Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Took my PT840 in to my LGS have it shipped back to Taurus for a busted trigger, saw a nice used Taurus PT 99 for sale. $160 with 4 magazines and a spare set of Pachmayer grips! Had to buy it. Not a huge fan of this gun, but at that price . . . Put a hundred rounds through it right after I bought it, still learning how she likes to be held. Will post a range report later. For now: nice trigger, sweet slide pull, adjustable sights, exposed hammer and full metal frame! I swapped out the rubber grips for the factory wood, I like to let the gun move a bit in my hands (thanks, Jerry Miculek!). I wanted a .45, but I'll stick with 9mm for a while because of the round cost. This is a gun I could learn to love, if I can get 4" 15 round groups at 20 yards, offhand. I was hitting 5" 15 round groups at 20 yards with the PT840 the day she broke. With the increased weight and decreased recoil, that should be 20191002_213338.jpg do-able.

·
Registered
2,924 Posts
That, right there, is a pistol that nobody on this earth could NOT love.

I have a 92, just like that, and it is one of "my greatest guns". Mine will shot any ammo I have ever tried in it, and do it well.

When it is range day for "the bunch", everybody insists that I take mine because everybody loves to shoot it. Several guys have pictures of their wives/girlfiriends shooting it. It's cool.

Now tell me why those dudes don'r just go out and buy one of their own?????

Reactions: jwc007 and Russty

·
Super Moderator
36,063 Posts
That was a great deal...congrats! A caveat however, do not damage or lose any rear sight parts. They are made of unobtainium as stories here will attest.

Reactions: Russty and jwc007

·
Registered
24,615 Posts
Congrats on your new to you slide gun. The real question is did you wear a mask when you stole it?

Reactions: Russty

·
Registered
12,813 Posts
The size of my groups were cut in half when I switched to NATO rated ammunition. I run Speer 124 grain Gold Dots +P (which is very close to NATO) for SD/HD. I like my PT-92AFS better than any of the M9's I carried for over 20 years in the Army. Winchester has a commercial ammo release of their 9mm NATO military surplus that I have seen in Wally World and a few other discount places. It has a large NATO stencil on the side of the 150 round box.

Taurus PT-92AFS-1.jpg

·
Administrator
17,825 Posts
Sweet Deal! :cool: Congratulations and may it serve you well! :smile:

My PT92 has been serving me well since July 1992 and many many rounds sent downrange.
BTW, I reload my own 9mm Match Ammunition and many of my 9mm Pistols do prefer the 124 grain Bullet weight.
While I have fired +P ammunition through my PT92, it's power level is not necessary to achieve good accuracy, in my experience.

Reactions: Russty

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Bought it yesterday, going to a club shoot today! Just bought a holster, this will be my first match (though it's just a casual thing).

·
22,317 Posts
That is one of the best deals anyone has mentioned on the forum in a while. $160 for a gun that good in that condition is amazing. Congratulations!

·
Registered
4,769 Posts
Took my PT840 in to my LGS have it shipped back to Taurus for a busted trigger, saw a nice used Taurus PT 99 for sale. $160 with 4 magazines and a spare set of Pachmayer grips! Had to buy it. Not a huge fan of this gun, but at that price . . . Put a hundred rounds through it right after I bought it, still learning how she likes to be held. Will post a range report later. For now: nice trigger, sweet slide pull, adjustable sights, exposed hammer and full metal frame! I swapped out the rubber grips for the factory wood, I like to let the gun move a bit in my hands (thanks, Jerry Miculek!). I wanted a .45, but I'll stick with 9mm for a while because of the round cost. This is a gun I could learn to love, if I can get 4" 15 round groups at 20 yards, offhand. I was hitting 5" 15 round groups at 20 yards with the PT840 the day she broke. With the increased weight and decreased recoil, that should be View attachment 448323 do-able.
Good Lord Almighty! I would have paid a hundred more than that for that pistol...lucky dog! ;)

·
Registered
3,829 Posts
For $160.00 and 4 mag's I would have gladly bounced a check and then paid everybody's overdraft fees and still felt like I stole it.. Deffenately would have raced home and broke the piggy and called all my friends for a loan if I didn't have the cash on hand.

Mine is a PT92C, in my avatar, and it goes with every trip to the range.

·
Registered
4,769 Posts
For $160.00 and 4 mag's I would have gladly bounced a check and then paid everybody's overdraft fees and still felt like I stole it.. Deffenately would have raced home and broke the piggy and called all my friends for a loan if I didn't have the cash on hand.

Mine is a PT92C, in my avatar, and it goes with every trip to the range.
Good looking gun there too.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts