for me to become consistent with this pistol. I don't shoot every week, sometimes 4-6 weeks between sessions. I moved the target in, and focused on grip and trigger finger independence. I used the PT111 at a tactical pistol workshop last week and was able to make double tap chest shots about 3 inches apart at 20ft in most exercises.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

1 - 12 of 12 Posts