Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
15,646 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Could fixed sights (factory PT92 rear sights) be installed on a PT99?

·
Super Moderator
40,396 Posts
No they are different, I posted a picture in another thread on this subject, will see if i can find it again.

Here you go:

Untitled.jpg

·
Registered
15,646 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
What about any other fixed sight?

·
Super Moderator
40,396 Posts
I have never seen any after market sights for the PT-99.

·
Registered
1,439 Posts

·
Registered
518 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
There must be a mount or rail to replace this rear sight, if so many rear sights are failing surely there's a replacement?

·
Registered
83 Posts
LOL, I thought about that too. Just different serial numbers.
So the newer PT99s have serial numbers in more than one place? My 80's model only has it on the frame in one place.

To the original poster, I'm not willing to take my sight off to check but I'm sure you could make one that would work. A piece of steel, a file, and some patience and you can fabricate anything. It should be easier to go from adjustable sights to fixed than visa versa.
If you decide to do this please document with pictures. I'd like to see your progress.

·
Registered
83 Posts
There must be a mount or rail to replace this rear sight, if so many rear sights are failing surely there's a replacement?
I searched the internet and couldn't find one. My guess is you would either have to find one for a Beretta(the pistol is modeled after a Beretta) and adjust it to fit or start from scratch and and fabricate one.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I believe that the PT99's front sight is taller than the PT92's also. If you were going to machine or adapt a rear fixed sight, you would need to take this into account as well.

·
Registered
85 Posts
I broke two rear sights on my pt101p. The first time Taurus paid for the replacement. The second time it cost me $40 for the replacement. Here is the solution. Install the new sights and adjust them; sight the gun at the range. Then take the broken sight and braze broken pieces together in the exact orientation as the new sights. Take the new sights off and store them in a safe place. Install your brazed fixed sight and fear no more about breaking your adjustable sights.

·
Registered
2,860 Posts
OR . . . . . you could :

(1) remove the adjustable sights,
(2) Mill the cross-wise relief cut to a dovetail profile,
and
(3) make and install a custom fixed sight in the new dovetail, and regulate it for the ammunition you are shooting.

This would leave the gun still capable of accepting the original (factory, adjustable) sight, should you ever desire to re-install it.

Yeah, it IS a bit of work, but it IS an answer to the problem.

Flash

·
Registered
15,646 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Yup. Field strip and change the slides.
That's what I did. After I had the frame bead blasted I swapped out the slide / trigger / trigger bar / safety / slide catch / and disassembling latch with a stainless PT-100. Here is how it turned out.
Picture 052.jpg

·
Administrator
17,590 Posts
It may be possible to fit the current Polymer PT92 Rear to the PT99 dovetail. As they are inexpensive, it would not hurt too much to try one. I would.

Also note that the Rear Sight (PT92 & PT99) retains the Automatic Firing Pin Lock, which contains spring loaded parts and they WILL launch themselves into Never-to-be-Found land, if you are not careful.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts