Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,706 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well me and the fam took a recent road trip. We are beach folks, so this was a beach road trip. The PT111 and 738 were along for the carry. If any of you live within 500 + or – miles of Alabama or Florida, I highly suggest this trip. We started out from SW TX and went to Orange Beach, AL. A beautiful beach area with lots to do from shopping to great seafood restaurants and most important great beaches! I recommend Gulf Shores National Park, and any beach off the main roads in this town. This area was hit by the BP spill and had recovered marvelously. You would never know unless you followed the story in the news. Being cautious, I carried the 738 in a fanny pack, just in case for our trips to the beach and restaurants. The PT111 stood guard in the glove. I was worried about the heat in the SUV; however, it didn’t cause any issues. It was very hot, mid to upper 90’s during the days.
From AL, we trekked to Pensacola FL for a day on the beach there. Again, beautiful water and white sand beaches, great restaurants, and great people. After a night there, and trek to Destin FL, we discovered a paradise. My wife’s friends go every year, however, we had never been. It was worth the drive! I’m talking white sugar sand, water you could see your feet at 5 foot in the water, great folks and restaurants. The best beaches in this area, IMO, were around Okaloosa, and at the end of the bridge going Wast from Destin. The city of Destin was a little crowded for our taste, so we stayed around the perimeter. With the exception of the hotel we stayed at, and I won’t mention the chain as I don’t like to post negative, everything else was great in this area.
After a week in these 2 areas, we headed back to TX. And stopped by Biloxi MS. Again the beach in this area showed no effects of the BP spill, and was hit hard, and again, beautiful area and folks.
Just arrived to the homestead, and the PT111 and 738 seemed to enjoy the trip as much as we did. Its great having the reciprocal relationships with the states we traveled, and I felt comfortable with making several Wally Walks with the 738 in my fanny pack. At first, I was concerned with the Pearce Extension showing through the pack, but after about the 2[SUP]nd[/SUP] walk, I though no more about it, as nobody seemed to notice. This was true in all the restaurants and beach shops we stopped at. I was very careful to look at the signage before entering, and saw nothing that would be an issue. Saw more “no cigarette sales to minors” than anything else. As I know photos are important, I have attached several below.
If you are close enough, go, if a little farther, then plan a trip! Well worth it to this part of the country. Great folks, food, beaches and the right to carry, perfect combination, and least me, my PT111, 738, and fam thought so!

·
Registered
7,309 Posts
Sounds great! Glad you had a good time. I'll be in a little bit of AL next week, but they don't reciprocate my permit, so I'll be gunless. Guess I'll buy a Louisville Slugger while I'm there. :)

·
Registered
1,706 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
What state is you permitt? It appears the southern republic honoros many others?

·
Registered
7,309 Posts
Nebraska. We don't honor AL's, GA's or SC's permits either as I recall. Kind of silly. You're in Texas, so there wasn't a problem with reciprocity.

Anyway, the people are nice and the food is great in the South, so I'm still looking forward to it. :)

·
Registered
24,947 Posts
Sounds like a wonderful trip. Glad you enjoyed yourself.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts