Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm new to the forum and just started reading it a few weeks ago when I was considering a PT111 G2. I bought one last week. It's my first semi-automatic, and the first hand gun I've owned at all in 20 years. When I got it, I field stripped it, cleaned, and lightly lubed it. I loaded both magazines and let them sit for 48 hours as the manual stated. I took it to the range this weekend, and out of about 120 rounds I probably had 15-20 failures to feed. I got them using three different brands of ammo - Winchester White Box 115 grain, Remington UMC 115 grain, an some of my father in law's 115 grain (I think) Cabela's ammo. Sometimes even the first round wouldn't feed. I would rack the slide and the nose of the bullet would just get stuck on the feed ramp. And every time it failed, that's what would happen. Usually I could tap the back of the slide and it would feed. On a few occasions it happened 3 or 4 rounds in a row, and it happened on both magazines. I don't recall a single magazine that didn't have at least 1 failure until the end of the session. Toward the end of the session, I borrowed a magazine from my father in law's older PT111 and didn't get any failures to feed. After that, I loaded one of my magazines with my last 12 rounds and had no failures.

So I have a couple of questions. My feed ramp looks very clean. Before I took it to the range, I cleaned it very well with Hoppes #9. I didn't put any lube at all on the feed ramp. Should there be lube on the ramp? I also didn't take the magazines apart, and I'm wondering if I should do that or wait and see how it does with a few more rounds through it. Considering that my father in law's magazine worked (though I just tried it once), I'm suspecting it might be a magazine break-in issue. Any other thoughts?

·
Registered
310 Posts
i wouldn't put any lube on the ramp. that's just askin for build up and more problems. cleaning the mags couldn't hurt altho i didn't have to clean either of mine. i DID have to start takin steroids in order to load them to capacity tho. heh.

·
Banned
15,276 Posts
mouse_sweeping_welcome.gif From Northeast Florida! I would wait until you have around 200 or 300 rounds down range before you get to involved with messing with anything. Just make sure every thing is good and clean and well lube. I am sure a PT111 G2 expert will be along soon.

·
Registered
24,615 Posts
Welcome to TA from Minnesota.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for all of the welcomes! I'm really looking forward to getting to know my G2 better. I liked everything about it aside from the FTFs. I didn't try it beyond 7 yards, and unless I took my time my groupings weren't that great, but when I took my time to aim, it hit right where I was aiming it.

·
Registered
4,445 Posts
Disassemble and clean all the mag components to get rid of the packing grease. I would also clean the recoil spring. Do NOT lube the feed ramp or the any of magazine components.

Shoot each mag stacked with 10 or less rounds (making sure each round is well seated when loading). Do this several times, then move to 11 rounds for several more cycles before going to 12. If it still gives you trouble, have someone else shoot through several magazines to make sure it's the gun and not you. If it's still acting up, you'll have to send it in.

Good luck!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Disassemble and clean all the mag components to get rid of the packing grease. I would also clean the recoil spring. Do NOT lube the feed ramp or the any of magazine components.

Shoot each mag stacked with 10 or less rounds (making sure each round is well seated when loading). Do this several times, then move to 11 rounds for several more cycles before going to 12. If it still gives you trouble, have someone else shoot through several magazines to make sure it's the gun and not you. If it's still acting up, you'll have to send it in.

Good luck!
Thanks Drewski! I did clean the recoil spring before I shot it, but I'll do it again. I didn't see anything in the manual about how to disassemble the magazine. I'll have to Google it.

I also wasn't too sure about what to lube and what not to lube. I didn't want to slather it with oil, so I pretty much just used a cotton swab to get a little oil on the slide guides.

·
Registered
4,445 Posts
Thanks Drewski! I did clean the recoil spring before I shot it, but I'll do it again. I didn't see anything in the manual about how to disassemble the magazine. I'll have to Google it.

I also wasn't too sure about what to lube and what not to lube. I didn't want to slather it with oil, so I pretty much just used a cotton swab to get a little oil on the slide guides.
For the magazines, depress the button/catch on the very bottom and slide the plastic base plate/extension forward to remove it. Then take a retracted ball point pen (or similar non-mental tool) and depress the metal base plate from either the left or right edge as far down as you can to angle the base plate. Give it a few jiggles, and after swearing at it for a few minutes, it should pop free on the opposite side. Remove the base plate, spring and follower. Clean and dry everything, including the inside of the magazine body and reassemble.

As for lube, a few drops of grease or gun oil on the rails/slide channels and all the contact points on the barrel and locking block and you're good to go.

Hopefully the cleaning takes care of the FTF issues. Would suck to have to send in a brand new firearm for repair.

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
Take the slide off and clean the slide grooves better using a plastic pick or something that will get all the factory brown gunk out of them. After that, I smear one drop of oil in each of the two slide grooves and one drop on each of the 4 steel frame guides. Then make sure the extractor (claw) underside is clean, a paper clip works well for that. Next, check the magazine feed lips for any burrs that might need to be removed.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks again for all of the advice. I'll take the magazines apart tonight and clean them. Probably give the guides another cleaning with a toothpick or something similar, and I'll take a look at the extractor. I won't be able to get to the range again until later this week, but hopefully this will take care of it.

Based on everything I've heard about these guns, I suspect it's a cleaning or break-in issue. I wish I'd had more ammo last Saturday because the last two magazines (one of mine and one of my father in law's) fed beautifully.

·
Registered
4,445 Posts
Since you shot 120 rounds through it and you're taking it down anyway, you might as well give it a full cleaning. Good luck. Let us know how it turns out.

·
Registered
6,559 Posts
I would take a scrap of t shirt and a bit of mothers wheel polish and gently rub it on the feed ramp and get a nice sheen to it. The others have given good tips and should serve you well.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Ok, it's thoroughly cleaned and lubed. The feed ramp looks pretty polished, so I didn't do anything else to it. There is a little tiny burr at the very bottom of the feed ramp. I was going to file it off with a jeweler's file, but it looks like the nose of the bullet never touches that part of the ramp. If I still have problems, I'll remove it and use the wheel polish. I didn't see anything wrong with the magazines, other than a very little bit of grease, so I just cleaned them up and reassembled them. Hopefully I'll get back to the range this weekend and try it out. I appreciate everyone's suggestions and comments!

·
Registered
2,513 Posts
I would suspect it is a magazine issue. Disassemble the mags and clean them well. Next trip to the range I would also start by loading 10 rounds into the mag and shooting it. Could just be too much pressure within the mag until it gets broken in. If the 10 rounds works well for a while, move to 11, then eventually 12.

Reactions: Drewski

·
Registered
7,810 Posts
Welcome to the forum from Northern Oklahoma.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Dadillac - I disassembled them and didn't see anything other than a little greasy residue, which I cleaned. The manual also mentions tamping the magazine on your hand part way through loading it, so I'll do that in addition to trying 10 rounds.

It may be a good sign that after putting everything back together, I cycled through two full mags by hand and nothing ever got stuck. I was having problems just loading the first round before.

Thanks bigC!

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
Dadillac - I disassembled them and didn't see anything other than a little greasy residue, which I cleaned. The manual also mentions tamping the magazine on your hand part way through loading it, so I'll do that in addition to trying 10 rounds.

It may be a good sign that after putting everything back together, I cycled through two full mags by hand and nothing ever got stuck. I was having problems just loading the first round before.

Thanks bigC!
If it hand cycles live rounds, you should be good to go.

·
Registered
4,332 Posts
Welcome to the forum and congratulations on a great gun. Hope everyone's suggestions cure your issues but if they don't there as two possibilities nor covered here. The first is something I have experienced, the accidental partial release of the mag. The release gets accidentally squeezed and the mag doesn't drop free but releases enough to cause an issue with feeding a round.
The second is limp wristing..... without even realizing you may be relaxing your grip a bit and causing the gun to not cycle properly. It is common with smaller guns.
Good luck on resolving your issues.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Just a quick update - I took it back to the range this afternoon and shot 120 rounds of 115 grain WWB. I had two failures to feed on the first magazine and then no more. I consider that major progress. It seems like it's curing (or cured) itself the more I shoot it. I love the gun, other than the fact that I thought I got it for a steal two weeks ago for $289 and now I see them everywhere for $239! It seems to be pretty much dead accurate with no adjustments to the sights, and I love the trigger.

CaptainMorgan, I don't think its a partial release of the mag, but it is possible that there's a little limp wristing contributing. I haven't shot much in many years, and I've noticed on both of my range trips with the PT111 that at the very beginning I have to be very conscious of how I'm holding the gun. A couple of occasions I know I've "limp wristed" it. So maybe both me and the gun are getting a little better with practice.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts