Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i've got a bersa 95 for my summer pocket pistol now. i'm about to go for a 111 to upgrade to a 9mm pocket pistol, it's no bigger, and i get a higher capacity and a long instead of a kurz. comments?

·
Moderator Emeritus, with us always.
15,931 Posts
In the right pants, the PT111 works fine in a pocket. If you have a pocket holster even better. I have carried mine even without my permit in a pants pocket, "I forgot it was there, really I did". Tight pants might be a problem, but that is up to you.

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
my point being, comparared to a bersa 95, which i carry now. better or worse fo CC. it's about the same weight, within an ounce. it's about the same size (the bersa has a wide grip frame). and i get 9mm and more of them.

·
Moderator Emeritus, with us always.
15,931 Posts
jonyrotten said:
my point being, comparared to a bersa 95, which i carry now. better or worse fo CC. it's about the same weight, within an ounce. it's about the same size (the bersa has a wide grip frame). and i get 9mm and more of them.
Tough call for me! Never had a Bersa, do not plan to get one, due to PT111 working for me, holstered or pocket. I wear a lot of Cargo style pants these days, as tight jeans cause me back problems if I put a belt on with them. Just hits me wrong, so if it works for you, that is what matters. My loaded PT111 seems lighter in the pocket than a Rossi 357, and gives me double the rounds too.

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
the bersa is a knock off of a walther ppks .380, if that helps

i really wanted one of the new walther pps, but it seems that getting one of those is about like getting a dodge viper in 1991. impossible. so my 2nd choice is the 111. just looking for comments good or bad on how i would like replacing the bersa with the taurus.

since i don't know how much a rossi .357 weighs or how it carries, it's not very helpful

with the 111, i seem to be at about the same weight as the bersa, and even slightly smaller. as long as it's a dependable weapon, i see no reason against it. and in 3 years when everybody is tired of playing with their walthers, i'll buy one for $200.

how's that?

·
Registered
82 Posts
I decided not to go below 9mm in power in a carry pistol, so I don't have a 380. Also with mini 9mm pistols as small or smaller than a 380, it doesn't make sense to tote a 380 anymore. Kahr pistols are very slim and easy to carry, but unfortunately my Kahr CW9 sometimes nose dives when racking a round so I don't have 100% faith in it, yet. I am doing things to correct it, namely a feed ramp polish job. It has never jammed when actually shooting it and the rack nose dive can be corrected by simple resling shotting the slide on the same round (it will then chamber).

The PT111 is very reliable and I have 100% faith in it. As a double stack with a Hogue Handall Jr slip on grip, it is a little bigger in the grip and might stick in a pocket, but the grip feel is great and works fantastic in an IWB holster. I have a Galco USA IWB tuckable holster on order which makes it invisible with pants and a tucked in shirt (no jacket or vest required).

A true pocket 9mm might be the yet to be released Taurus PT709 "Slim" which is a single stack 8+1rd 9mm with thin dimensions. I may get one to replace my Kahr CW9.

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
WildRice said:
I decided not to go below 9mm in power in a carry pistol, so I don't have a 380.
that's my point. i don't loose anything in size, weight, and i gain something in ass and capacity. does anyone see a down side to this? forgive me, i'm an engineer, i may tend to over analyze before i make a purchase

·
Registered
10,043 Posts
So why not get a Kel-Tec P11?

Easier to pocket than a PT111 and also less expensive.

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
NYPD in AZ said:
So why not get a Kel-Tec P11?

Easier to pocket than a PT111 and also less expensive.
the first thing i looked at was a keltec. after much research, i don't trust the reliability, not to mention the "liable to break in my big ass hand" syndrome. i'm a 6'3" 250lbs wilting flower. and before you say anything about taurus reliability, check my other posts on this board. i've never had a taurus fail me. ever. i've got 6 going as far back as 10 years and have never had a single issue with any of them. zip zero nada. that's why i'm looking at the 111. but i'd rather have that walther if you want the truth (oops, didn't mention that. the new walther PPS. but as i've said elsewhere, they are damn near impossible to find. and if you do, it's probably going to end up double the MSRP)

·
Registered
10,043 Posts
Why would I say anything negative about Taurus reliability when I trust my life to a variety of Taurus handguns? I was just putting another option out there with the Kel-Tec.

I understand the size issue though---I'm 6'4" myself with big ham hocks for hands. So I do suppose the PT111 would be ideal in your situation.

·
Registered
10,043 Posts
WildRice said:
Big hands + Walther PPK = slide/hammer bite
Ahhh....but jonyrotten said Walther PPS. But yes I do agree...I have been bitten so to speak with my Bersa Thunder .380

·
Administrator
35,728 Posts
I just can't see putting my life in the hands of a .380, since the 9mm is now the same size and carries as many, if not more, rounds. "Any handgun is better than none at all" of course applies, but comparing the two cartridges, it's not even close, in my opinion.

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
texastaurusguy said:
I just can't see putting my life in the hands of a .380
of course, this begs the question, "ever been hit in the gut with 7 .380's?" you'll cry to mama

but i do see the point, and that's why i'm thinking that an upgrade to 9mm is enough to justify

·
Registered
878 Posts
It's all about choices. Weight of your ccw is as important as it's size. For me if I didn't pocket a Keltec .380 I would have an Airweight S&W.

·
Registered
89 Posts
I have a 605 and a pt111. no way do they fit even in a loose pair of jeans w/o showing a monster bulge (or are you just glad to see me...?)

·
Registered
2 Posts
I just got a 3rd gen pt111 and I like it but have only shot a couple rounds out of it. With a full magazine the gun will nose dive about half the time and it's bugging me. It holds 12+1 and only nosedives with 11 or 12 in the mag, and also only when the slide is open and you hit the mag release. Never does it with just racking the slide and I haven't got my hands on any fmj yet so the only thing to be in it so far is speer gold dot JHP. I've only shot 8 rounds out of it and it didn't jam or anything at the time. The mag did pop out but I'm pretty sure I hit the release on accident because the recoil from the +p+ ammo was pretty snappy and caught me by surprise, fired the rest of the rounds with no problems. I'm planning on making this my ccw and I need to get to the range to break it in and I'm hoping that it corrects the problem. I personally think it's because the mag spring is so tight and I'm hoping it loosens up a little with use. Any suggestions?

·
Premium Member
14,139 Posts
Is the problem with FMJ ammo or hollow points?

I'd carry with only 10 rounds at this point. I'd also load up your extra mags completely full and leave 'em that way while they aren't being used.

In time and more shooting, the mags may break in so you can carry a full magazine.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts