Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I love setting outside on my porch. In the cold months I drape a poncho over a tower heater and am quite comfortable. I see abundant wildlife here in the hills and hollers of the Missouri Ozarks. I'd rather be outside than in in any weather.
This evening I sat the G2 on the stand beside me... just in case. Temp is in the low 40s, poncho draped and I'm happy.

After about an hour I picked up the G2, flipped off the safety and took up the slack... LOUD AND HARD TICK TICK TICK.... hummm it hasn't done that lately.
Thinking it may be cold weather induced I held it close the heather for several minutes..... no tick.

I don't know if this information is useful but I'm gonna try to keep mine warm

·
Vendor
149 Posts
The Taurus trigger safety is a hook that grabs the back side of the trigger bar, instead of the normal folding block system. It is not uncommon for people to experience it sticking to some extent halfway through the pull in normal temps. The "spring" used to keep tension on the trigger safety is a nylon leg on the safety blade. Chances are when it got cold that nylon gets harder and providedes enough extra spring tension that putting pressure against the trigger blade safety was compressing the trigger before completely depressing the safety so the hook was grabbing more than normal.

I wouldnt worry about long term damage from it being stored in extreme cold, but I would be cautious about using it in extreme cold as the PT111 G2 blade safety isnt known for being super durable, and the combination of it getting more brittle in the cold and requiring extra force to compress means it will be more likely to break.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts