Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After taking my wife's new PT111 out to the range and my dislike for the Heinie sights, I bought a set of Williams Fire Sights 70897 for my wife's Gen 3 PT111. Unlike the Heinie sights, the WFS use SAE (inch) driver bits rather than the metric driver bits used to remove them. The metric size is M1.5 for the front and M2 for the rear. The sizes of the SAE driver bits are .050" front and 1/16" for the rear. The front sight is fairly loose in the dovetail while the rear needed some tapping to remove it. Also, the front set screw, which I placed to the front, doesn't sit in a depression as it does with the Heinie sights due to the location of the screw at the front of the post. The rear set screw seats in a depression as the screw is in the same location as the OEM sights. The WFS are a BIG improvement over the Heinie sights and you can acquire a good sight picture much more quickly and instinctively.

The missus got a bit impatient as I sighted the pistol in and adjusted the front sight but once sighted in ran almost 250 rounds through her new toy. She was shocked at how good the trigger was compared to her Bersa Thunder 380 and her last 9mm, a Ruger LC9. She dumped the LC9 because of the miserable trigger. She has also shot a PF9 and carried a P32 and both had a lot of recoil and were unplesaant to shoot compared to the PT111. The PT111 seems well able to absorb recoil as she never mentioned recoil and normally doesn't shoot as many rounds.

She loved her new PT111 as it shot like a champ, she was able to rack the slide easily and the pistol is very accurate at combat distances. The 12 round mags are a chore to load for her and she had to use a speed loader to get th last couple rounds loaded. My wife likes to carry with a round in the chamber with the safety engaged and was very happy with the safety on the PT111. This is probably one of the reasons she liked the PT111 over the new Bersa BR9CC which has similar ergonomics; the Bersa has no manual safety. Even though the grip holds a double stack 12 round magazine, the grip fit my wife's small hand well. Oddly, this is one of the few semi-autos that fits my hand as well as my wife's. We normally don't like the ergonomics of the same pistol... she will find it too big or I will find it too small. The PT111 is a winner.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Great deal brother - I picked up a Polish P-64 for my wife to shoot ( she can't handle my PT-145) but after shooting it myself I think ill be picking up PT-709 or PT-111 for her and I'll carry the P-64 in the summer lol.

Btw I love your signature!!!

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Does the Polish gun shoot 7.62x25 rounds or 9x18? I would probably get a 9x18 but there are times when the longer bullets are hard to find.

·
Member Emeritus 1946-2018
35,996 Posts
The PT111 is a winner.
I think so too...and a myriad of other PT111 owners here sing its praises too!

I have the Duo Tone and love it.

·
Registered
12,331 Posts
The front sight is fairly loose in the dovetail while the rear needed some tapping to remove it.
I don't know about you, but I don't like it when sights fit sloppily in the dovetail. I much prefer a friction fit. You can remedy a sloppy fit by shimming the bottom of the sight with a piece of feeler guage (.004" is usually sufficient). You just use a pair of scissors to snip a piece of feeler gauge to the width of the bottom of the dovetail. Put the shim in the dovetail and just tap the sight in over the top of it. You can tell when you've got the right thickness shim in place when you can insert the sight about 1/3rd of the way into the dovetail before you need to start tapping with a drift and small hammer. And always do your tapping on the tenon - not the sight itself. JAT

·
Registered
548 Posts
:nopics:, mainly we need to see the sites!!:D

·
Registered
12,331 Posts
It's not the one you were asking for, but here's a pic of a shimmed rear firesight. You can just see the end of the shim under the sight -

·
Registered
548 Posts
I cant wait till mine come tomorrow for the OSS and I REALLY hope they DONT need shimmed!! We will see.

·
Registered
12,331 Posts
I cant wait till mine come tomorrow for the OSS and I REALLY hope they DONT need shimmed!! We will see.
They'll work without a shim, but all the firesights I've seen fit a bit loose. It bugs me cause the set screw will kick one end of the sight up a bit, and the bottom of the sights won't sit level with the slide. I know I'm nit-picking, but it just bugs me. The other thing about relying on set screws to hold the sight in place is that you need to use a little blue loctite on the set screw - otherwise the screw is liable to shoot loose. With a shimmed sight and a nice tight friction fit the set screw becomes superfluous.

·
Registered
29,845 Posts
Reliability, ergonomics, accuracy, and a 12+1 payload is what sold me on this breed.

Awesome little guns.

Everyone who has ever fired one of mine loves it, and most go buy their own.

The "test drive" gets em every time. :D

·
Registered
548 Posts
They'll work without a shim, but all the firesights I've seen fit a bit loose. It bugs me cause the set screw will kick one end of the sight up a bit, and the bottom of the sights won't sit level with the slide. I know I'm nit-picking, but it just bugs me. The other thing about relying on set screws to hold the sight in place is that you need to use a little blue loctite on the set screw - otherwise the screw is liable to shoot loose. With a shimmed sight and a nice tight friction fit the set screw becomes superfluous.
Got mine today and on the OSS already!! The rear site is a nice fit with no shim needed but the front site is a smig loose so I will be cutting a tiny shim for it as soon as I find a feeler gauge I can cut up or something else I can use.

·
Registered
12,331 Posts
An aluminum can is around .012" which is probably a bit on the thick side, but it might be worth a try. Aluminum is malleable, so you might be able to flatten it a bit with a hammer and a steel drift. I usually wind up using the .004" blade from a feeler gauge. They're real thin - almost like foil. The good news is I almost never need the real thin ones for anything else, and you can cut them with a pair of scissors. They're just about the right width, so all you really need to do is snip the curved end off so it's straight, and snip a piece about .3". That should make it fit the bottom of the dovetail. You can get a feeler gauge at any autoparts store for four or five bucks. Handy to have around - some people even use them to gap spark plugs. :D

·
Registered
4 Posts
Does the Polish gun shoot 7.62x25 rounds or 9x18? I would probably get a 9x18 but there are times when the longer bullets are hard to find.
The P-64 fires the 9x18 Makarov round - ammo is sort of hard to come by at your LGS - but very readily available online. I live 45 minutes away from The Sportsman's Guide retail store - and was able to score a few boxes of FMJ for 10 bucks per 50 and Hornady JHP's for 12 bucks/25! Beats the heck outta ammo prices for my .45!

·
Registered
577 Posts
The PT 111 Pro is an awesome weapon. I use it as my primary off duty carry. Very reliable and perfect size for concealment.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts