Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a tough but good decision to make, which PT Millennium Pro caliber should I get? I own a PT1911 .45 and I love it, however, my wife hates shooting it after only 16 or so rounds because of weight and the grips. She also has an extremely difficult time cycling the slide and chambering a round. Which leads me to deciding which PT 111, 140, or 145 i should purchase. This is going to be her primary weapon when I'm deployed. Obviously it would be convenient owning two handguns chambered for the same caliber, but I'm not totally committed to that...I welcome any and all opinions on this matter. Also this will be "my" CCW too.

Regards,
Ryan

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the suggestion. However, her brother has one, and she couldn't cycle it!!! It was brand new and she has very small hands. If you watch the video you'll notice when that lady cycles the slide back about a half inch it catches a little. This little "stick" is just enough that my wife can't seem to get it past. But it is a very nice weapon.

·
Registered
5,211 Posts
Look at the PT-809 Compact. It will be more like the 1911 than a Mil Pro or 24/7.

If you are expecting your wife to like it- definitely not the 140 or anything in 40. Probably not in 45 either. 9 mm has plenty of power and a lot less recoil. With women- you can not just buy what you want - and expect them to like it. You have to find what they like and buy it. The 809 compact is slightly larger than the Mil Pro and a much better shooter. If the grip is not too big for her hand?
You might try to find an older 909 or 911.

·
Registered
7,557 Posts
The only suggestion I can suggest would be take her and her her decide. I thought my wife was strong until she went to rack the slides of some of my semis and couldn't do the majority of them. She just couldn't get a feel for it, it's not her strength. My 145 seems extremely easy to rack but she just couldn't do it.

Reactions: Josh45

·
Registered
5,211 Posts
Yep- the real thing here is "will she carry it when you are gone"?

If she doesn't like the gun- she will put it down, and not carry it. Don't be afraid to drop down to 380 or 32 if you have to. Just be sure she likes the gun and likes to shoot it.....and of course be sure the darn gun works.

·
Registered
7,557 Posts
^^+1 I should have mentioned that my wife decided she liked my SR22 for her carry piece. She can rack it easily, clear a jam, and with 10 rds of 22 I fell better than if she only had pepper spray

Reactions: bre346 and JoshNix9

·
Registered
8,802 Posts
I don't pick / choose guns, holsters, clothes, purses, shoes or lingerie for a lady (or wife) - you're on your own. LOL

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The only suggestion I can suggest would be take her and her her decide. I thought my wife was strong until she went to rack the slides of some of my semis and couldn't do the majority of them. She just couldn't get a feel for it, it's not her strength. My 145 seems extremely easy to rack but she just couldn't do it.

I feel ya with the wife racking semis. I'm experiencing that first hand.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
She won't be Conceal Carrying. Its for her at the house. I don't like leaving my PT 1911 locked and cocked for her....even in our bedside safe. We have two young children. This might be a little over-kill considering it is locked up, however, one can never be too cautious. I was also trying to kill two birds with one stone so to speak...b/c I don't really like CCW my 1911.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Wino...I think I'd be better off picking out a Coach Bag, then trying to find a firearm for her.

Ryan

·
Registered
696 Posts
I got my wife a Beretta Bobcat .22 because she thought it was cute, but she refused to carry with one in the chamber. She figured it would be easy to load if she needed it. I took her to the range and asked her to fire her little pistol and she couldn't rack the slide! She didn't think it was cute any more.
She saw my model 85 revolver, shot it and claimed it as hers. Now she carries it everywhere. 5 rounds of .38 special is nothing to sneeze at and the simplicity of "point and shoot" is hard to beat. You might consider something like this for her.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I got my wife a Beretta Bobcat .22 because she thought it was cute, but she refused to carry with one in the chamber. She figured it would be easy to load if she needed it. I took her to the range and asked her to fire her little pistol and she couldn't rack the slide! She didn't think it was cute any more.
She saw my model 85 revolver, shot it and claimed it as hers. Now she carries it everywhere. 5 rounds of .38 special is nothing to sneeze at and the simplicity of "point and shoot" is hard to beat. You might consider something like this for her.

I love the thought of a "Wheel Gun"...This might be the best option!!! Maybe the 357 poly one....and I'll only load 38 Spl for her....Man!!! would the 357 surprise her if I "accidental" loaded those for her at the range...LMAO!!!

·
Administrator
40,580 Posts
Well, since you narrowed your selection to PT111, 140, or 145, I'll suggest the PT111. I've owned both the PT111 and PT145, And I suspect your wife would probably prefer that. Me personally, I like the PT145. It's a great package! :thumb:

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Well, since you narrowed your selection to PT111, 140, or 145, I'll suggest the PT111. I've owned both the PT111 and PT145, And I suspect your wife would probably prefer that. Me personally, I like the PT145. It's a great package! :thumb:

Smokewagon,

I was leaning toward the PT 111. I love the 9mm, but i was curious with the with how the 45 acp having a lower Barrel PSI pressure than the 9mm (45=low boom / 9mm=Pop) would feel in the compact semi-auto. Any thoughts?....

·
Registered
6,961 Posts
She won't be Conceal Carrying. Its for her at the house. I don't like leaving my PT 1911 locked and cocked for her....even in our bedside safe. We have two young children. This might be a little over-kill considering it is locked up, however, one can never be too cautious. I was also trying to kill two birds with one stone so to speak...b/c I don't really like CCW my 1911.
Since she's not going to cc, I would suggest you let her try the 24/7 G2 .45 or 9mm. The slides on these G2 pistols are much easier to rack than the MilPro slides. If she's going to cc, the PT111 or 24/7 G2C 9mm would be the good choice for her, IMO.

·
Administrator
40,580 Posts
Smokewagon,

I was leaning toward the PT 111. I love the 9mm, but i was curious with the with how the 45 acp having a lower Barrel PSI pressure than the 9mm (45=low boom / 9mm=Pop) would feel in the compact semi-auto. Any thoughts?....
I think you'll find recoil in the PT145 surprisingly light. I know I did, as it definitely wasn't what I expected. The .45 is easy to shoot and handle. If at all possible you should borrow or rent one and give it a try.

·
Registered
6,961 Posts
I agree with Smokewagon that the PT145 has very soft recoil for a compact .45 ACP but the slide is hard to rack as compared with the PT111.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
++1 to Taurus10 and Smokewagon... you both gave me excellent advise and solid opinions on this matter. I really appreciate it gentlemen!!

1 - 20 of 38 Posts