Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Based on what I've seen in the manual and looking at the thing, the mag baseplate should be easily removed in the same manner as say a beretta mag or any other typical pistol mag? Mine seems stuck or maybe glued?

·
Registered
131 Posts
Mine were "well" seated too. Stuck, if you will. I had to use a rubber mallet to encourage the base plate to move with a punch inserted in the magazine. I bumped the front side of the magazine with the back edge of the base plate against the edge of my work bench. Once it moved I was able to push it the rest of the way by hand. Others came off by hand with no problem.

·
Registered
9,171 Posts
It's probably preservative, both plates on my 140 magazines were pretty stiff to get apart. Shove a screwdriver or something else tough enough to push the inner plate out the way and then gently pry forward towards the finger groove. The new mag baseplates are kinda strange, it doesn't grab a set of outer lips. It grabs from the inner portion of the magazine, and as such the inner baseplate has to be tipped to one side before you can remove it from the magazine body.

·
Registered
2,513 Posts
One of my mags was the same way. It just took a little extra oomph to get it off the first time. It has been fine since.

·
Registered
497 Posts
I stick a punch in the hole and push the mag down hard on a flat surface at 45 degrees so that the baseplate is forced up and the the right (I'm RH). It pops over the nub easy every time. Just doing it like a normal mag is challenging.

Then you gotta stick something skinny in it on one side to remove the little spring clip deal. I usually use a dental flosser as it's handy and soft and won't mar the finish.

You can also use the flossers for chamber flags if you're in need of one.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Out of the 3 I have, the original two that cake with my G2 cane off fairly easy but the Taurus replacement G2 magazine did give a fight the first time I went to remove it. Since then it comes off just a easy as the other two. I think you'll have the same results. Good luck.

·
Registered
29,895 Posts
On new magazines I "baste" the base plate mating surfaces in WD-40 for about 30 minutes and it helps tremendously.

·
Registered
7,760 Posts
On new magazines I "baste" the base plate mating surfaces in WD-40 for about 30 minutes and it helps tremendously.

Thanks, I'll have to try that on my wife's pt 740.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts